• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

7 Round Bengals Mock

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Great idea. Draft a receiver in the top 5 that isn't even 6' tall, probably can't run below 4.5 in the 40, isn't known as especially athletic, and might be a product of a great passing attack.

Wait... We did that - His name was Peter Warrick!
Warrick was good, but I always thought he was completely miscast as an outside WR instead of a slot guy.

I'm not taking Chase over Sewell - who almost everyone is comparing to generational talents at the OT position. You don't pass on that kind of a player who actually fits a need - and the worst need on the team - for a guy who is going to be good, but not transcendent and doesn't really fill a position of dire need. Do they need another WR, yes. But with Boyd and Higgins, it's not a dire need.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing this team can do right now is more than protecting Burrow. (which involves also developing the run game, meaning upgrading the OL)

not every rookie WR can really make an impact. We could use maybe an upgrade at TE, at some point past round 1

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing this team can do right now is more than protecting Burrow. (which involves also developing the run game, meaning upgrading the OL)

not every rookie WR can really make an impact. We could use maybe an upgrade at TE, at some point past round 1
Agreed. A WR or RB is a pick when you have your QB and then OL set up. Regardless of the NFL game - it will always begin and end with the lines on both sides of the ball, and the QB.

If you want to run it - you need a line.
If you want to throw it - you need a line.

A WR addition would be nice, and I think they can grab one in round 2, but not in round 1 over Sewell. Burrow can't throw the ball to anyone if he's only got 1 leg and is on his back.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. A WR or RB is a pick when you have your QB and then OL set up. Regardless of the NFL game - it will always begin and end with the lines on both sides of the ball, and the QB.

If you want to run it - you need a line.
If you want to throw it - you need a line.

A WR addition would be nice, and I think they can grab one in round 2, but not in round 1 over Sewell. Burrow can't throw the ball to anyone if he's only got 1 leg and is on his back.
right, if we could sign a true upgrade FA on the OL, it is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath with the Bengals.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure what we do now.

Sewell is no longer an option unless we trade up, which the Bengals are not likely to do.

will the best player available be an OT?
do we reach for one, or do we just take the best player available (within reason, we aren't drafting a QB, but a lot of positions could be upgraded)

a 'normal' preseason might help weed out offensive lineman who aren't able to play at a pro level.

they need to protect burrow better, I would assume there is some way to figure that out before he comes back.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure what we do now.

Sewell is no longer an option unless we trade up, which the Bengals are not likely to do.

will the best player available be an OT?
do we reach for one, or do we just take the best player available (within reason, we aren't drafting a QB, but a lot of positions could be upgraded)

a 'normal' preseason might help weed out offensive lineman who aren't able to play at a pro level.

they need to protect burrow better, I would assume there is some way to figure that out before he comes back.
Well, as I've said all along - they should be signing at least one T and one G from the upper tier of available OL. That way, they can truly take the best guy there, or move back if Sewell isn't there. Can't bank on landing your guy at any position outside of being the #1 or #2 overall pick (and that is dependent on the #1 pick needing a QB, and there being a sure-fire #1 QB prospect like Burrow or Lawrence).

Secondly - not a sure thing that the Bengals miss out on Sewell just yet. Still a lot of feeling out there the Jets will take a QB. The big question is Miami with Houston's pick at #3 now...do they take an OL, or do they have a good enough line and get some help for Tua in the form of Chase at WR? They could also use help on defense. They could trade back if someone wanted a QB that was there. The Falcon's could also look at QB as Ryan is about done there - and depending on who the Jets take, you could still either have Fields or Wilson from BYU (who many think could go higher) at QB and don't forget Jones from Alabama.

If Sewell is gone, the Bengals could look to move down, if either of those QB's are still on the board and still potentially get Pitts, or maybe DeVonta Smith, WR Alabama. If not those two for offense, the rest of the 1st round looks defense heavy at CB and Edge rushers, both of which the Bengals could use as well.

