• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5 Years of Trade Deadline History

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
5 Years of Trade Deadline History:

7.30.11 Derrek Lee (Orioles) for Aaron Baker (Pirates-1B-2009 11th round DP)
7.31.11 Ryan Ludwick (Padres) for cash

7.24.12 Wandy Rodriguez (Astros) for Colton Cain (SP-2009 8th round, Robbie Grossman (OF-2008 6th round DP), Rudy Owens (SP-2006 28th round DP)
7.30.12 Travis Snider (Blue Jays) for Brad Lincoln (RP)
7.31.12 Chad Qualls (Yankees) for Casey McGehee (1b/3B)
7.31.12 Gaby Sanchez and Kyle Kaminska (Marlins) for Gorkys Hernandez (OF)

8.27.13 John Buck and Marlon Byrd (Mets) for Dilson Herrera (2B-2010 Colombia-$220k) and Vic Black (RP-2009 1st round DP)
8.31.13 Justin Morneau (Twins) for Alex Presley (OF) and Duke Welker (SP-2007 2nd round DP)

6.27.14 Ernesto Frieri (Angels) for Jason Grilli (RP)

7.23.15 Aramis Ramirez (Brewers) for Yhonathan Barrios (RP-2008 Colombia)
7.29.15 Joe Blanton (Royals) for cash considerations
7.30.15 Joakim Soria (Tigers) for JaCoby Jones (SS-2013 3rd round DP)
7.31.15 JA Happ (Mariners) for Adrian Sampson (SP-2012 5th round DP)
7.31.15 Mike Morse (Dodgers) + cash for Jose Tabata (OF)

Trades with AL=9 (East=3, Central=3, West=3)
Trades with NL=5 (East=2, Central=1, West=1)

The Pirates have not given up anyone that would currently contribute to their team. The top three prospects they have traded are Robbie Grossman, Dilson Herrera and JaCoby Jones. The FO appears to do a good job at selling high on prospects and not give away any key pieces.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we picked up a lot of slight upgrades for next to nothing. Dilson Herrera has a good shot to step in for Walker at 2B next season.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think this is the year a significant trade happens - something along the lines of Bell, Hanson, Brault for Archer or Moore. Crazy though, but Longoria is locked up through 2023 for reasonable amount of money. That could be interesting if Kang is guilty. Maybe the Pirates include someone like Locke in a deal to give the Rays some cheap veteran starting pitching for the time being?

Bell, Hanson, Meadows, Brault and Locke for Archer and Longoria? I think the Pirates are trying to not expose Bell's defense. I don't think they would have him playing right field unless they plan on moving him and it might be selling high on him right now after the 4 MLB AB. Also, Meadows should be ready next year and no place for him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eovaldi intrigues me immensely, but that might work better as an offseason trade. Still, even this year, he'd likely at least be a bullpen upgrade, and if they can get his sinker working down more often, he'd be a pretty good boost to the rotation. He's only half a season removed from being a very solid #4 for a couple seasons, with upside to be so much more. Years of control and at his lowest value right now, he'd be a good target.

I don't see a reason to make a big trade with all the upside the rotation already has for the second half.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no reason to trade any substantial prospects. The team isn't there this year and nothing the Pirates can reasonable expect to obtain is going to put them over the hump. But if the prospects get time and develop for the rest of the season next year could be a great year.

Big latter parts of the season by Bell, Kuhl, Taillon, Brault, Glasnow has the potential to trump anything that could be brought in by a trade. Of all years to break the mold and dump a ton of prospects for an impact player, I don't see why this would be the year to do that. I'd say just stay the course.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yeah I agree. Truthfully one of the best improvements this team could have is if McCutchen, Cole and Liriano play to their past levels. I would hate to give up such opportunity for future talent for a season that 3 of your top players are having down years.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid win today. Encouraging that Taillon got through 6 with the rough start.

Jaso and Kang have been ass the past month or so. I'd like to see Bell at first, Freese at third the majority of games. Still get Kang a few starts a week. I like Jaso coming off the bench. Kang still has upside. Jaso is what he is. A guy that gets on base. That's not enough for a 1B. It's not like his OBP is .390

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid win today. Encouraging that Taillon got through 6 with the rough start.

