• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5/25 Mutts @ Junis

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf DH
Flowers 1B
Yaz RF
Longo 3B
Ponch 2B
Pedo LF
Fairchild CF
Bart C
Walton SS

Junis on the bump

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a bit behind (had a meeting about 15 mins after the game started)…

Either that kid was tipping his pitches, or we all of the sudden have the greatest power hitting lineup in the history of the game.

I am going to go with option 1.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hope he is OK, but no way he finishes THIS game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That old HR Derby show was a lot of fun. I remember watching reruns in, I would guess, HS? On ESPN?

Quality TV

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Hebrew throws a very good start, my other Hebrew yaks yard again after three last night. And Alvarez continues the moundshattery.

Four bombs on getaway day. Nice.

Maybe this team isn't doomed?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Hebrew throws a very good start, my other Hebrew yaks yard again after three last night. And Alvarez continues the moundshattery.

Four bombs on getaway day. Nice.

Maybe this team isn't doomed?
Junis really seems like a good find. Its especially shocking to me that he bombed so horribly in AAA but big league hitters cannot figure him out. Yet, most AAA hitters cannot make the jump to the big leagues. Baseball is weird.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Junis really seems like a good find. Its especially shocking to me that he bombed so horribly in AAA but big league hitters cannot figure him out. Yet, most AAA hitters cannot make the jump to the big leagues. Baseball is weird.
I figure it may be similar to playing with good poker players vs playing with bad poker players.

If you are playing with bad players, your high level bluffs and storytelling falls on deaf ears and they will make calls (or folds) that don’t make sense at the higher level. Bad players are just playing cards, not stacks (I refer to GOOD poker as a game of stacks that is played with cards rather than a game of cards that is played with stacks).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure it may be similar to playing with good poker players vs playing with bad poker players.

If you are playing with bad players, your high level bluffs and storytelling falls on deaf ears and they will make calls (or folds) that don’t make sense at the higher level. Bad players are just playing cards, not stacks (I refer to GOOD poker as a game of stacks that is played with cards rather than a game of cards that is played with stacks).
Agreed. Pitching is all about making the hitter guess wrong. Fastball or breaking pitch, inside or on the corner, up or down, what speed?

A lot like poker, does he have it or not, what is the pattern, can I get a physical read? Poker is all about getting your opponent to guess wrong.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Pitching is all about making the hitter guess wrong. Fastball or breaking pitch, inside or on the corner, up or down, what speed?

A lot like poker, does he have it or not, what is the pattern, can I get a physical read? Poker is all about getting your opponent to guess wrong.
Sort of. It's about disruption of timing. No so much fooling the hitter as getting him off balance. It's a nuanced difference, but one I found to be true.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of. It's about disruption of timing. No so much fooling the hitter as getting him off balance. It's a nuanced difference, but one I found to be true.
Perhaps the common denominator is that you are trying to reduce the confidence of your opponent, even to the point of fear. Do that and you will win the great percentage of the time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The poker analogy I made, while a part of the issue (maybe), can’t account for all of it. So what else caused it?

1) SSS. Both in this current MLB run, and his bad results with Sacto
2) Non MLB defense behind him in Sacto. Not talking just errors, but range and recovering from a bad hop or whatever. Similar to what we saw a few nights ago in SF. No errors were committed, but the defense as a whole was noticeably REALLY bad.
3) Lack of concentration in Sacto when the results really don’t matter. Hard to really worry about the perfect snap on a pitch when you are essentially just getting some mound work.