• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers vs Seahawks II

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After this past weeks results, most of us expect another 49er 'blowout'?! The line seems low at 49ers -3.5, granted its in Seattle.

Not calling this a 'trap game' but feels like a game bettors will lose. :-)

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle's run defense has been struggling.
They've given up 200yds rushing per game over the last 4 or 5 games. So we should expect a heavy does of the running game in this one (but we expected that against Tampa and we came out throwing, so who knows?). The Seattle NT that gave us so much trouble last time, Al Woods, might not play. That should help out our running game.

Seattle may also be without their starting RB Walker, who got hurt in the first Niner game.

Their CB, Tariq Woolen, is in the running for DROY and looks like the real deal at CB, so he should be avoided.

Gonna be a big test for Purdy. I'm sure he played in bigger, louder stadiums in college, but this is the NFL and playing in Seattle is never easy. If the OL can run block and PUrdy can avoid mistakes, we should be fine, but this is the seahawks and they always plays us tough, particularly in Seattle. Throw out the records and forget the first game, b/c I get the feeling that this will be a close dog-fight of a game.

Despite how well the 9er D has been playing, we're almost certain to give up a deep TD to Locket or Metcalf. It seems inevitable seeing as how we seem to have a blown coverage in each of the last 2 games.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've given up 200yds rushing per game over the last 4 or 5 games. So we should expect a heavy does of the running game in this one (but we expected that against Tampa and we came out throwing, so who knows?). The Seattle NT that gave us so much trouble last time, Al Woods, might not play. That should help out our running game.

Seattle may also be without their starting RB Walker, who got hurt in the first Niner game.

Their CB, Tariq Woolen, is in the running for DROY and looks like the real deal at CB, so he should be avoided.

Gonna be a big test for Purdy. I'm sure he played in bigger, louder stadiums in college, but this is the NFL and playing in Seattle is never easy. If the OL can run block and PUrdy can avoid mistakes, we should be fine, but this is the seahawks and they always plays us tough, particularly in Seattle. Throw out the records and forget the first game, b/c I get the feeling that this will be a close dog-fight of a game.

Despite how well the 9er D has been playing, we're almost certain to give up a deep TD to Locket or Metcalf. It seems inevitable seeing as how we seem to have a blown coverage in each of the last 2 games.
Agree... divisional game, in Seattle. I'm not taking anything for granted. Purdy has exceeded expectations, but it really wouldn't surprise me if he turned into a pumpkin - I'm halfway waiting for it, lol.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Hufanga needs to stay in the scheme and not 'jump' the shorter routes. Even if Seattle completes a long pass, make the tackle.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree... divisional game, in Seattle. I'm not taking anything for granted. Purdy has exceeded expectations, but it really wouldn't surprise me if he turned into a pumpkin - I'm halfway waiting for it, lol.
IMO Purdy won't drop off a cliff or turn into a pumpkin, but yes all QB's have poor games. Lets hope its not in this game due to the West implications.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, word is that he is off the injury report and Walker will play for Seattle tonight. He's a dangerous runner, so our run defense is going to get tested.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game was close right up until the end. Niners won and nailed down the division crown. I thought we passed the ball too much in this game, and I was wondering why we weren’t trying to run more often. Was it something the defense was doing?

Purdy was 17 of 26 for 217yds and 2 TDs for a 117 rating.
--For the 2nd game in a row he had a bad INT called back due to penalty. He is living a charmed existence with that kind of luck.
--Purdy even ran for a key 3rd down conversion.
--He looked poised and calm the whole night. Just ran the plays and made the throws.
--His numbers suffered from 2 dropped passes, one that would’ve been a 3rd down conversion by BA.
--Each game Purdy looks more and more legit. This was a tough road game on a short week and he looked just like he did in the other games. We’d expect this from Jimmy, and we’d be thrilled if it had been Trey Lance, but b/c it’s Purdy there are so many out there continuing to discounting his play. He’s doing what Jimmy is supposed to do, only better. He’s showing shades of Jeff Garcia out there. We might really have something in Purdy—he really fits this system and he runs it well. If he continues to play well, we’re talking about a QB competition this offseason (hell, we’re probably there already).

