• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers without Jimmy?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners are already built for a game manager at QB that doesn’t have to do too much. I see them at a 3-2 finish at worst.

Their schedule is favorable. I can see 3-2 or better finish, too. And then they get blown out in round 1 of the playoffs. LOL.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say until we see Purdy play a couple of games. Need to see how he does with 1st team reps and starter preparation along with opposing defenses preparing to play against him.

They've got the defense that can still make a run if Purdy can just effectively manage the game which he did a decent job of doing today but hard for me to imagine winning an NFC Championship game or Super Bowl with Purdy at the helm. You'd need the defense to be standing on it's head and you'd need the running game of their 2019 playoff run to do that.

Yup, that's the silver lining. The Niners offense really just asks the QB to hand the ball off or make quick decisions on short or intermediate passes like 99% of the time. Purdy showed some nice mobility and a quick release yesterday. Understandably, he also showed hesitation, some staring down of receivers, and lack of quick decisions on many plays yesterday, but hopefully, this will be fixed with first team reps.

The Niners will have to get very, very lucky to go far in the playoffs (either that Purdy is a talent that every team missed or that many, many things fall their way starting right now).

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their schedule is favorable. I can see 3-2 or better finish, too. And then they get blown out in round 1 of the playoffs. LOL.
At home to the Giants Seahawks or Commanders? They may lose but I don’t see them getting blown out.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that Jimmy has a major injury every other year. He was hurt in 2018, healthy in 2019 (Super Bowl), hurt in 2020, healthy in 2021 (NFCCG), and hurt this year. LOL, we should've expected this!
Yeah San Fran hasn’t been lucky with injuries but Jimmy just seems like an injury prone guy.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are #23 in line to claim him.

Panthers waived QB Baker Mayfield.​

The Panthers acquired Mayfield from the Browns in exchange for a conditional 2024 fifth-round pick in July. They also agreed to take on just under $5 million in salary. The Panthers aren't on the hook for anything beyond 2022, and Mayfield essentially hits his 2023 unrestricted free agency year a few months early. It's potentially good timing for Mayfield, with the 49ers needing to take any quarterback with a pulse seriously after losing Jimmy Garoppolo to a season-ending injury. Although the 49ers and every other NFL franchise will be highly skeptical of Mayfield adding positively to their team. He currently ranks dead last in EPA per play. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, Mayfield's release was a "mutual agreement" initiated by Mayfield, who was aware he was no longer a part of the Panthers' plans. Mayfield should find another job in short order, and because he was cut following the NFL trade deadline, he will be subject to waivers. It's possible that he is claimed if another team is willing to take on his remaining salary. Per ESPN's Field Yates, that cost would be 1.3 million for the rest of the regular season. If Mayfield clears waivers, he will become a free agent.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Panthers waived QB Baker Mayfield.​

The Panthers acquired Mayfield from the Browns in exchange for a conditional 2024 fifth-round pick in July. They also agreed to take on just under $5 million in salary. The Panthers aren't on the hook for anything beyond 2022, and Mayfield essentially hits his 2023 unrestricted free agency year a few months early. It's potentially good timing for Mayfield, with the 49ers needing to take any quarterback with a pulse seriously after losing Jimmy Garoppolo to a season-ending injury. Although the 49ers and every other NFL franchise will be highly skeptical of Mayfield adding positively to their team. He currently ranks dead last in EPA per play. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, Mayfield's release was a "mutual agreement" initiated by Mayfield, who was aware he was no longer a part of the Panthers' plans. Mayfield should find another job in short order, and because he was cut following the NFL trade deadline, he will be subject to waivers. It's possible that he is claimed if another team is willing to take on his remaining salary. Per ESPN's Field Yates, that cost would be 1.3 million for the rest of the regular season. If Mayfield clears waivers, he will become a free agent.
If he clears waivers, he won't.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah San Fran hasn’t been lucky with injuries but Jimmy just seems like an injury prone guy.
He should've just thrown that ball away or out of bounds when he knew the play wasn't gonna go down as planned and the defense was about to converge on him after the pocket collapsed. He basically ran right into that injury. Hindsight 20/20 and such.
But that's football. Now the team depth on offense is gonna be on the line for how it all plays out for the duration this year.
The Niners' defense and special teams are still very solid...and they can carry them....but how far remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should've just thrown that ball away or out of bounds when he knew the play wasn't gonna go down as planned and the defense was about to converge on him after the pocket collapsed. He basically ran right into that injury. Hindsight 20/20 and such.
But that's football. Now the team depth on offense is gonna be on the line for how it all plays out for the duration this year.
The Niners' defense and special teams are still very solid...and they can carry them....but how far remains to be seen.

