• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers vs Chargers

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Following the huge win against the Rams, way too easy to think the 49ers will win this game "handily"?! But the way Shannahan operates, it'll be the typical close game going into the 4th quarter. :-)

Just don't turn it over and keep the penalties down, especially the major ones. Limit your own mistakes and we should win but IMO, not "handily".

Just read the Chargers have some injuries of their own. Add that we're coming off a bye week and at home, no excuses.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The charges will be without their top 2 WRs and their PK. That should balance out teh Niners being without 3 of our starting DLinemen and 1 starting CB.

The Niners should win this one. The Niners supposedly have a good running game and the Chargers have a suspect run defense. They've given up 200 rushing yards in 3 of their last 4 games. That should be the key in the game. If the Niners can run the ball and have no turnovers, they should SHOULD, be fine.

This is a game the Niners NEED to win in order to stay in the running for the division. Coming off of a bye and getting back starters at LB, FB, WR, etc. the coaches have no excuse for not having teh players prepared and ready for the game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The charges will be without their top 2 WRs and their PK. That should balance out teh Niners being without 3 of our starting DLinemen and 1 starting CB.

The Niners should win this one. The Niners supposedly have a good running game and the Chargers have a suspect run defense. They've given up 200 rushing yards in 3 of their last 4 games. That should be the key in the game. If the Niners can run the ball and have no turnovers, they should SHOULD, be fine.

This is a game the Niners NEED to win in order to stay in the running for the division. Coming off of a bye and getting back starters at LB, FB, WR, etc. the coaches have no excuse for not having teh players prepared and ready for the game.
Sure enough, a CLOSE game despite ALL the factors in our favor. We don't do well following a bye week which is strange? Just a typical dysfunctional offense despite all the talent. Anyway, yes a good win because all wins are good when starting off 4-4.

Next week an even BIGGER game being a West opponent in Arizona. We need at least a split against Arizona and we might as well get it now.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense did a pretty good job out there. The offense did not. This was a game the Niners should have had rather handily, but instead, they struggled and made it a close game.

Herbert had 35 pass attempts, but less than 200yds. That is good pass defense. With both of the Chargers WRs missing, that should’ve been expected.

The defense was really focused on stopping Ekeler, who had only 24yds rushing and 39 receiving on 13 total touches. The niner D only gave up 51 rushing yards despite missing 3 starting Dlinemen. Not bad at all.

Herbert had only been sacked 10 times all season. Yet Bosa, Omenihu, and Willis each had sack. Bosa was getting chipped and doubled all night. Omenihu added a forced fumble and he hit Herbert when he was throwing to cause the game-clinching INT. The beat up DLine did better than expected.

Hufanga blew his assignment on one play in the first half, giving up a wide open deep TD. But he and the defense rebounded in the 2nd half. After being down 16-10 at halftime, the defense shut the Chargers down. Zero points allowed and only 52 yards of offense. That is the defensive effort we should’ve seen in the first half, but credit to Ryans for making the right halftime adjustments.

Offense, OTOH, was somewhat shaky imo, particularly in the first half. They moved the ball, but couldn’t score.

Jimmy was 19 of 28 for 240yds. No turnovers. Can’t complain.

CMC had 18 touches, 14 carries for 38yds and a TD and 4 catches for 39yds. It looked like the defense was focused on CMC. Mitchell had a nice first game back with 18 carries for 89 yards, an average of just under 5yards per carry.

Aiyuk had 6 catches for 84 yards, but he fumbled away a good looking drive in the first half and dropped a TD catch on another. Jennings showed up for maybe the first time all year, catching all 4 targets for 40 yards and 4 first downs. RayRay even came up with a bigtime 33yd gainer on a busted play.

Deebo had 4 carries for 27yds and he was Targeted 6 times, but he only caught 2 passes and he cleanly dropped 1. We’re paying him to be much better than this.

Why exactly does Kittle only get 1 catch? Why does an All Pro level TE disappear from our offense for weeks at a time?

McGlinchey struggled as usual. In fairness he was up against Mack most of the night, but he gave up his usual sack and a penalty and to pile on, he struggled run blocking too. Like most of the season, he is playing his way off the team. No way should we resign him.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll chock this up as "a win is a win is a win"... wasn't pretty, but good teams find a way to win when adversity hits.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The defense did a pretty good job out there. The offense did not. This was a game the Niners should have had rather handily, but instead, they struggled and made it a close game.

