• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers vs Hawks Week 17

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect to Philly, but it's a better matchup than the Vikings, honestly... Philly is pretty beat up like we've been .... On another note, fuck you Pete, I hate caring about you as a coach... $#@%^$@^ing inexcusable delay of game, once again we get cheated seeing Beast at the goal-line... What a perfect ending to the regular season that could a been ....
So you're telling me without the delay of game there, you run the ball with no timeouts and risk not having time to run another play if you get stopped? We already got stuffed earlier on 4th & short. SF probably clogs the middle there, and if they probably pile up on the runner and waste as much of that remaining time as possible. I just don't see how you can run the ball there even from the 1 with 0 TO and under 30 seconds left unless it was 4th down.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say Pete Carroll is the greatest coach in Seattle sports history and I appreciate everything he has given the Northwest.

At the same time its not 2012-2015 anymore. The in game, clock management bullshit has been a weakness for years. And the reality is this team cant out-talent other teams to make up for mental errors anymore. Finally it came back to really bite them at a poor time.

Not scoring and the loss does not bother me near as much as that delay call. Just so incredibly inexcusable. A similar thing happened in the Super Bowl 5 years ago. They had to burn a timeout after Kearses spectacular catch because they couldnt get set up after that play. We dont need to relive what happened next but having two timeouts instead of one could have changed things. Five years later that stuff is still happening. Its a very discouraging thing to have not corrected.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me without the delay of game there, you run the ball with no timeouts and risk not having time to run another play if you get stopped? We already got stuffed earlier on 4th & short. SF probably clogs the middle there, and if they probably pile up on the runner and waste as much of that remaining time as possible. I just don't see how you can run the ball there even from the 1 with 0 TO and under 30 seconds left unless it was 4th down.

Whether they score or not from the 1 is debatable no doubt. Definitely not a given. Its the fact that they were unprepared with a division title on the line that is tough to swallow. This coach and this QB should be better then that. They have been through enough together

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100 percent, if Lynch gets stuffed being at the goal line you can set up quickly and get another play off ... They had like 20 seconds or so, no issue

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things.

1) On the Hollister/Warner play(3rd down I think it was). New York did review it and decided not enough for Pass Interference, Which I think is a load.

2) what were we thinking with the delay of game penalty?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't just run this vanilla defense anymore, we have to make adjustments fooling QB's ... We make them way to conformable back there and always relying on 4 guy's to apply pressure... We don't have the LOB back there anymore, and we shouldn't have linebackers running down field in pass coverage all the time, Kendricks is probably out for the rest of the year now...

What made this defense successful '12-'16 was the fact that we had a dominate DL that could put consistent pressure on the opposing QB by just rushing 4 DL... They would lead the league in QB knockdowns, QB pressure and sacks those years... This is why SF is is so good now... They can put pressure on the QB consistently by just rushing 3 or 4 DL... We can't put pressure on the QB, even if we blitz it seems... This scheme isn't going to work unless we have consistent DL...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We basically never replaced bennett, avril, or clemmons. We need to draft better and hit on a pass rusher in FA. Yannick ngokue from jacksonville might be available and he is only 24

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look sea how didn't deserve to win that game how the hell do the refs in New York not challenge that play for pass interference again against Seattle. What a effing joke

now you know what it feels like getting screwed in the end zone at the end of a game. :whistle:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What made this defense successful '12-'16 was the fact that we had a dominate DL that could put consistent pressure on the opposing QB by just rushing 4 DL... They would lead the league in QB knockdowns, QB pressure and sacks those years... This is why SF is is so good now... They can put pressure on the QB consistently by just rushing 3 or 4 DL... We can't put pressure on the QB, even if we blitz it seems... This scheme isn't going to work unless we have consistent DL...

Yep, I also remember Pete using a quarters defense sometimes only rushing 3 and putting 8 back in coverage on certain 3rd down play's... WE never do that anymore, we've also become so dam predictable, QB's probably smile playing us knowing exactly what were doing pre snap, never blitzing, never adjusting, never making QB's guess.... We've had scrub back-ups throwing well over 400 yards on us this year, it's so frustrating... Look how well that corner blitz worked yesterday, we really need to do more of that under the circumstance, mix it up, make them start guessing a bit in the post season... Sure when you blitz you might get burnt, but it's worth the chance sometimes...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's probably smile playing us knowing exactly what were doing pre snap, never blitzing, never adjusting, never making QB's guess....