The next OT in some mocks I've seen is Cosmi, from Texas who is interesting, but would be better selected in the middle of round 1, or later in round 1. That would mean the Bengals would need someone from down there to fall in love with a QB on the board and pay to move up that far - but would give the Bengals quite a bit of draft collateral in rounds 2 and 3, most likely.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Bengals ever trade down? I can't remember the last time that happened.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Bengals ever trade down? I can't remember the last time that happened.
Yes, they did it once or twice under Marvin. It's not common, but it has happened. If they miss out on Sewell wherever they land - and several QB's are still on the board - they have a shot of trading back and still landing some good talent that can fill holes while stocking up on an extra draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd rounds - which would help fill out some need/depth.

Will they? Dunno. Should they? I guess it depends on where they land in the draft, and who is available at their pick and how many QB's are still left on the board for QB needy teams that may fear out on missing their QB, or any QB, in the 1st round if they don't make a move.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably still pick the best OT available, but if they pick Pitts or Chase or a good DE I'd be ok with that.

as long as the OLine doesn't suck next year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably still pick the best OT available, but if they pick Pitts or Chase or a good DE I'd be ok with that.

as long as the OLine doesn't suck next year.
I think the OL needs a two-pronged attack. F/A is a must. At least 1 OT and 1 OG. Not bargain basement free-agent, either. They are going to have to pay someone.

Then, the draft opens up a bit, especially if Sewell isn't there. Still options middle/late 1st round and in the 2nd round that can help fill in the gaps - but not nearly as pressing if they don't land some help via F/A.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get ready for articles that say
"bobby hart had a great off-season"
LOL - I'm sure - but I think he's a F/A and will finally be gone.

But, F/A is critical for the OL because no team can go into the draft targeting a specific player unless they have the #1 pick (or in some cases the #2 pick). In a deep draft you could target a position, but in this draft there is only 1 OT that is top 10.

There's no guarantee that Sewell will be available - nor do I think any of the other OT's are worth a top 10 pick. That leaves the foreknowledge that this team needs to focus on OL in F/A and really prepare them to move in multiple ways in the draft.

Will it happen? Unlikely - but that is how it should go.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they actually thought our OL was going to be good, or at least average.

the combination of this f'd up year and this teams inept assessment of talent and ability put Burrow in rehab.

if they don't fix it, I wouldn't blame him for holding out to be traded. this organization is a total mess.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the OL needs a two-pronged attack. F/A is a must. At least 1 OT and 1 OG. Not bargain basement free-agent, either. They are going to have to pay someone.

Then, the draft opens up a bit, especially if Sewell isn't there. Still options middle/late 1st round and in the 2nd round that can help fill in the gaps - but not nearly as pressing if they don't land some help via F/A.
If we went out and spent heavy on the line in FA, management would never take Sewell. Just wouldn't happen. They still have guys they want to try and develop and burying them that deep on the depth chart will never let them see the light of day. Just saying.

So FA is first. If we spend in FA on OT and OG, and they are not reclamation projects, but actual top tier players...Sewell is not going to get selected, even if he is available.

At that point you consider WR Chase, WR Smith, TE Pitts, LB Parsons, DE Rousseau or CB Surtain.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we went out and spent heavy on the line in FA, management would never take Sewell. Just wouldn't happen. They still have guys they want to try and develop and burying them that deep on the depth chart will never let them see the light of day. Just saying.

So FA is first. If we spend in FA on OT and OG, and they are not reclamation projects, but actual top tier players...Sewell is not going to get selected, even if he is available.

At that point you consider WR Chase, WR Smith, TE Pitts, LB Parsons, DE Rousseau or CB Surtain.
I see what you are saying, but still being able to take Sewell allows the team to move on from the F/A OT, or know that they have a clear replacement in line. It's also not assured that Williams can move to RT, so you hedge your bet a little bit.

If Sewell is out, I'm on the Pitt train. I think he would take this passing offense to another level. Not that you can't use Smith or Chase, but I think the WR group is pretty well set as it is. Adding another solid WR in F/A would be smarter, and I think Pitt is a generational kind of TE talent.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Sewell is the best player available, we will draft him, even if we somehow upgraded the line with a Free Agent or trade.

I agree DE, LB, and CB are glaring needs, and a single injury could take what seems like a prolific passing attack and dilute it, so WR/TE are important as well. with #5 we wait and see who is the best player there.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league would never do it, but it would be much better if the draft was before free agency.