Herbert had 35 pass attempts, but less than 200yds. That is good pass defense. With both of the Chargers WRs missing, that should’ve been expected.

The defense was really focused on stopping Ekeler, who had only 24yds rushing and 39 receiving on 13 total touches. The niner D only gave up 51 rushing yards despite missing 3 starting Dlinemen. Not bad at all.

Herbert had only been sacked 10 times all season. Yet Bosa, Omenihu, and Willis each had sack. Bosa was getting chipped and doubled all night. Omenihu added a forced fumble and he hit Herbert when he was throwing to cause the game-clinching INT. The beat up DLine did better than expected.

Hufanga blew his assignment on one play in the first half, giving up a wide open deep TD. But he and the defense rebounded in the 2nd half. After being down 16-10 at halftime, the defense shut the Chargers down. Zero points allowed and only 52 yards of offense. That is the defensive effort we should’ve seen in the first half, but credit to Ryans for making the right halftime adjustments.

Offense, OTOH, was somewhat shaky imo, particularly in the first half. They moved the ball, but couldn’t score.

Jimmy was 19 of 28 for 240yds. No turnovers. Can’t complain.

CMC had 18 touches, 14 carries for 38yds and a TD and 4 catches for 39yds. It looked like the defense was focused on CMC. Mitchell had a nice first game back with 18 carries for 89 yards, an average of just under 5yards per carry.

Aiyuk had 6 catches for 84 yards, but he fumbled away a good looking drive in the first half and dropped a TD catch on another. Jennings showed up for maybe the first time all year, catching all 4 targets for 40 yards and 4 first downs. RayRay even came up with a bigtime 33yd gainer on a busted play.

Deebo had 4 carries for 27yds and he was Targeted 6 times, but he only caught 2 passes and he cleanly dropped 1. We’re paying him to be much better than this.

Why exactly does Kittle only get 1 catch? Why does an All Pro level TE disappear from our offense for weeks at a time?

McGlinchey struggled as usual. In fairness he was up against Mack most of the night, but he gave up his usual sack and a penalty and to pile on, he struggled run blocking too. Like most of the season, he is playing his way off the team. No way should we resign him.
Ok i have to correct myself a little bit, the offense wasn't THAT bad but had RZ woes. I thought it made sense to lean run near the goal line, but did it all need to go right up the gut?

JG had another good game because of no INT's, and he made good 3rd down throws. He throws high out around 15 yards, but they were catchable. IMO JG is playing near his ceiling if not at his ceiling, can he continue this the rest of the season? This is unlikely as no QB plays his best every single game.

This Deebo situation is one of the reasons i initially didn't like the CMC trade. Is it Kyle's inability to utilize Deebo or is it Deebo not playing as well as last season? Right now i think Deebo is fine but needs short passes to him. Not WR screens but 5 yard routes, he's hard to cover on quick outs.

Wonder if Kittle's absense from the passing game, a little tied to McGlinchey's struggles on pass pro? To me McGlinchey was inconsistent but PFF gave him the 6th best grade on offense. I thought the interior O-line gave JG time for the most part, but the two OG's didn't get a good grade.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll chock this up as "a win is a win is a win"... wasn't pretty, but good teams find a way to win when adversity hits.
haaa, that is the only way we can view it. What was the adversity, seems like all of factors were in our favor?

But yes this most definitely beats a loss which could've occured with one bad play.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haaa, that is the only way we can view it. What was the adversity, seems like all of factors were in our favor?

But yes this most definitely beats a loss which could've occured with one bad play.
Two big plays by Aiyuk, the fumble and the drop in the endzone, were what I was referring to mostly... the timing was really bad. Missing a few pieces on defense as well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two big plays by Aiyuk, the fumble and the drop in the endzone, were what I was referring to mostly... the timing was really bad. Missing a few pieces on defense as well.
Oh ok

To me these are just bad 49er plays of our own doing, I took adversity as "outside forces" such as travel, short week, bad calls/non-calls with penalties, bad weather (ie Bears game), etc.