• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Six Degrees of IMDB

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I started trying this the other day:

*Click on any movie on the IMDB Bottom 100 ( IMDb Bottom 100 - IMDb )

*Go down to the "People who liked this also liked... " section. There are 6 movies shown there as well as 6 more under the "Next 6" button.

*Choose and click on one of these movies.

*Repeat

The point is to try to work your way from the Bottom 100 up to one of the movies in the Top 250 (in as few moves as possible of course!).

I managed to get from Lawnmower Man II, up to The Dark Knight in about 15 or so moves, but my other 10 or so attempts with other movies ended in failure. Even then I almost got stuck in a Stephen King-centric loop (which for some reason never included Shawshank!).

I suppose that you could also try the opposite and try to work down from the Top 250 ( IMDb Top 250 - IMDb ) to something in the Bottom 100.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got from Theodore Rex to Beauty and the Beast in 10 tries.

That was quick!

I had no idea that Beauty and the Beast was considered a top all-time 250 movie.......

Ugh!

Note that I was also able to get into the Top 250 faster than mentioned on the Lawnmower Man II noted above, but I used a few more moves to work up to The Dark Knight.

Double note that this is a product of bored at work while most of the rest of the staff is on vacation.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably give it a shot when I'm bored at work tomorrow. Tried starting with Battlefield Earth, thinking another Travolta movie would be available as a jump off point, but still trash to pick from. Ended up selecting the next highest before I got lost in a loop of Menace II Society, Boyz N the Hood, Friday, etc...

Should be a good time waster. If you've ever listened to Doug Loves Movies, they have some pretty good games on there they play.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably give it a shot when I'm bored at work tomorrow. Tried starting with Battlefield Earth, thinking another Travolta movie would be available as a jump off point, but still trash to pick from. Ended up selecting the next highest before I got lost in a loop of Menace II Society, Boyz N the Hood, Friday, etc...

Should be a good time waster. If you've ever listened to Doug Loves Movies, they have some pretty good games on there they play.

I have not heard of Doug Loves Movies. I will have to check it out.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you count the movie you start off with, but got from Lawnmower Man II to Amelie in potentially 5 moves.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you count the movie you start off with, but got from Lawnmower Man II to Amelie in potentially 5 moves.

That appears to be a record!

See if you can pull it off on one of the more difficult choices, like one of the comedies or a foreign film.

...............or, possibly even more difficult, working backwards by starting with one of the Top moves and working down to the Bottom 100?