• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A discussion about CFB transfers

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This to me is becoming more and more common. How do you feel about it? Are you on the side of the fence that believes the kids should be more accountable and honor their commits? Or do you take up the defense of the student athlete and believe if they aren't playing let them transfer.

The reason I ask is because Oregon has been hammered by transfers this year. I, as a fan of a team that never had the issue because the team never was stacked with depth.

You fans of teams with winning traditions and big time depth... Are you used to several transfers per offseason?

Or is this alarming? To me it makes me wonder... WTF is going on @ Oregon!!!!

2014 offseason transfers

LB Oshay Dunmore
LB Tyrell Robinson
LB Brett Bafaro
QB jake Rodrigues
QB Damion Hobbs
WR Eric Dungy
DB Eric Amoako
P Dylan Ausherman

Now, a few of these guys had discipline problems and a few others were buried on the depth chart. But still, it makes me wonder if new DC Don Pellum is too much of a hard ass and or HC Helfrich and Pellum are not what these players desire at HC and DC.

It is a head scratcher. If you read this, thank you. Your opinion on the matter is appreciated.

Signed, Concerned Oregon Ducks fan....

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand QB transfers. An incoming freshman or Winston / Mariota type of QB where you know there is no shot at playing time unless their is an injury or a blowout.

But LBs and DBs is all together another story. They certainly would have seen some playing time as those are positions where rotation is common place, whereas a QB isn't.

The Ducks have an incoming stud at QB, Morgan Mahalak so I get Rodrigues and Hobbs. The others leave me scratching my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every major program loses non-starting Junior Quarterbacks. Its almost a guarantee.

The first year of SC's sanctions they allowed free transfer without losing eligibility we had a lot of transfers. (I think it was 11). Really killed the teams depth, so of course the season tanked. Announcers kept going on about how bad SC was now, and that the sanctions hadn't kicked in yet. But on the field you could see the lack of depth really hurting the team.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya 963, I am concerned about LB depth for sure. These 3 guys all would have been in rotation. Dunmore apparently had some discipline problems.... But sheesh, Bafaro was a 4 star native Oregonian and Robinson has a twin bro on the team.

One more transfer and I am going to hit the panic button.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This to me is becoming more and more common. How do you feel about it? Are you on the side of the fence that believes the kids should be more accountable and honor their commits? Or do you take up the defense of the student athlete and believe if they aren't playing let them transfer.

The reason I ask is because Oregon has been hammered by transfers this year. I, as a fan of a team that never had the issue because the team never was stacked with depth.

You fans of teams with winning traditions and big time depth... Are you used to several transfers per offseason?

2014 offseason transfers

LB Oshay Dunmore
LB Tyrell Robinson
LB Brett Bafaro
QB jake Rodrigues
QB Damion Hobbs
WR Eric Dungy
DB Eric Amoako
P Dylan Ausherman

Now, a few of these guys had discipline problems and a few others were buried on the depth chart. But still, it makes me wonder if new DC Don Pellum is too much of a hard ass and or HC Helfrich and Pellum are not what these players desire at HC and DC.

It is a head scratcher. If you read this, thank you. Your opinion on the matter is appreciated.

I feel like the recruiting sites have a lot to do with it. 1. We're more aware than we ever were about recruits and how good they're "supposed to be" based on ranking and 2. Recruits have an over-inflated sense of worth because of that same ranking and the popularity they get with it. So when they end up on campus and end up being behind someone, they immediately transfer.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the nature of the beast. You start a winning tradition and everyone wants to play for you. Then, you start attracting the top talent. Next, the star kids realize they are no longer the star and may not start and seek greener pastures. Not to mention, teenagers are fickle and change their minds every nanosecond.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't bother me in most cases and have gotten extremely used to it. I know these kids come to college to play and I can understand wanting to go somewhere where you might actually see the field. Some kids just don't want to compete for their job (just assume not have that type to begin with) and some just aren't good enough to move up the depth chart and I don't blame them for wanting to give it a shot somewhere else. A mass exodus can be worrisome (has the potential to be program related) but you can't control that so it's not something I worry about until I see/read something legit worth worrying about.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maize and blue nailed it.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, hearing this from Bama, UM, and SC fans eases my worries a bit.... So thank you.

Just not at all used to as a fan of lil ol Oregon, ya know?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the nature of the beast. You start a winning tradition and everyone wants to play for you. Then, you start attracting the top talent. Next, the star kids realize they are no longer the star and may not start and seek greener pastures. Not to mention, teenagers are fickle and change their minds every nanosecond.

Pretty much this. All of these kids were the shit where they came from and it can be a shock to their system when they get on campus at some of these big time programs when they realize they may be just another backup. Constantly bringing in top talent can that's competing for starting roles can make some of these kids second guess their decision as well I imagine.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, hearing this from Bama, UM, and SC fans eases my worries a bit.... So thank you.

Just not at all used to as a fan of lil ol Oregon, ya know?
In another 100 years maybe you'll have a rusty flat screen TV you can brag about

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2014 offseason transfers

LB Oshay Dunmore
LB Tyrell Robinson
LB Brett Bafaro
QB jake Rodrigues
QB Damion Hobbs
WR Eric Dungy
DB Eric Amoako
P Dylan Ausherman

Some realize you need to take control and make your own chance. Look at some of the recent transfers from Oregon and what they are doing at their new schools.
Brian Bennett lost out to Mariota so understandably transfered. Southland conference champs 11-3 7-0 conference record lost in 2nd round of playoffs.
Lache Seastrunk couldnt break Oregon's depth chart behind well every back Oregon has had the last few years. back to back 1000 yard seasons at Baylor. He probably would have started at Oregon last season but thats it.
Tra Carson another running back who left Oregon went to A&M only 300 yards last year but still young. A couple more will have their first real years at their new schools this season so we will see.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and like i told you before, none of those kids were set to see the 2 deep this season. in some cases not even the 3.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the university is giving a 4 year scholly then they should stay, however if they are only getting the one year at a time then they should have the same right to leave as the school has to cut.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the university is giving a 4 year scholly then they should stay, however if they are only getting the one year at a time then they should have the same right to leave as the school has to cut.

Agreed. I have no problems with transfers. I do have a problem when the school restricts where a student can transfer.
Fortunately, Texas allows transfers and does not restrict where they want to go.
Just this past off-season, we read how Texas Tech greatly restricted 2 QB transfers. The kids weren't good enough to start for them, but they were being told where there couldn't go. Mayfield and Brewer.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:
But I see WBs point, it is a bit scary for us fans.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and like i told you before, none of those kids were set to see the 2 deep this season. in some cases not even the 3.

Bafaro and Evans were on 2 deep. Dunmore was to contribute. With Oregon playing 22+ defenders per game I think we will see at some point a depth concern at that one position.

Ausherman was battling for punter job.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest thing I don't understand are the kids that really can't cut it and will transfer to a much smaller school to play and leave a full ride at a serious major university. The amount of kids that don't put the value on a solid free education is just mind boggling to me.

If you can't cut it in a major conference your chances of playing at the next level are virtually zero so get an education and do something with your life.