He was trying to get a few yards closer for Robbie Gould's FG attempt, and he did do that, but at the cost of his foot. He was a trooper until the end.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he clears waivers, he won't.

I was wondering whether some team would claim him. I'm sure a team before the Niners would claim him as long as the financial hit isn't bad.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was trying to get a few yards closer for Robbie Gould's FG attempt, and he did do that, but at the cost of his foot. He was a trooper until the end.
Yep...true...but....that little net positive is now far outweighed by the sum negative.

Gould would've probably nailed a FG anyway and they likely would've gone on to win that game too even w/o those few extra yards in the 1st half.
But it is what it is.....and now just becomes a footnote (pun intended) at this point.
Time to turn the page and focus forward.
SF still has the tools and personnel in place to go the distance and make a run to the NFCCG & SB.

Last edited:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...true...but....that little net positive is now far outweighed by the sum negative.

Gould would've probably nailed a FG anyway and they likely would've gone on to win that game too even w/o those few extra yards in the 1st half.
But it is what it is.....and now just becomes a footnote (pun intended) at this point.
Time to turn the page and focus forward.

Yup. Jimmy just couldn't help being the good guy.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that Jimmy has a major injury every other year. He was hurt in 2018, healthy in 2019 (Super Bowl), hurt in 2020, healthy in 2021 (NFCCG), and hurt this year. LOL, we should've expected this!
If they could only have figured out a way to skip the even numbered years, all would be good, lol.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering whether some team would claim him. I'm sure a team before the Niners would claim him as long as the financial hit isn't bad.
The Niners are #24 on the waiver list. Is it possible that another team claims Baker just to prevent the Niners from getting a shot? $1.3M is basically nothing for most teams. Because despite what we all think of Baker's ability at this point, he has had a couple of big performances before. Hell, the Rams could claim him just out of spite for the McCaffery signing.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Wouldn't surprise me if the 9ers put in a claim for him though I could see other teams putting in a claim as well.

I argued in the offseason the Browns would make sense for Jimmy G since they are set up like the 9ers are and the reverse is true for Mayfield as well.

It's the same offense he had with the Browns so it wouldn't take him long to get used to the system and the 9ers are set up like the Browns when Baker had his best year by having a strong defense and a focus on the run.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners are #24 on the waiver list. Is it possible that another team claims Baker just to prevent the Niners from getting a shot? $1.3M is basically nothing for most teams. Because despite what we all think of Baker's ability at this point, he has had a couple of big performances before. Hell, the Rams could claim him just out of spite for the McCaffery signing.

Yup. I could totally see it. I had no clue what Baker was making this year until your post, so that's why I was thinking that as long as the financial hit doesn't matter, a team ahead of the Niners could easily decide to claim him. I wasn't even thinking about the Rams because they're out of it. I was thinking that the Seahawks would have the most reason to claim Baker to block the Niners from getting him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. I could totally see it. I had no clue what Baker was making this year until your post, so that's why I was thinking that as long as the financial hit doesn't matter, a team ahead of the Niners could easily decide to claim him. I wasn't even thinking about the Rams because they're out of it. I was thinking that the Seahawks would have the most reason to claim Baker to block the Niners from getting him.
Seahawks would probably smile if the 49ers pick him up.:D