• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7.17 barleymen @ Charlotte

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS-sp-showalter-weaver-0804-p1.jpg

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrelated to Wade’s EWS…

since coming back from his minor league vacation, coming into today, Barts line is…

.280 / .357 / .600 / .957 with 2 HR in 28 PAs

Looks like just needed a bit of a reset. He was on his heals and couldn’t right himself in the Bigs.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrelated to Wade’s EWS…

since coming back from his minor league vacation, coming into today, Barts line is…

.280 / .357 / .600 / .957 with 2 HR in 28 PAs

Looks like just needed a bit of a reset. He was on his heals and couldn’t right himself in the Bigs.
Thank you for posting that I was trying to find his numbers since returning because clearly he was doing well since then

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catchers can't hit, Giants play bad. Bart starts hitting like Posey, Giants start winning again. Not a coincidence.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catchers can't hit, Giants play bad. Bart starts hitting like Posey, Giants start winning again. Not a coincidence.
The giants as a whole have still been very inconsistent with the bats as a whole. I still think we have major issues with defense and pitching (both starting and relief).

I don’t want the FO to spend REAL prospect capital this year to help this team out. Making a few smaller deals trading off some guys not named Harrison, Luciano, Dabovich, Hjelli, etc I would probably be ok with, though.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The giants as a whole have still been very inconsistent with the bats as a whole. I still think we have major issues with defense and pitching (both starting and relief).

I don’t want the FO to spend REAL prospect capital this year to help this team out. Making a few smaller deals trading off some guys not named Harrison, Luciano, Dabovich, Hjelli, etc I would probably be ok with, though.
While it is fine to see the team winning again, May, June and especially the first part of July has me nervous about the trade deadline. There's a few more names I'd add to who I don't want to see traded. I just hope they don't overpay for what they get back.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it is fine to see the team winning again, May, June and especially the first part of July has me nervous about the trade deadline. There's a few more names I'd add to who I don't want to see traded. I just hope they don't overpay for what they get back.
Yes but you don't like them trading ANY prospects, really any time.

Bad runs happen every year in baseball, including 2010-2014. This is a wild card team. How much it's worth improving it for the wild card run depends on what deals are out there.

I don't think FZ will just deal everyone from the farm this year but if he can make a good move that improves the team this year and into next then it might be worth it. I don't want to trade for someone like Soto (who wants out of Washington) just to be a 2 month rental. I would like us to go after him as an FA though. I want them to overpay someone like that or Judge so we are declaring we're going for it for the next 5 years.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When has FZ ever done that, though?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but you don't like them trading ANY prospects, really any time.

Bad runs happen every year in baseball, including 2010-2014. This is a wild card team. How much it's worth improving it for the wild card run depends on what deals are out there.

I don't think FZ will just deal everyone from the farm this year but if he can make a good move that improves the team this year and into next then it might be worth it. I don't want to trade for someone like Soto (who wants out of Washington) just to be a 2 month rental. I would like us to go after him as an FA though. I want them to overpay someone like that or Judge so we are declaring we're going for it for the next 5 years.
I think Soto has two more years of team control after this one. I'm not saying to trade for him (I don't think they should) but it wouldn't be a rental.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a rough re-entry for Hebrew #2. Fine hitting and no mittfuckery.

I'll take it. Final series score:

SF Giants 3
Manfred Ball 1

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crick and Reynolds for McCutchen.
In hindsight, sure.

At the time, I don't recall any of us thinking it was an overpay. We were mostly concerned about how good Crick might be, not Reynolds.

Anyway, fair point. But I wouldn't expect FZ to get fleeced very often.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, sure.

At the time, I don't recall any of us thinking it was an overpay. We were mostly concerned about how good Crick might be, not Reynolds.

The fact that McCutchen was spent was pretty widely accepted, though. I think most of us thought the purchases of both McCuthen and Longoria were I’ll advised. Most of us here, I think, wanted a rebuild. Not a facelift.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, sure.

The board was split on whether Reynolds was good or overrated, from what I remember, but, as cal points out, the trade just seemed like a bad move considering where the team was at. Why give up prospects for a veteran past his prime when it wasn't going to help the team near term or long term?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The board was split on whether Reynolds was good or overrated, from what I remember, but, as cal points out, the trade just seemed like a bad move considering where the team was at. Why give up prospects for a veteran past his prime when it wasn't going to help the team near term or long term?
I will admit that I was never too enamored by Reynolds when we had him. He just seemed like a tweener OFer (not enough glove for center, not enough bat for the wings). I was obviously wrong, but that was my read at the time. I expect the FO to be better than me, though. If they agree with me and I end up being wrong, that is bad on them.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't really read just what FZ intentions are most of the time. My fear is that he is enamored with the concept and the mechanics of the 'churn'. I think he likes the look and feel of extensive player movement. It provides an optic of 'accomplishment'. But ... in the details of the 'churn' which is more important ... quality or quanity?

For example .... how many imiddle infielders are enough and just what are you willing to spend to support the figure of 'enough' ...

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Soto has two more years of team control after this one. I'm not saying to trade for him (I don't think they should) but it wouldn't be a rental.
That makes it kind of interesting. 2 more years of Soto, who is only 23 years old. He's exactly what you hope one of the prospects turns out to be, and he's already there. He's 2 years younger than Bart.

Might be a good case for trading the farm for him, 2 great years and maybe you sign him up for more.

Just a thought. It would be the biggest get since Bonds.

That said, the whole league from the usual on down (Yankees, Dodgers, Mets) will be in on him so we'd probably get outbid.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes it kind of interesting. 2 more years of Soto, who is only 23 years old. He's exactly what you hope one of the prospects turns out to be, and he's already there. He's 2 years younger than Bart.

Might be a good case for trading the farm for him, 2 great years and maybe you sign him up for more.

Just a thought. It would be the biggest get since Bonds.

That said, the whole league from the usual on down (Yankees, Dodgers, Mets) will be in on him so we'd probably get outbid.
It would probably cost BOTH Luciano AND Harrison. And more good prospects on top of that (one or two of Dabovich, Hjelli, Ramos, Matos, Castro…)