• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.29 Tiggers @ Balsa

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice 2nd inning from Wood, struck out the side

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If fans are going to get on Kap for pulling the SP too soon, he can’t be blamed for that.

Wood has demonstrated that he cannot go more than 5 innings, and sure enough, he gives up the go ahead runs in the 6th. Sure, Webb and Rodon have earned the right to go deeper. Wood, Cobb, Disco not so much.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wood was decent today. Not good but decent. I think he was in one batter too long. Sure, the traffic early was bad but he got the double play ball. Had Rogers come in to face Haase, it may only be a tie game getting out of that inning (or maybe the Giants would have kept the lead). But the loss really needs to go to the hitting. Rony Garcia wasn't that good. A split against the Tigers (and the series loss to the Reds) at home just double down on my concern that this team is not the team we saw in 2021 or in April. I do wonder how the FO handles the trade deadline.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wood has demonstrated that he cannot go more than 5 innings, and sure enough, he gives up the go ahead runs in the 6th. Sure, Webb and Rodon have earned the right to go deeper. Wood, Cobb, Disco not so much.
3rd time through the lineup is REAL (even Rodon last night, I was there, dude was nails and then started getting shaky on the 3rd time through)

Just heard a guy on the radio from Baseball Prospectus and he says even in the minors now no one is given more than 80 pitches or so.

The game is really changing right now.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd time through the lineup is REAL (even Rodon last night, I was there, dude was nails and then started getting shaky on the 3rd time through)

Just heard a guy on the radio from Baseball Prospectus and he says even in the minors now no one is given more than 80 pitches or so.

The game is really changing right now.
Seems really weird that it is a thing. Are pitchers no longer able to make adjustments towards the latter innings? I understand lesser pitchers having difficulties but even guys like Rodon is mind boggling to me. I wonder what the thought process is for pitchers when the lineup cycles a 3rd time through? Has this topic been talked about so much in the baseball world that its in their heads?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems really weird that it is a thing. Are pitchers no longer able to make adjustments towards the latter innings? I understand lesser pitchers having difficulties but even guys like Rodon is mind boggling to me. I wonder what the thought process is for pitchers when the lineup cycles a 3rd time through? Has this topic been talked about so much in the baseball world that its in their heads?
Seems pretty obvious to me, the hitters see what the guy has for a couple ABs, by that third one they kinda know what's coming

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty obvious to me, the hitters see what the guy has for a couple ABs, by that third one they kinda know what's coming
While I agree with the whole concept ... i don't believe it's that obvious. It wasn't like this 5 years or even 3 years ago. It seems to have developed over the past 2 years to where it is now. Not sure what's really diffent now. How did the hitters all of a sudden develop this 'edge" over the last two years. They weren't able to for rhe previous 5 decades. But it is a reality. Most pitchers seem to lose the edge during the 3rd time through the order.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with the whole concept ... i don't believe it's that obvious. It wasn't like this 5 years or even 3 years ago. It seems to have developed over the past 2 years to where it is now. Not sure what's really diffent now. How did the hitters all of a sudden develop this 'edge" over the last two years. They weren't able to for rhe previous 5 decades. But it is a reality. Most pitchers seem to lose the edge during the 3rd time through the order.
No, it was true before, it was only recently they started taking it seriously. Before it was just thought it's part of the game, you still want your starter to try to go 7.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it was true before, it was only recently they started taking it seriously. Before it was just thought it's part of the game, you still want your starter to try to go 7.
Yep .. the stats say you are on
The money. The SP role has changed significetly the past 3 years. By about a full inning on average. But this has been a slow ttend from about 2004. They cited a number of different reasons for the trend but tended to think when the number of teams increased the pool of stsrting pitchers decreased (ratio to team) as well as the quality of rhe pool itself.

I think they said that the latest figures are under 5 innings for a starter ..