• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd Giant suddenly retires

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally Id say no big deal but 2 OL retiring is never a good sign

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Joe Judge is as loved by his players at Matt Patricia was.
yeah they think they are Bill Belichick with the way they act. Brady put up with it for 20 years, so other players did also there. And because he has had success they will tolerate him more, Fat Pat and Joe not so much

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OL retiring is wild because it is their weakest position. Not like the competition is tough. Maybe they saw this and said, screw it I am out?

giphy.gif

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised in the least if both Judge and Gettleman are gone at the end of this season ( or sooner) and the Giants are looking for a QB.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players are smarter today on the whole.
Meaning they now realize that when they sign a contract today, if they are smart, they basically can retire when they want to.
Especially when they sign their 2cd contract. It's a golden parachute and they don't wanna take the pounding anymore.
Can't blame 'em really.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't some Giants players just brawling a couple of days ago?

I'm not saying that's the reason, because brawling happens in every training camp. But it doesn't seem like this is a very good post-COVID start for their coaching staff.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players are smarter today on the whole.
Meaning they now realize that when they sign a contract today, if they are smart, they basically can retire when they want to.
Especially when they sign their 2cd contract. It's a golden parachute and they don't wanna take the pounding anymore.
Can't blame 'em really.

You do realize that when they retire, they forfeit any future salary and often times have to return a prorated portion of their signing bonus right? Just ask Calvin Johnson. There are guys that retire that literally have to cut a huge check to do so. NFL is a cruel employer that way. Of course the trade off is that you get to collect that sweet pension, even if you were nothing more than a special teams player (as long as you play 3 seasons). Of course you have to live to 65 years old to collect and that isn't always a guarantee with the NFL lifestyle.

This is another training camp non-story that people make way too big of a deal of. These guys weren't likely to see the field much at all.

Looney was with the Giants team for all of 4 days. The other 2 were only about 50/50 bets of making the roster.

Same story came out from the Raiders a week ago. A bunch of guys who were likely going to be cut decided to bow out. A lot of these preseason retires are because they know they likely are the odd man out in a roster battle and are there in camp as fodder and nothing more.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that when they retire, they forfeit any future salary and often times have to return a prorated portion of their signing bonus right? Just ask Calvin Johnson. There are guys that retire that literally have to cut a huge check to do so. NFL is a cruel employer that way. Of course the trade off is that you get to collect that sweet pension, even if you were nothing more than a special teams player (as long as you play 3 seasons). Of course you have to live to 65 years old to collect and that isn't always a guarantee with the NFL lifestyle.

This is another training camp non-story that people make way too big of a deal of. These guys weren't likely to see the field much at all.

Looney was with the Giants team for all of 4 days. The other 2 were only about 50/50 bets of making the roster.

Same story came out from the Raiders a week ago. A bunch of guys who were likely going to be cut decided to bow out. A lot of these preseason retires are because they know they likely are the odd man out in a roster battle and are there in camp as fodder and nothing more.
Even if it is pro-rated , it is still a huge chunk of money that enables them to live comfortably.
Especially, like I said earlier, if they retire during their 2cd contract.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it is pro-rated , it is still a huge chunk of money that enables them to live comfortably.
Especially, like I said earlier, if they retire during their 2cd contract.
If they are so comfortable, why even sign that 2021 contract?

Also you do know there are a lot of Pro Sports players who are broke very soon after retiring.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are so comfortable, why even sign that 2021 contract?

Also you do know there are a lot of Pro Sports players who are broke very soon after retiring.
Uhhh......for the swag?.....
and there are also more rich ones, than broke ones.
It's just that we always hear about the hard luck, dumb ass's that blow their coin.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhh......for the swag?.....
and there are also more rich ones, than broke ones.
It's just that we always hear about the hard luck, dumb ass's that blow their coin.
Yes there's more rich ones, than poor ones, but facts are just because a player signed two contracts doesn't mean they are set for life.

Yes you and I can sit here and say IF I were an NFL player who made 5M, I'd ve set for life, problem is and this goes for the greater majority of us, we spend what we make without regard that the rainbow will end.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't some Giants players just brawling a couple of days ago?

I'm not saying that's the reason, because brawling happens in every training camp. But it doesn't seem like this is a very good post-COVID start for their coaching staff.
Yep. Not a good camp at all by the sounds of it. Sort of mirroring the stuff that Kelvin Benjamin said after he got released, but Judge doesn’t sound like he’s handling things very well over there.