• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A couple of dynasty league questions.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to set my startup Dynasty league with the best settings I can and in that regard I have a few questions for those of you who have been doing Dynasty for more than a couple of years.

1. How many IR spots do you typically have in your leagues? My league currently has 1 but I'm thinking 2 might be better.

2. How many bench spots would you typically have for the following starting positions:

(1)QB, (2)RB, (2)WR, (1)TE, (2)Flex, (1)K, (1) DEF

I currently have 12 bench spots but

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Depends on your IR rules. If they have to be on IR, then 1 or 2 would be fine. If they have to be out, then you may want like 2 or 3 for the last minute scratches. If you can differentiate between an injury IR and the Covid IR, I would suggest unlimited for covid. You never know what is going to happen there. I'm not a fan of being able to put anyone with an injury designation on IR. People tend to load them up with probable guys and have to drop a bunch of people at the end of the week and it gets hectic. Plus, I just don't think that is what the IR should be used for, but that is just me.

2. Depends on how deep you want to go. 1 bench spot per starter is a decent rule of thumb. 10 starter spots and 12 bench is not unreasonable, though. I suggest maybe setting max players per positions, though.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reposting this because I accidentally posted it to begin with and then the time to edit it expired.

I'm trying to set my startup Dynasty league with the best settings(understanding there is no consensus on what is "best") I can and in that regard I have a few questions for those of you who have been doing Dynasty for more than a couple of years.

1. How many IR spots do you typically have in your leagues? My league currently has 1 but I'm thinking 2 might be better.

2. How many bench spots would you typically have for the following starting positions:

(1)QB, (2)RB, (2)WR, (1)TE, (2)Flex, (1)K, (1) DEF

I currently have 10 bench spots but am thinking more is best for a dynasty league.

3. For those of you who have had taxi squads in your Dynasty leagues, how did you configure them and did you find them beneficial or not so much? In the Sleeper app where I have the option of making it for first-year players only or any players and I have it set to 1st year only, and I can set it to allow players to remain on it indefinitely, 1, 2, 3, or 4 years and I have it set to 1 year.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Depends on your IR rules. If they have to be on IR, then 1 or 2 would be fine. If they have to be out, then you may want like 2 or 3 for the last minute scratches. If you can differentiate between an injury IR and the Covid IR, I would suggest unlimited for covid. You never know what is going to happen there. I'm not a fan of being able to put anyone with an injury designation on IR. People tend to load them up with probable guys and have to drop a bunch of people at the end of the week and it gets hectic. Plus, I just don't think that is what the IR should be used for, but that is just me.

2. Depends on how deep you want to go. 1 bench spot per starter is a decent rule of thumb. 10 starter spots and 12 bench is not unreasonable, though. I suggest maybe setting max players per positions, though.
Thanks!

Sleeper doesn't have a separate designation for covid-19 so in thinking 2 is best # of IR slots.

I did set max players per position.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some of my thoughts/opinions for dynasty:

taxi squad for rookies only and once they get pulled, they can't go back to taxi, you have to make a spot on your bench or cut/trade them

I like deep leagues, so if you have 12 owners, I'd set rosters at LEAST at 24. Don't forget, owners should be balancing the "win-now" mentality with building for the future, so having a couple roster spots for stashes and a couple spots for present-day flex/bye week value players.

Cut rookie draft down to 3 rounds. Just like rivers/lakes get stocked with fish, limiting the rookie draft rounds will help re-stock the waiver pool naturally in your league as today's players age out and new outliers emerge from day 3 picks/UDFA pool.

DO NOT veto trades - everyone is an adult and can make their own decisions.

This piece is more work for commish, but I've liked it a lot in the leagues I'm in with the folks here - rosters expand during the offseason to allow space for 2v1 or 3v1 trades and picks for player trades etc, as well as giving managers some wiggle room to add rookies in the draft without cutting other players. It's also fun to have strict roster limits and force owners to making tough decisions, just pick your poison and see what works for you and what your leaguemates like

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) our dynasty has 8 IR spots. Yes, its a lot but why should owners be forced to cut reserves or future prospects because of injury. It makes spring cuts interesting too.

2) 12 bench + a taxi is a lot imo. Will make for a shallow waiver pool.

3) our taxi has 4 spots. Set for both rookies or vets. Locks at kickoff when the season starts. After that you can move players off taxi, but cant backfill.

Thanks!

Sleeper doesn't have a separate designation for covid-19 so in thinking 2 is best # of IR slots.

I did set max players per position.
Not true. They had a COVID designation last year. Probably just not active in preseason.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw with our 8 IR spots, i wanna say the most players an owner had on IR was 5. Most had 2 or 3.

But again, as i posted, having a limit on IR spots basically penalizes the owner twice imo. Once cause he loses the injured player and 2nd if there are not enough IR spots, he has to make a cut to open up a reserve spot on the bench.