We overused CMC. He had 26 carries for 108 yards and a TD and 6 catches for 30 yards. You can’t give him 30 touches per game and expect him to last.
--Mason had 4 carries for 64yds, including a 55yarder at the end to ice the game. I don’t know why we didn’t run the ball more with Mason—the guy keeps getting good yardage but just doesn’t get enough carries. We should be using him to spell CMC more often, but we telegraphed a couple of his runs b/c as soon as he came in, he got the ball. We should be more unpredictable.

Kittle was the big receiver tonight (finally!). He had 4 catches for 93yds and 2TDs. One of the first big plays was a great play design—faked throws to screens on both sides and Kittle leaks out to a wide open middle of the field for an easy catch and TD.
--Kroft even had a big 28yard catch.
--Jennings had 3 catches for 31 yards and continued his streak of having almost all of his catches convert 3rd downs.
--BA was the focus of the defense imo. He had only 2 catches for 19 yards on 4 targets, but he also dropped a 3rd down conversion on a slant route that he should be kicking himself for b/c that play killed the drive.
--RayRay even had a catch for 16yds.

The OL wasn’t bad in this one. Purdy didn’t take the beating he took against the Bucs. Only gave up 1 sack and CMC went for more than a 100 yds and they opened up enough holes at the end to close out the game. That’s a pretty solid outing.

The D only gave up 277 net yards (116 in the first half).
--Geno had 238yds and 1 TD, but he needed 18 more attempts than Purdy to get there.
--Seattle only went 4 of 13 on 3rd downs, and 2 of those came on one drive in the 2nd half. The D was doing pretty well out there.
--Walker had 12 carries for 47yds, so he kept mostly in check. Seattle didn’t try to run the ball all that much.
--Mobile QBs usually kill us, but Geno only ran once for 18 yds. We’re lucky we didn’t see more of that, but I think that’s b/c the rush did a good job of keeping him off balance.

Got 3 sacks, Bosa, Ebukam, Hufanga. Hufanga’s forced a fumble that Seattle recovered. Bosa had a TFL, 3 QB hits on the night, and had a 2nd sack called back due to a complete BS roughing call.
--That roughing the passer call was complete BS. It wiped out a pick 6 by Demo that would’ve turned the game into a blowout. Everyone from PFT to Mark Schlereth tweeted about what a crappy call it was. Be interesting to see if the league admits it was a bad call like they did the call on Jaelen Phillips from Sunday night.

Thought Ward did a good job on Metcalf most of the night. Metcalf had 7 catches for 55yds, but most of them came in the 2nd half. And for a shocking change, we didn’t blow a coverage and give up a huge TD. While the secondary gave up yardage (about the same to both Metcalf and Lockett), they didn’t give up the big plays.
--Demo led the team in tackles with 9 solo’s including 1 TFL. He has quietly had a nice season.
--Greenlaw had a great forced fumble that led to a score just before halftime to widen the first half lead from 7-3 to 14-3. Greenlaw should be going to the pro bowl.

Niners have now won 6 in a row and are 10-4 with the Commies coming up. The team will be well rested after having 9 days off, but Washington imo is a classic trap game b/c they are a playoff team and we’re coming off a really big win. We could be easy prey for a let down game.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C.Ward played well in the first half, largely shutting down Metcalf, who got most of his catches in the 2nd half. WEll, Apparently, C.Ward was out of the game for most of the 2nd half due to concussion checks. Janoris Jenkins came in and played for the 2nd half even though C.Ward cleared the concussion protocols and was cleared to go back in. Ward didn't play again. It's nice to see the coaches being cautious with such a key player.

