• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5 round draft?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The length of the annual baseball draft has been ridiculous, but dropping it down to 5 rounds doesn't sound equitable. After the 5 rounds - team can sign college and HS FAs with a limit of $20K signing bonuses. Naturally - all this - in my mind - serves the Yankees and Dodgers interests best - as they can pump much more money into scouting and scoop the best FAs up.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike the other major sports, MLB has a ton of minor league clubs, so a large draft was often considered necessary, even if it was used primarily to feed the minors. But I agree with you in both that the previous drafts were too long and this current adjustment is too short. Perhaps the one plus is when watching I almost never make it past the 3rd round, and often don't make it past the 2nd - I'll often stop once the Sox make their choice. Maybe knowing there's only 5 rounds I might give it a shot and watch it all.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, no baseball season for a prospect senior in HS or a junior/senior in college is going to really throw some careers off track. 2nd year JUCO guys too.

Not that they can't recover. It will alter what could have been, though. Has to be discouraging.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, no baseball season for a prospect senior in HS or a junior/senior in college is going to really throw some careers off track. 2nd year JUCO guys too.

Not that they can't recover. It will alter what could have been, though. Has to be discouraging.
I did read tho that we can expect to see a ton of UDFA signings as a result. That will obvious reduce their signing bonus money, but at least they can join an organization. The big question then becomes will the rich get richer by hogging the post-draft signings. They'll probably have to come up with some kind of distribution plan of sorts around that.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did read tho that we can expect to see a ton of UDFA signings as a result. That will obvious reduce their signing bonus money, but at least they can join an organization. The big question then becomes will the rich get richer by hogging the post-draft signings. They'll probably have to come up with some kind of distribution plan of sorts around that.

That's my fear with all this.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I hope so.

I guess I am looking more at the player's side with this, though.

Like, a junior in HS last year probably wasn't on an abundance of radars unless he was an Under Armour All-American type of player. Many kids were gearing up for their big "draft push" seasons as seniors, I am sure, and some would have undoubtedly made an impression. Not every HS prospect is signed with a college by the end of his junior season either. Many put off offers in hopes that their senior season will land them a better one. My senior HS season netted me three D1 offers when I was probably going to sign with a JUCO (still did, but that is besides the point).

Then, in JUCO's. You have 2nd year guys looking to catch on with a 4 year or stayed the 2nd year in hopes of boosting draft stock. Juniors in college get a chance again next year if they didn't already make an impression. Seniors are shit out of luck. I get that there's a stigma around college baseball seniors and none go top 5 rounds anyway. The view is "Well, they haven't been drafted top 5 rounds yet. So, why draft them now?". Still, many go 6th through 10th after being extremely late picks as juniors.

Just a shitty situation for everyone, I guess, is my point.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For instance, a teammate of mine from HS travel ball, Mark Payton with the Reds. He spent his entire minor league career until two years ago in AA/AAA with the damn Yankees. Playing great, but nobody is going to call him up with the guys they had/signed to that organization in the outfield (where he plays). He played the full four at Texas despite being drafted at every stop to get his degree and win a CWS ring. So, he's 25-26 years old in the minors and at that point. Not much trade value.

Last year, goes to the A's organization. Wouldn't ya know? 30 HR's 97 RBI's .334 BA .400 OBP and a 1.000+ OPS in Las Vegas AAA. Holy hot shit! Talk about a year. But a call up? Nope.

Finally, shots are running out. 28 years old. The Reds select him in the Rule 5 draft. Projected to break camp with them. Hitting great in spring training. What the hell happens? CORONAVIRUS!

I feel for the guy.