• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3 special father-son bonds to know about right now in college basketball

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course UCF is featured in this heartwarming article on the front page of the NCAA website. #RiseToDominance

3 special father-son bonds to know about right now in college basketball | NCAA.com

This is about what family can mean, amid the clamor of college basketball. This is about three fathers, three sons — and one special bond of a game.

UCF has just won at Connecticut for the first time ever, and coach Johnny Dawkins tweeted out a picture of him walking with the player who had led the way with 23 points. Two guys, savoring a victory together. Dawkins added words at the bottom of the tweet:

“Loving this part of the journey with my son by my side.”

It wasn’t always so. Dawkins had been a star on Mike Krzyzewski’s first Final Four team at Duke — setting the Blue Devils' all-time scoring record — then played in the NBA, and then got busy building a good coaching career, as an assistant at Duke, and in charge at Stanford. A man doing all that has a tight schedule, which is why Aubrey Dawkins played a lot of games as a kid with only his mother in stands.

But Johnny gets to see all of Aubrey’s games now as his coach, and it is hard to decide to whom that means more. Father, or son.

Johnny: “I worked him out all the time, trained him every day. I just couldn’t go to a lot of his games because I was coaching. Having coached him now and seeing how he prepares, his work ethic, watching some of the things he does on the floor . . . I do see some of me in him. I’ll never tell him that.”

Aubrey: “For all those high school games and middle school games and elementary school games that he missed, now he can see me play at such a high level. It means everything.”

Coach and player. Father and son. Each is a dynamic duo evoking strong emotion, so imagine if you put them together. It is a common sight — especially in high school, less so in college — but the rewards can be uncommon. And the challenges.

The fathers understand that, and the sons, too. They are connected by the past, and the road from then to now has not always been smooth.

#UCFacts