• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/23 Still have life @ Bad year

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Jonathan Villar (S) 2B
2. Domingo Santana (R) RF
3. Ryan Braun (R) LF
4. Travis Shaw (L) 3B
5. Jesus Aguilar (R) 1B
6. Manny Pina (R) C
7. Keon Broxton (R) CF
8. Orlando Arcia (R) SS
9. Matt Garza (R) P

1. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
2. Kelby Tomlinson (R) 2B
3. Jarrett Parker (L) LF
4. Buster Posey (R) C
5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
7. Carlos Moncrief (L) RF
8. Ryder Jones (L) 1B
9. Matt Moore (L) P
Gametime Forecast: 64°F • Partly Cloudy • 0% PoP

1-1 in the sixth, but Matty Moe is getting a bit shaky...

Oh and GH again making the most of batting leadoff.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely forgot that today's game was in the afternoon. Impressive outing by Moore. And so far, the only bullpen getting lit up is the Brewers' bullpen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@calsnowskier , its taken him a while but Gorkys may yet fulfill your call that he is the next Blanco.
I actually was coming here to specifically talk about him. Dude is hitting .272 on the season. With his horrendous start, that is almost all-star level.

You gotta think he has almost guaranteed himself a spot on the team next year now...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually was coming here to specifically talk about him. Dude is hitting .272 on the season. With his horrendous start, that is almost all-star level.

You gotta think he has almost guaranteed himself a spot on the team next year now...

The OF may be a bit crowded with GorKys. Worthy of consideration, though.

Span (lock)
Pence (lock)

two-three spots open for

GorKys
Parker
Slater
Mac
Moncrief
Shaw

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Span (lock)
Pence (lock)

two-three spots open for

GorKys
Parker
Slater
Mac
Moncrief
Shaw
Moncrief is the low man on this totem pole. He may not make it to spring training. I would guess he becomes a dfa casulty by November.

Could it be possible that Span gets traded in the offseason? I doubt it but it would make sense. He would fetch more than Pence (probably couldn't even trade Pence if he was willing) and there are enough pieces here (Hernandez, Parker and Slater) to replace him. His defense isn't that good and his bat can be replaced easily.

So if that were to happen, we are looking possibly at an outfield of Slater, Hernandez, Pence, Parker and either Williamson or Shaw. If Shaw makes it, he's the starting left fielder and Slater shifts to center field. Williamson and Parker, I think, fight it out for the 5th spot (assuming the Giants don't go with the 4 man outfield, as they are prone to do). If Shaw goes down to get some more time in AAA (not that he needs it but it may happen if he has a bad spring), then I see Slater in left, Hernandez in center and Pence in right.

All this gets thrown out the window if the Giants just decide to sign a free agent outfielder. No idea who will be available (haven't looked at the list on FanGraphs recently) but that seems like a stupid idea. The Giants don't need help in the outfield, they need to make Pence the 4th man.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There goes Dyson's scoreless Aug.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Span (lock)
Pence (lock)

two-three spots open for

GorKys
Parker
Slater
Mac
Moncrief
Shaw
As LHG said, Moncrief is low man. I like him, but he is dime-a-dozen. If is still with the Gs come ST, he is a nri.

I am not certain Mac is still in the org come ST either. He seems to have lost favor from the PsTB.

I think Shaw ONLY makes the team as the starting LF (or 1B). Which equates to him likely starting in Sacto. He is looking good, but he isn't on the 40 and he isn't kicking in any doors just yet.

So that leaves us with Span/Pence/Gorkys/Parker/Slater. Slater in center; Pence in right; Parker/Span in left with Gorkys filling in where needed. On the cusp will be Duggar and Shaw.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As LHG said, Moncrief is low man. I like him, but he is dime-a-dozen. If is still with the Gs come ST, he is a nri.

I am not certain Mac is still in the org come ST either. He seems to have lost favor from the PsTB.

I think Shaw ONLY makes the team as the starting LF (or 1B). Which equates to him likely starting in Sacto. He is looking good, but he isn't on the 40 and he isn't kicking in any doors just yet.

So that leaves us with Span/Pence/Gorkys/Parker/Slater. Slater in center; Pence in right; Parker/Span in left with Gorkys filling in where needed. On the cusp will be Duggar and Shaw.

So where will Giancarlo Stanton play? :P