• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9 Decade MLB Draft : CHAT

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you are joking, but i still want to ask you a hypothetical...

if you take 2 players top 10 seasons, Lets call the players Player A, and Player B...
of both players top 10 seasons you made a list of the top 10 seasons amongst the 2...

Player B is on the list 7 times while player A is on the list 3 times, but Player A's 3 times were the BEST 3 seasons on the list(not even statistically debatable)...

Which player do you think is better??
It does matter. NFL example...Roger Staubach never threw for as many yards or TDs in a season as Jay Cutler. Jay Cutler couldn't hold Staubach's jock.

Greatness can only be judged by how dominant a player was against his peers. Rule changes, equipment upgrades, steroids, etc.tend to skew the numbers. Why is it no one ever hit 70 HR's before Bonds and no one has since? MLB tests for Roids now, though I can tell you, most of the guys in the MLB HAVE used at one point or another. The last two years, I coached for MVP Elite and DBat Dallas. Those two squads combined to send 36 of 40 players to college baseball teams. I'm in contact with nearly all those boys, and the stories about the level of steroid use in colleges across the board is stunning, far worse than I would have thought in baseball. Some teams are literally 70%-80% using, some places, the juice is simply there in your locker when you walk in....there was even one instance(great kid, Christian HS school, beyond reproach) where an assistant COACH talked to him about "doing what he had to to gain 25 lbs"....one school where it is rampant, the strength coach comes in every Tuesday and says "injection day"...and these are BASEBALL teams. I can only imagine what it's like in football

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you are joking, but i still want to ask you a hypothetical...

if you take 2 players top 10 seasons, Lets call the players Player A, and Player B...
of both players top 10 seasons you made a list of the top 10 seasons amongst the 2...

Player B is on the list 7 times while player A is on the list 3 times, but Player A's 3 times were the BEST 3 seasons on the list(not even statistically debatable)...

Which player do you think is better??

That's the big dilemma. We used to say "peak" or "prime" when describing the players so people would have an idea how to compare the players. But then the Barry Bonds question came up - Are you playing 73HR Barry or 40/40 Barry? - and people at that point just threw their hands up and more and more look to the career numbers.

As people's preferences for players have changed, I've found that the players I usually take are very discounted.

You either take the players you think people will vote for, or you take the players you like. I take the players I like - and rarely can argue my way out of the first round any more, and the one draft I took who I thought everyone else would like - I won my only time......

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 438.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Ritz on the clock, since Purguy got skipped before?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does matter. NFL example...Roger Staubach never threw for as many yards or TDs in a season as Jay Cutler. Jay Cutler couldn't hold Staubach's jock.

Greatness can only be judged by how dominant a player was against his peers. Rule changes, equipment upgrades, steroids, etc.tend to skew the numbers. Why is it no one ever hit 70 HR's before Bonds and no one has since? MLB tests for Roids now, though I can tell you, most of the guys in the MLB HAVE used at one point or another. The last two years, I coached for MVP Elite and DBat Dallas. Those two squads combined to send 36 of 40 players to college baseball teams. I'm in contact with nearly all those boys, and the stories about the level of steroid use in colleges across the board is stunning, far worse than I would have thought in baseball. Some teams are literally 70%-80% using, some places, the juice is simply there in your locker when you walk in....there was even one instance(great kid, Christian HS school, beyond reproach) where an assistant COACH talked to him about "doing what he had to to gain 25 lbs"....one school where it is rampant, the strength coach comes in every Tuesday and says "injection day"...and these are BASEBALL teams. I can only imagine what it's like in football

Didn't say it didn't matter, i said it was all taken into account already... meaning for the hypothetical it is irrelevant...

But either way, it was a poorly asked question...

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Ritz on the clock, since Purguy got skipped before?

I gave nos my list if I am OTC. Don't want to accidentally skip purguy if we are waiting for him.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@purguy12 i believe you're up for 2 picks... @ehb5 is up for 1...

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Nosferatu is up but since @MilkSpiller22 is on deck I probably won't get a pick tonight so I'm not texting anyone... :heh:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wednesday afternoon, I took my cub scout pack on a tour of the police station with the boys from the older packs at our church. It is one of the requirements that they tour a municipal building and speak to a police officer, lawyer, fire fighter, etc. Our group was so large that we went up the elevator in two groups - me in the second one. When I arrived in the lobby of the station, I noticed one of my 8 year olds standing alone staring at a plaque on the wall.

I quietly stood beside him and he whispered, "That's my grandpa." The plague was an end of watch memorial. I'd known his grandfather had been a police officer who had passed away about a year ago, but in preparing for this trip, that fact hadn't come up.

