• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.24 Communists @ Cobb

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donovan Solano faces some old friends tonight, he’s playing third base and batting second for the Reds. Tommy Pham is playing left field and batting third.

no Gs lineup yet

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder..

The Reds were 23-46 coming into this game. Worst in the NL.

I am seriously wondering if this is even an 81 win team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which manager/coach was the first to go to the mound in their Jammie’s? I know Boch did it, but he wasn’t the first, was he?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t be a moron, Kuip. The giants haven’t had any DPs because they haven’t had anyone on base.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team is down by 2 in the bottom of the ninth and both Joc and Belt go up there trying to go yard.

Hey, dumbshits. Your run doesn’t matter. Shorten up and GET ON FUCKING BASE!!

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get there are dips in any season but this team has played well since the end of April. There have been glimmers (the home series against the Dodgers earlier this month, for example) but I just not sure about their playoff chances. The 3rd Wild Card definitely makes them contenders though.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game last night. A buddy of mine's daughter had tickets from her work (law office), and we made the trek from the central valley. As I left home, it was 102 degrees, and I was putting on long pants and a long sleeve shirt and brought a jacket. I thought I was insane. Glad I did, as the temp in the 9th was close to 60, with a slight breeze and fog rolling in.

As to the game, Pham was LOUDLY booed every time he stepped to the plate, or touched the ball in the OF.

The hitting was awful. The Reds pitcher was throwing gas, and looked pretty good, but the Giant hitters looked uninterested at the plate. About the only bright spot was Longo's homer, which just kept carrying to CF and out. Belt struck out (badly) his first three at bats, and was going for the golden sombrero in the 9th, but flew out to CF. He's hitting .208 with one homer and one RBI in June (having missed the first half of June). Slumping.

The defense was also awful. I think Crawford had two throwing errors (only one scored an error), leading to at least one if not two unearned runs. And Ruf in LF is an adventure. He dove/stumbled to try and catch a ball and it wound up as a double. He did not look graceful. Two batters later, he had a chance to catch a fly lazy ball hit to him, but he refused to charge it and it dropped about 5 feet in front of him, driving in the run from 2nd. It was a big play/non-play in a close game. He has DH written all over him, and his being in the OF does not improve our defense.

The pitching was mediocre. I don't get the love for Cobb. At this point, he is not a starter. He does fine for three innings or so, but then in inning four, the wheels fall off. He throws hard, and has unhittable stuff for a few hitters. Maybe he belongs in the bullpen? His ERA is 5.50, and he's pitched 46 innings in 10 starts, meaning he is not even making it through 5 as a rule. I don't get the love for McGee, either, who has looked terrible for the last couple of appearances, and whose ERA is nudging 7.00. Yunior Marte looked like he had a live arm, hitting upper 90's with his fastball. Even though he walked none, he looked a little wild (he hit a batter). Still, three hitless/scoreless innings was an improvement over the hot mess that was Cobb.

It was good to see Solano, though he went 0-4. It was also good to see Aramis Garcia. When he was in the Giants' minors, I was very high on him. I was high on him when he participated in the Arizona Fall League. He was 1-3 last night and seemed to call a pretty good game.

Lovely, cool evening at the ballpark. I'd guess the park was about 2/3 full, not what I expected on a Friday night, but it was the lowly Reds (who seem to own us this season). Glad to have had the experience, would have enjoyed a win. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game last night. A buddy of mine's daughter had tickets from her work (law office), and we made the trek from the central valley. As I left home, it was 102 degrees, and I was putting on long pants and a long sleeve shirt and brought a jacket. I thought I was insane. Glad I did, as the temp in the 9th was close to 60, with a slight breeze and fog rolling in.

As to the game, Pham was LOUDLY booed every time he stepped to the plate, or touched the ball in the OF.

The hitting was awful. The Reds pitcher was throwing gas, and looked pretty good, but the Giant hitters looked uninterested at the plate. About the only bright spot was Longo's homer, which just kept carrying to CF and out. Belt struck out (badly) his first three at bats, and was going for the golden sombrero in the 9th, but flew out to CF. He's hitting .208 with one homer and one RBI in June (having missed the first half of June). Slumping.

The defense was also awful. I think Crawford had two throwing errors (only one scored an error), leading to at least one if not two unearned runs. And Ruf in LF is an adventure. He dove/stumbled to try and catch a ball and it wound up as a double. He did not look graceful. Two batters later, he had a chance to catch a fly lazy ball hit to him, but he refused to charge it and it dropped about 5 feet in front of him, driving in the run from 2nd. It was a big play/non-play in a close game. He has DH written all over him, and his being in the OF does not improve our defense.

The pitching was mediocre. I don't get the love for Cobb. At this point, he is not a starter. He does fine for three innings or so, but then in inning four, the wheels fall off. He throws hard, and has unhittable stuff for a few hitters. Maybe he belongs in the bullpen? His ERA is 5.50, and he's pitched 46 innings in 10 starts, meaning he is not even making it through 5 as a rule. I don't get the love for McGee, either, who has looked terrible for the last couple of appearances, and whose ERA is nudging 7.00. Yunior Marte looked like he had a live arm, hitting upper 90's with his fastball. Even though he walked none, he looked a little wild (he hit a batter). Still, three hitless/scoreless innings was an improvement over the hot mess that was Cobb.

It was good to see Solano, though he went 0-4. It was also good to see Aramis Garcia. When he was in the Giants' minors, I was very high on him. I was high on him when he participated in the Arizona Fall League. He was 1-3 last night and seemed to call a pretty good game.

Lovely, cool evening at the ballpark. I'd guess the park was about 2/3 full, not what I expected on a Friday night, but it was the lowly Reds (who seem to own us this season). Glad to have had the experience, would have enjoyed a win. Maybe next time.
Thanks for your takes on the game. I can remember, when we'd leave Fresno to catch a game at Candlestick, thinking how crazy it was to dress like we did for games. Failure to do so resulted in a miserable evening.

Are the rumors true? Has Crawford's defense really slipped a lot?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for your takes on the game. I can remember, when we'd leave Fresno to catch a game at Candlestick, thinking how crazy it was to dress like we did for games. Failure to do so resulted in a miserable evening.

Are the rumors true? Has Crawford's defense really slipped a lot?

1) Well, at least if I had forgotten a jacket there were jackets to buy at the game, for the price of a small house in Modesto! :D

2) I don't know if Crawford's defense has declined, but two of his throws, which were not hurried, were way off target. That seems rare for him, but becoming more common. :noidea:

3) The traffic getting out of downtown is crazy, even late Friday night. Once we were on the Bay Bridge, we were fine.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Well, at least if I had forgotten a jacket there were jackets to buy at the game, for the price of a small house in Modesto! :D

2) I don't know if Crawford's defense has declined, but two of his throws, which were not hurried, were way off target. That seems rare for him, but becoming more common. :noidea:

3) The traffic getting out of downtown is crazy, even late Friday night. Once we were on the Bay Bridge, we were fine.
That means a medium house in Fresno (at least, that was the difference about 20 years ago).

To me, that does sound like his defense is slipping. Too bad both his bat and his glove are regressing together. I wonder if he puts together another good year in 2023 or if that will be his final year in SF.

Yeah, the traffic. Its obvious SF was built up before the freeway craze hit California.