Jaso and Kang have been ass the past month or so. I'd like to see Bell at first, Freese at third the majority of games. Still get Kang a few starts a week. I like Jaso coming off the bench. Kang still has upside. Jaso is what he is. A guy that gets on base. That's not enough for a 1B. It's not like his OBP is .390

I definitely concur, get my home boy (Bell) back on the roster. At least they can have him as a pinch hitter and a occasionally spot starter. This team needs an extra bat with some pop.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe a 3-way trade with Melancon going to a contender and someone like Archer coming to the Pirates and prospects from Melancon go to Rays along with maybe one or two more prospects from Pirates going to Rays.

This keeps the fans from going crazy if Melancon is traded along with not giving up too many prospects already in the Pirates system.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. This is a bad trade for us but on the flip side were can we put Meadows with Clutch, Marte and Polanco. How about Moore for some lower prospects. I just don't see us trading for Archer.
Very true with the 4 OF's but there is always the possiblity looming of the DH in the NL. IF and HUGE IF that occurs they are very well equipped for it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if they can pull a Shelby Miller for a buy low? I doubt the D-Backs will be willing to sell that low after what they gave up to get him but looks like they are willing to take a loss on that one.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My guess for acquisitions: Archer, Duke and Gomez
Subtractions: Melancon, Hanson, Locke (possible DFA) , 2-4 more prospects

Huntington hates to let a player go without getting anything for him. Unless they plan to make Melancon a qualifying offer after this season, he will be traded.

Bullpen will then be: Gomez, Duke, Nicasio, Watson, Feliz, Niese/Vogelsong, Caminero/Hughes
SP: Cole (R), Liriano (L), Archer (R), Taillon (R), Kuhl(R)/Brault(L)/Glasnow(R)

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About a week ago Paul Zeise said the Pirates don't need to make any trade before the deadline. I also heard the pirates broadcast say they expect the Pirates to be quiet also. I totally disagree with these expectations. We need pitching. We cannot afford to sit quietly.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About a week ago Paul Zeise said the Pirates don't need to make any trade before the deadline. I also heard the pirates broadcast say they expect the Pirates to be quiet also. I totally disagree with these expectations. We need pitching. We cannot afford to sit quietly.
I agree with Zeise and the broadcasters. We can sit quietly this year for several reasons. Clutch is having a down year and hasn't had his usual rebound from an early season slump. We have pitching in the minors. A trade wouldn't put us over the top for a World Series run or even get us into playoff contention. Lastly, we aren't sellers either because we are still above .500 and not in a steep decline.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe NH will trade Melancon because he cannot let an asset of Melancon's caliber go without a return which is what would happen if they do not trade him. NH is trying to balance the short-term with the long-term. Letting Melancon go for nothing makes absolutely no sense for a team with significant payroll constraints and a valuable asset.

The only way to keep the fan base happy and add to the big league club is a 3-team trade with Melancon going to an AL contender for prospects which are sent to another team that will send the Pirates a solid major league starting pitcher with 3+ years of team control.

I think with at least one more solid starter this team can stay in the run even without Melancon. I think the offense is going to click and put together a solid run the last 2 months and with a solid starter to keep them in the games will really help. I think some of the offensive struggles have been due to putting too much pressure on the offense to keep up with the run total the SP has been giving up. If the offense can just play the game they are capable of (I believe the starters/bench has the ability to be one of the best offenses in baseball) then this team can go a long way in a year where no team is playing above .600 ball.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe NH will trade Melancon because he cannot let an asset of Melancon's caliber go without a return which is what would happen if they do not trade him. NH is trying to balance the short-term with the long-term. Letting Melancon go for nothing makes absolutely no sense for a team with significant payroll constraints and a valuable asset.

The only way to keep the fan base happy and add to the big league club is a 3-team trade with Melancon going to an AL contender for prospects which are sent to another team that will send the Pirates a solid major league starting pitcher with 3+ years of team control.

I think with at least one more solid starter this team can stay in the run even without Melancon. I think the offense is going to click and put together a solid run the last 2 months and with a solid starter to keep them in the games will really help. I think some of the offensive struggles have been due to putting too much pressure on the offense to keep up with the run total the SP has been giving up. If the offense can just play the game they are capable of (I believe the starters/bench has the ability to be one of the best offenses in baseball) then this team can go a long way in a year where no team is playing above .600 ball.

I think Melancon is a pretty safe bet for a QO, he will turn it down for more years and less $$ per year.