• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers Make Kwon Alexander Highest-Paid ILB in NFL

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/49ersb_logo.gif

49ersb_logo.gif
49ers sign LB Kwon Alexander (4 years, $54 million; $27 million guaranteed): D- Grade
Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Luke Kuechly, Ryan Shazier, Bobby Wagner... none of these elite linebackers ever earned a contract as large as this one. In fact, no off-line of scrimmage linebacker ever has. Kwon Alexander has officially become the richest non-pass-rushing linebacker in NFL history.

I wish I could show you the face I had when I saw the numbers on this contract. I can't even appropriately describe it. The disbelief I had would be akin to a situation where my dog walks into my office, stands on his two legs, and says to me in English, "I'm having an affair with the cat from four houses over." That's the feeling I had when I saw this deal.

I don't understand why Alexander would warrant this much money. He's a decent player when healthy, though he misses too many tackles for my liking. Even worse, he's been injured so frequently of late. He played just six games last year because of a torn ACL, and he missed a quarter of the 2017 campaign because of balky hamstrings. Paying Alexander this sort of money tells me the 49ers believe he can be both fully available and prolific in 2019, and I'm not sure he can be either.

I considered giving this an "F" grade, but here's a counterpoint: Alexander has talent, and he'll turn only 25 in August. He has plenty of potential and could make great strides in his game. Thus, there's a chance the 49ers won't regret this signing, though I still think there's a good chance they will.

Read more: 2018 NFL Free Agent Grades: WalterFootball.com

Read more at 2018 NFL Free Agent Grades: WalterFootball.com

Time for Summer School. A D- ain't going to fly Johnny boy

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really want the cellar. Garopolo must really be happy on this team.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good young player, but coming off a major injury.

Looks like these agents are taking the non-lawyer GMs to the bank.
Agents are calling teams that actually have cap$

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agents are calling teams that actually have cap$
Everything is about the most important team in the league.
The Eagles.
I know.

I really have reduced you to a puddle.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is about the most important team in the league.
The Eagles.
I know.

I really have reduced you to a puddle.

Don't fret Howie will start getting calls in a week along with all the other bottom feeders.:drool:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really have reduced you to a puddle.[/QUOTE]

I'd own you, but there are already a dozen posters ahead of me who hold your rights.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuechly and Wagner are looking severely underpaid with this BS. If Seattle's FO is smart, they should try and extend Wags asap with a huge pay raise.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then the Jets yelled "HOLD MY BEER!"...

Signs Mosley for 5/$85 mil

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The money isn't a big deal because the 9ers have plenty of cap space and I'd place a large bet on it being structured to where the money is upfront and they can bail on the deal after two years.

The player it was given too is highly questionable though especially one coming off an ACL tear which is a big deal because.....

....The appeal that Kwon has is his speed and the 9ers likely envision him like the Jaguars Telvin Smith where they have a lightweight linebacker that can fly around the field and be good in coverage. So if he's not completely right after his ACL tear he's going to be a complete waste.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's why I basically wait until some of the details come out on the contract...and with Paraag Marathe, I have trust in how he puts these things together.

SF can basically opt out after 1 year/$14.5mil and $3M dead cap, and that's also on condition that he plays every game.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money isn't a big deal because the 9ers have plenty of cap space and I'd place a large bet on it being structured to where the money is upfront and they can bail on the deal after two years.

The player it was given too is highly questionable though especially one coming off an ACL tear which is a big deal because.....

....The appeal that Kwon has is his speed and the 9ers likely envision him like the Jaguars Telvin Smith where they have a lightweight linebacker that can fly around the field and be good in coverage. So if he's not completely right after his ACL tear he's going to be a complete waste.
see thats where flawed franchises fail, "we have alot of room so money dont matter", it does matter, because u spend to fill needs, you spend smart, and build a roster.