Forgot to mention that both Greenlaw and Hufanga dropped INTs. At least it matches the Seattle dropped pick.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was kind of a statement win given the history and what was on the line. Seemed like they were all-in to close out the division, knowing that there is 9 days of rest on the other side. Definitely looked like they dialed back a lot of the deeper passes given Purdy's injury... I was a bit concerned with CMC's usage for a lot of the game, but looking down down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if they start getting Mason (and others) involved over the coming weeks. If there was ever a game to "over-use" CMC, this was it.

I continue to be impressed with Purdy. This was a huge game and he never looked like the moment was too big. Although, there's a part of me that definitely thinks this is too good to be true, it's amazing that he's strung together three impressive showings against playoff-worthy teams. There's zero drop-off from JG so far, and that alone is a huge accomplishment.

The defense is amazing... they're like a bunch of murder-hornets out there. I'm gonna miss DeMeco when he's gone, lol. Fundamentally, the movement towards the ball and tackling lets them play zone coverages that most QBs in the league would feast on. There's nothing crazy we put out there in terms of scheming... it's the player's awareness, athleticism, aggressiveness and physicality that makes it all work. Truly hard to beat and fun to watch.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was kind of a statement win given the history and what was on the line. Seemed like they were all-in to close out the division, knowing that there is 9 days of rest on the other side. Definitely looked like they dialed back a lot of the deeper passes given Purdy's injury... I was a bit concerned with CMC's usage for a lot of the game, but looking down down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if they start getting Mason (and others) involved over the coming weeks. If there was ever a game to "over-use" CMC, this was it.
Good point.

I read somewhere that this was the 2nd most carries CMC has ever had. That is a worry, but you're right--if ever we were gonna ask more from him, this was the game.

I continue to be impressed with Purdy. This was a huge game and he never looked like the moment was too big. Although, there's a part of me that definitely thinks this is too good to be true, it's amazing that he's strung together three impressive showings against playoff-worthy teams. There's zero drop-off from JG so far, and that alone is a huge accomplishment.
That's the most amazing thing about Purdy's run so far. If Jimmy had Purdy's numbers, we'd all be fine with it. He's been every bit as good as we hope Jimmy would be, and he's done it against playoff-level teams! And there is another playoff team coming up in Washington! So, Purdy didn't get to ease his way into the league, yet he looks like he's a multi-year vet out there.

The defense is amazing... they're like a bunch of murder-hornets out there. I'm gonna miss DeMeco when he's gone, lol. Fundamentally, the movement towards the ball and tackling lets them play zone coverages that most QBs in the league would feast on. There's nothing crazy we put out there in terms of scheming... it's the player's awareness, athleticism, aggressiveness and physicality that makes it all work. Truly hard to beat and fun to watch.
Best defense we've had in a long time. Let's hope we can make it count this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was wrong, thought the game would be even closer with a margin of victory of 3 or less. Glad i was wrong because it made for a little more comfortable viewing. :-)

Agree that Purdy has passed yet another test (short week and road game in Seattle) with ease. YET, also agree he gotn away with another INT but with experience these bad passes with lessen. Purdy will eventually throw an INT but with time, shouldn't be this 'obvious'.

I still thought they over used CMC even in this game, add his catches and that's too much usage. I guess Deebo being out also added to this.

Solid win being a West Division game.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
johnnydel's breakdown of the Seattle game. It's worth a look on Youtube.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
johnnydel's breakdown of the Seattle game. It's worth a look on Youtube.

Yep, i like these Youtube breakdowns and Johnny Del is one of them.

After watching a few of these you do notice Purdy doesn't have zip BUT, can get it done if thrown on time. The scheme does get receivers open but you have to "throw them open" too.

Next, you notice the coordination between O-line needs to get consistent. Then add in the coordination of the O-line with blocking TE's and RB's. It makes sense to mix up your pressure against Purdy, so the 49ers need to remove miscommunication on pass protect.