In Feb. 2015, this young man's grandfather was attacked with a knife while responding to a shop lifting incident. He would pass in surgery trying to correct issues that developed from his knife wound. It was an event that happened before I met this young man, but from what I have gathered from his mother - he hasn't been the same since, having once been a highly energetic, boisterous young boy - and now an extremely quiet boy who has problems with being around other people. He's made a great deal of progress since joining my wife and I in our pack about 2 months ago.

Not knowing what else to do, I just stood there with him, quietly reflecting on the sacrifice his grandfather gave this small community. As near as I can find, he has been the only officer to pass from duty related injuries since the founding of the department in 1893.

When the tour started, this boy and I brought up the rear of the group. Every officer and employee of the department made sure to greet this young man and ask about his school and his life, as well as give him updates on what was happening at the station. In the conference room in back, his grandfather's dress uniform was framed in another memorial.

A call came in before the tour was completed, and the officer leading the tour had to leave, so the tour ended early. As we reached the parking lot, the officer leading the tour was pulling out of the in front of us, and as fate would have it - she was driving the grandfather's old car.

That was just too much for him. The young scout just couldn't handle it any more, and broke down into inconsolable tears. He had been the most excited of all the boys to go to the station, but just too many reminders of what he had lost. We tried to comfort him, but he was still having emotional issues when his mother picked him up a half hour later.

I can't even say how I feel, but I grieve with this young man. His grandfather was the only father figure he had ever had, and he has lost a relationship that extremely important to him.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wednesday afternoon, I took my cub scout pack on a tour of the police station with the boys from the older packs at our church. It is one of the requirements that they tour a municipal building and speak to a police officer, lawyer, fire fighter, etc. Our group was so large that we went up the elevator in two groups - me in the second one. When I arrived in the lobby of the station, I noticed one of my 8 year olds standing alone staring at a plaque on the wall.

I quietly stood beside him and he whispered, "That's my grandpa." The plague was an end of watch memorial. I'd known his grandfather had been a police officer who had passed away about a year ago, but in preparing for this trip, that fact hadn't come up.

In Feb. 2015, this young man's grandfather was attacked with a knife while responding to a shop lifting incident. He would pass in surgery trying to correct issues that developed from his knife wound. It was an event that happened before I met this young man, but from what I have gathered from his mother - he hasn't been the same since, having once been a highly energetic, boisterous young boy - and now an extremely quiet boy who has problems with being around other people. He's made a great deal of progress since joining my wife and I in our pack about 2 months ago.

Not knowing what else to do, I just stood there with him, quietly reflecting on the sacrifice his grandfather gave this small community. As near as I can find, he has been the only officer to pass from duty related injuries since the founding of the department in 1893.

When the tour started, this boy and I brought up the rear of the group. Every officer and employee of the department made sure to greet this young man and ask about his school and his life, as well as give him updates on what was happening at the station. In the conference room in back, his grandfather's dress uniform was framed in another memorial.

A call came in before the tour was completed, and the officer leading the tour had to leave, so the tour ended early. As we reached the parking lot, the officer leading the tour was pulling out of the in front of us, and as fate would have it - she was driving the grandfather's old car.

That was just too much for him. The young scout just couldn't handle it any more, and broke down into inconsolable tears. He had been the most excited of all the boys to go to the station, but just too many reminders of what he had lost. We tried to comfort him, but he was still having emotional issues when his mother picked him up a half hour later.

I can't even say how I feel, but I grieve with this young man. His grandfather was the only father figure he had ever had, and he has lost a relationship that extremely important to him.
His Grandpa was a Hero. He probably could have made more money doing something else, but chose a noble profession to help the people in his community. Hopefully the young man will follow in his footsteps. I think sometimes when people are ripping police officers as a whole, they should remember that 99% of the officers are just there to help

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge game for the Indians, this could be the turning point of the series. If they can pull one out they have Kluber for Game 4.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @wlk3 Kawhi is playing ball like a superstar lol

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge game for the Indians, this could be the turning point of the series. If they can pull one out they have Kluber for Game 4.
Or the end for the Indians...I think they should have held him out till game 5 to guarantee they get back home

Side note, I wouldn't mind if the Indians won tonight, got an East Texas boy in the bump...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or the end for the Indians...I think they should have held him out till game 5 to guarantee they get back home

Side note, I wouldn't mind if the Indians won tonight, got an East Texas boy in the bump...

Yeah, well if they go down 2-1 possibly they would need a game 4 win IMO...then if they win it could set up well going into a Game 5. It's hard to say bc the Cubs rotation is so damn good. It will be a long, tough series.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did text WLK

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say he is a beast on defense and has been for sometime.

Players who have won the DPOY award multiple times:

Dikembe Mutumbo 4
Ben Wallace 4
Dwight Howard 3
Alonzo Mourning 2
Kawhi Leonard 2
Sidney Moncrief 2
Dennis Rodman 2
Hakeem Olajuwon 2
Mark Eaton 2