• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd Down A Concern?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through two games, the Patriots are 8-for-26 (31 percent), which comes following 2017 when they were eighth in the league, converting 42 percent of their third-down opportunities.

Third-and-short has been a major issue. On 3rd-and-5 or less this season, the Patriots have picked up first downs on just 4-of-11 plays. This is not a very good percentage and part of it has to do with the team not having a true short-yardage running back without Jeremy Hill, who was lost during Week 1’s win over the Texans.

But, the biggest issue is there’s been no one to count on other than Rob Gronkowski.

When Gronkowski gets ball or is targeted on third down this year, the Patriots are 3-for-4 in picking up first downs (all vs. Houston), and when the rest of the team gets ball or are targeted, the Patriots are 5-for-22.

Other players just aren’t stepping up. Chris Hogan is 1-for-4 in getting first downs on his third-down chances, Cordarrelle Patterson is 0-for-3, and most concerning of all is James White, who is 1-for-7. White was among the best in the league last year in picking up first downs on third down, but that just hasn’t been the case so far this year.

Another factor is the team hasn’t had great success on first and second down to put the offense in favorable spots on third down. Of the 26 third-down plays this season, 16 of them have been 3rd-and-5 or more.

Brady also hasn’t been his best, either. On third down this year, he is 8-for-16 passing for 84 yards, and his 79.2 quarterback rating is 10th in the AFC, only ahead of Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Tannehill, Case Keenum, Blaine Gabbert and Josh Allen.

All of these things need to change for the Patriots to start converting more third downs and they all serve as a reminder that it’s going to take more than just getting Edelman back in two weeks.

Second Look: Patriots’ issues on third down this year go beyond not having Julian Edelman

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought that actually was a pretty good article

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe attending voluntary workouts could have paid off for Tom??

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe attending voluntary workouts could have paid off for Tom??

Looks like it. Though reports (and you have to be skeptical at best about them) stated Brady would "divorce Bill if he could"

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think the bigger issue with third down is on the defensive side of the ball. Last week(like last year) it could be third and whatever and the opposing team was moving the chains.

I believe the offense will get rolling at some point, especially if Gordon actually contributes.

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's week 2, same as last year 1-1 and at this point last year with 3rd downs they were 11-27. So 3 more conversions then now. Offense most likely will figure it out. Defense we'll see after what they made Bortles look all world again.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as it stands now, our offense, our defense our WR depth, our RB depth, our new D Coordinator are all concerns?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest. This team misses Danny Amendola. Not one of these guys has been able to get any separation at all. Part of it is that this offense is dependent on being able disguise the plays through motion and changing sets at the line before the count. There is very little motion because no one is the relief valve that Brady has always had, including White. White has always depended on Edelman or Amendola to clear away the the inside and take advantage of open spaces. Those open spots allowed him to get anywhere form 4-24 yards after a catch.

Gordon's size and speed will take the double and triple team away from Gronk or it's going to allow Gordon, Hogan or Dorrsett to just run free. The Jags beat the shit out of Gronk. He had a CB and a safety on him at least 75% of the time and they added a LB (Mack/Davis) at the line of scrimmage at least 6 times that I saw. Nobody, including the Jags will be able to do that if Gordon can make one or two catches and JE comes back at least at 85%.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest. This team misses Danny Amendola. Not one of these guys has been able to get any separation at all. Part of it is that this offense is dependent on being able disguise the plays through motion and changing sets at the line before the count. There is very little motion because no one is the relief valve that Brady has always had, including White. White has always depended on Edelman or Amendola to clear away the the inside and take advantage of open spaces. Those open spots allowed him to get anywhere form 4-24 yards after a catch.

Gordon's size and speed will take the double and triple team away from Gronk or it's going to allow Gordon, Hogan or Dorrsett to just run free. The Jags beat the shit out of Gronk. He had a CB and a safety on him at least 75% of the time and they added a LB (Mack/Davis) at the line of scrimmage at least 6 times that I saw. Nobody, including the Jags will be able to do that if Gordon can make one or two catches and JE comes back at least at 85%.
Let's be honest they faced two tough Ds in weeks one and two. And Bitch Boy Brady decided he didn't need mini camp so the timing is off, then druggie Edelmen decided he too wanted to say fuck you I want do things my way too.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest. This team misses Danny Amendola.

Lets be honest...the team misses a healthy Danny A.
How many complete seasons has Danny played?

He got the really good money that he earned...but will he be available for 16 games?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets be honest...the team misses a healthy Danny A.
How many complete seasons has Danny played?

He got the really good money that he earned...but will he be available for 16 games?

I am still in shocked he's gone...

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest they faced two tough Ds in weeks one and two. And Bitch Boy Brady decided he didn't need mini camp so the timing is off, then druggie Edelmen decided he too wanted to say fuck you I want do things my way too.
Why don't you actually be honest then. Characterizing Brady as "Bitch Boy" and Edelman as "druggie" isn't being honest.

Yeah Brady bitched this year after giving the team some really sweet deals since forever. That does not make him a "bitch boy", ..... Nobody knows what Edelman was flagged for so if it were "drugs", an only occurrence would hardly qualify him as a druggie.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you actually be honest then. Characterizing Brady as "Bitch Boy" and Edelman as "druggie" isn't being honest.

Yeah Brady bitched this year after giving the team some really sweet deals since forever. That does not make him a "bitch boy", ..... Nobody knows what Edelman was flagged for so if it were "drugs", an only occurrence would hardly qualify him as a druggie.

Well you just said he bitched so hell, WTF is hard to understand about that. And we needn't know what the drug was we know he was suspended for one all that really matters.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with Edelman doing a little something to get back on the field. Hell, now he gets an additional 4 weeks to get healthy. The offense should be cruising by mid-season.

It's the defense that I personally find concerning.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with Edelman doing a little something to get back on the field. Hell, now he gets an additional 4 weeks to get healthy. The offense should be cruising by mid-season.

It's the defense that I personally find concerning.

I agree Jules did what he did and I am sure he knew there were risks with it. All athletes at this level are going to do what ever they can to stay on top of their game, to gain an edge, I get it and I am cool with it.

Just won't deny it. It is what it is.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im glad that everybody had a great off-season. Hope they enjoyed it. Nobody is looking good. SB hangover is live and well. We're struggling in every part of the game. We are average. This is not how we will finish the season. How soon we "snap out of it" will determine the season. Until then, let's enjoy the Lions and move forward.....

NorEEzta

Behold: A Pale Horse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im glad that everybody had a great off-season. Hope they enjoyed it. Nobody is looking good. SB hangover is live and well. We're struggling in every part of the game. We are average. This is not how we will finish the season. How soon we "snap out of it" will determine the season. Until then, let's enjoy the Lions and move forward.....

They'll need to revisit the mantra that began the dynasty in '01. They came out the locker room in the SB against the Rams as a "team". They're are fractured over the SB, Gronk's indecisiveness to stay; Brady's apparent disapproval of BB; the mystery surrounding the benching of Butler; key players lost and failed to replace e.g. the WR's. Matt Slater was the 4th listed receiver when they cut the team to 53. They sign Coleman and release him shortly after for Gordon.

They still have Patricia's defense. It's the same bend but don't break 5-2 soft middle zone can't get off the field on 3rd down defense. Better hope Patricia can't gameplan on HIS old defense.