You mean, like this?

4633.png

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just how costly was it not kicking the FG at the end of the first half instead of going for it on 4th down... We could've had a chance to just kick a FG at the end of regulation to win it instead of scoring a TD...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100 percent, if Lynch gets stuffed being at the goal line you can set up quickly and get another play off ... They had like 20 seconds or so, no issue
Highly debatable. It was 4th & 10 from the 12 with 0:42 left and 0 time outs. Just running a pass play that got us to the 1 to clock it took 19 seconds. So that made it 2nd down from the 1 with 23 seconds left, and you think we could run the ball there and still have to time to do something else if it didn't work? Probably at best we may be able to clock it again, making it 4th down and meaning we used 2 of the final 4 downs on just stopping the clock. As it happened, the delay of game may not have been ideal but at least we still had 3 shots at winning the game instead of 1 or 2.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just how costly was it not kicking the FG at the end of the first half instead of going for it on 4th down... We could've had a chance to just kick a FG at the end of regulation to win it instead of scoring a TD...
But we gave it to Lynch!!! That's supposed to be a fail safe play when you need a yard.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether they score or not from the 1 is debatable no doubt. Definitely not a given. Its the fact that they were unprepared with a division title on the line that is tough to swallow. This coach and this QB should be better then that. They have been through enough together
Well, you had 0 RBs in on the play that got us down to the 1 to clock it. Then you're trying to quickly substitute and get the right people out there, and your 2 RBs are a) a rookie thrust into a major role just this week and b) a guy who has been out of football for a year and a half. If the expectation is not to have any hiccups at all at any point, then I'm questioning how realistic that is. We still had 3 decent shots to win the game and weren't able to get it done. I am more disappointed about that than the 5 yard penalty, easily.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly debatable. It was 4th & 10 from the 12 with 0:42 left and 0 time outs. Just running a pass play that got us to the 1 to clock it took 19 seconds. So that made it 2nd down from the 1 with 23 seconds left, and you think we could run the ball there and still have to time to do something else if it didn't work? Probably at best we may be able to clock it again, making it 4th down and meaning we used 2 of the final 4 downs on just stopping the clock. As it happened, the delay of game may not have been ideal but at least we still had 3 shots at winning the game instead of 1 or 2.

Remember, 20 seconds isn't a problem when you're that close, even if you get stuffed receivers are close to the line, you can line up and easily get another play off, it's different when receivers run way down field and you have to wait, at the goal-line no receiver is more than 10 yards away... You definitely go beast mode there, just do it, like the NIKE add ...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, 20 seconds isn't a problem when you're that close, even if you get stuffed receivers are close to the line, you can line up and easily get another play off, it's different when receivers run way down field and you have to wait, at the goal-line no receiver is more than 10 yards away... You definitely go beast mode there, just do it, like the NIKE add ...
I've seen way too many games where a team in that situation blows all sorts of time on a running play because the defense lays on the ballcarrier after tackling him, and before you know it there's less than 10 seconds left and you either have to clock it again or run some half-baked play that doesn't work....and then you're already at 4th down. Just my personal opinion in that situation I guess....I think you MUST have a plan to use all 4/remaining downs. If you run the ball on 2nd down with no timeouts and 22 seconds left, I don't think you are executing a plan that can do that. That's the main reason I had no problem at all passing on 2nd & goal in the SB either. Maybe it's just me. Certainly wouldn't be the 1st time I don't see things the way most of the others here do.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they say they DID review it in New York and thought there wasn't enough there to over turn it. That is pure bullshit, the ball was there to be caught and even glances of the defenders head as he holds the TE's hands down ( Both of them )and throws a well placed knee into the groin before the ball arrived lol.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me still feels we had a better shot against philly than we did against minny at home. Then, we rematch the niners in their house...

in other news, sounds like kendricks has an ACL tear, i dont see this as a huge loss. he was a liability and missed tackles constantly.