• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#32 ranked defense

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that Hue is coming on as a special assistant and will work with the defense.

If it doesn't improve, I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin fired in a few weeks so Hue can have the gig full-time.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is t he talent on this defense capable of being much better, or have they finally fell apart after two big contracts?

Or, is it all on Austin and his very poor game planning and adjustments? We have created more turnovers, but at what price?

I believe if the offensive line can get Price back, they get Westerman in over Redmond or Hart and they can stay healthy from here on out, our offense is playoff caliber. Only question is, can the defense get its head on straight and play AFC North style football?

Right now, we are not a good team, but I think if the defense can start rounding into form, we can be a pretty good team, one worthy of a playoff birth.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is t he talent on this defense capable of being much better, or have they finally fell apart after two big contracts?

Or, is it all on Austin and his very poor game planning and adjustments? We have created more turnovers, but at what price?

I believe if the offensive line can get Price back, they get Westerman in over Redmond or Hart and they can stay healthy from here on out, our offense is playoff caliber. Only question is, can the defense get its head on straight and play AFC North style football?

Right now, we are not a good team, but I think if the defense can start rounding into form, we can be a pretty good team, one worthy of a playoff birth.

I think it is mostly on coaching, and depth has been an issue with injuries as well.

You have a really good cover CB in Jackson III, Bates has been one of the best cover Safeties in the NFL...the DL is one of the better ones around, yet the defense is getting shredded. That, to me, points to scheme.

You have a defense that has played a ton of loose zone in an effort to create turnovers in the passing game, but it goes against what the DL is good at, asking bad coverage LB's to do what they are bad at, and takes away the strength of this team.

I thought, for the most part, the 1st half of the TB game seemed more oriented to the strengths of the defense. CB's followed guys around, DL was able to then apply pressure. I didn't see the game, but just from what I read/heard (so correct me if I am wrong). I have no clue how that all changed in the second half...though again, depth was tested and injuries are really hurting.

I'll say one thing with regards to depth...Phillips seems like a player. He needs to be out there more in coverage situations.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is mostly on coaching, and depth has been an issue with injuries as well.

You have a really good cover CB in Jackson III, Bates has been one of the best cover Safeties in the NFL...the DL is one of the better ones around, yet the defense is getting shredded. That, to me, points to scheme.

You have a defense that has played a ton of loose zone in an effort to create turnovers in the passing game, but it goes against what the DL is good at, asking bad coverage LB's to do what they are bad at, and takes away the strength of this team.

I thought, for the most part, the 1st half of the TB game seemed more oriented to the strengths of the defense. CB's followed guys around, DL was able to then apply pressure. I didn't see the game, but just from what I read/heard (so correct me if I am wrong). I have no clue how that all changed in the second half...though again, depth was tested and injuries are really hurting.

I'll say one thing with regards to depth...Phillips seems like a player. He needs to be out there more in coverage situations.

I am in the camp Kirkpatrick needs to go. 55 million reason to cut his ass, and I am not even talking about his salary. Jackson, Dennard, Phillips, Bates, Williams...let Jackson play man against the best WR the other team has to offer entire game, let the others play their zones, tighter coverage.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think better coaches would get something more out of this unit. They have the necessary pieces to work with. To me, it seems that the linebackers are really bad.... I'm not sure how well this comes out in the grades but they continue to struggle in the passing game. And as much as I didn't really care for Iloka, it's hard for me to believe he couldn't have played a role on this team. Again, I'm not sure how Sean Williams grades, but he always seems a day late and a dollar short out there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think better coaches would get something more out of this unit. They have the necessary pieces to work with. To me, it seems that the linebackers are really bad.... I'm not sure how well this comes out in the grades but they continue to struggle in the passing game. And as much as I didn't really care for Iloka, it's hard for me to believe he couldn't have played a role on this team. Again, I'm not sure how Sean Williams grades, but he always seems a day late and a dollar short out there.
Iloka was replaced by Bates, so not the same position, and you have to remember, Marv has never been a fan of having "interchangeable" safeties. One is a FS, the other is a SS...but I do agree to your premise, that he could have had some value here. Though, they did use the money saved on him wisely with Dunlap and Atkins...hard to complain about that.

I agree with the LB...it's to the point where they may be best served simply sending them on more run blitzes just to get them out of coverage...Not sure. Surely Iloka could have been used in a role like a nickel TE cover?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iloka was replaced by Bates, so not the same position, and you have to remember, Marv has never been a fan of having "interchangeable" safeties. One is a FS, the other is a SS...but I do agree to your premise, that he could have had some value here. Though, they did use the money saved on him wisely with Dunlap and Atkins...hard to complain about that.

I agree with the LB...it's to the point where they may be best served simply sending them on more run blitzes just to get them out of coverage...Not sure. Surely Iloka could have been used in a role like a nickel TE cover?

I thought Marvin was a huge fan of interchangeable safeties? I thought he was the one that said kept saying, he is a DB, he is a safety, etc. I don't ever remember Marv calling guys a strong safety or free safety.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Marvin was a huge fan of interchangeable safeties? I thought he was the one that said kept saying, he is a DB, he is a safety, etc. I don't ever remember Marv calling guys a strong safety or free safety.
You could be 100% right. Not sure I really know.

Guess what, neither does Marvin...lol

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bengals are 29th in points allowed though ..... :noidea:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you have this wrong..... Marvin always corrects the press when they ask about guys being SS or FS. As Crash said, Marvin doesn't know what the difference between the two is. I do think Iloka was more of a free safety type, but he did play at the same time as Reggie Nelson who is also more of a FS.... So I think they are interchangable in Marvin's D.

Now, you could make the argument that Iloka isn't any good. And I think that was the opinion of the Bengals staff given how actively they looked to address the position in the offseason and given that Zimmer isn't using him at all in Minny.