• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Season

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two games in, and already two of my questions regarding the team got their early answers:

GOALTENDING: Grubauer is still the top goalie, and is still prone to the puck getting past him more often than it should, but I'm starting to realize that he's more the King Felix of the team. Even if he has a good game, he still needs goal support, and when you can only muster ONE GOAL in those first two games, that's concerning.

POWER PLAY: No puck control, no chances taken. It is possible to lose count of PP chances and say "0-for-whatever" at this point. They need to learn to take chances when the opportunity is given. Don't get too cute, don't just mess around passing...JUST SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK!

All that's left to question is the event of a shootout. We didn't get a shootout win all last season, regardless of how we did in the postseason, though right now, it's a moot point because we haven't scored enough to actually force overtime yet.

It may be only two games in, 80 more to go (oh god...), but I do know this: Hakstol, you need a new plan, PRONTO, because whatever you're doing to start things? It ain't working.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four games in, including last night's home opener against Colorado...and already a disappointment.

No guts when it comes to power plays, and we definitely had our chances, mustering, what only one goal? And giving up a shorthanded last night didn't help, either.

The goaltender status was definitely the comparison I made. Grubauer isn't exactly ideal in the net, but it doesn't make much of a difference when your team can't back you up with goals. Yep, it's King Felix in hockey mode.

One overtime/shootout game while in St. Louis. Came up empty like every shootout game we had last season.

Add the grand total of THREE GOALS in the four games (0.75 GPG), and it spells trouble. Sure, there's a lot of season left, 78 more games, but I sense firings in the future. Not right away, but some time this season.

Maybe if Hakstol sounded off like Paul Maurice did on his Panthers last year...but he's gotta summon up the brass to do it first.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a frustrating start, but it doesn't feel like they are way off. They laid an egg in the game against the Predators, but otherwise I thought hung in there with Vegas and played well enough to get the W against the Blues and Avs. Feels like they are missing on their shots. Hitting a lot of posts and flat out just missing the net. They rely heavily on their sniping abilities and thus far have just missed their shots. Need a good offensive game to get the confidence up and hopefully turn things around.

A few encouraging things have been goaltending and the PK. I think Gru is poised to do better than last season and I think Daccord wants to be a starter in the NHL. I like the combo. I was excited to see Yamamoto get signed and so far he has been a great addition.

Beniers has been very quiet and Burakovsky has looked rusty.

I'm discouraged, but not panicking yet. They have a tough stretch of games coming up so need to find a way to get some points out of it. The Western Conference is tough to make the playoffs and can't afford to get too far behind the 8-ball.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-zetterlund-zadina-ferraro-locker-room/Definitely a frustrating start, but it doesn't feel like they are way off. They laid an egg in the game against the Predators, but otherwise I thought hung in there with Vegas and played well enough to get the W against the Blues and Avs. Feels like they are missing on their shots. Hitting a lot of posts and flat out just missing the net. They rely heavily on their sniping abilities and thus far have just missed their shots. Need a good offensive game to get the confidence up and hopefully turn things around.

A few encouraging things have been goaltending and the PK. I think Gru is poised to do better than last season and I think Daccord wants to be a starter in the NHL. I like the combo. I was excited to see Yamamoto get signed and so far he has been a great addition.

Beniers has been very quiet and Burakovsky has looked rusty.

I'm discouraged, but not panicking yet. They have a tough stretch of games coming up so need to find a way to get some points out of it. The Western Conference is tough to make the playoffs and can't afford to get too far behind the 8-ball.
I DID see an article today where another team may be under pressure to perform already. Sharks were called out by their own coach over "lazy" play and how much of a "mess" they've been.
If that coach can call out his players and challenge them to step up and play more to their expectations, maybe Hakstol can try it again, just like he did last season.

Not that I expect Paul Maurice levels of cussing 'em out, but whatever it takes to light that fire under them.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 5 came and went, and HOLY JEEZ, what a turnaround! The second we got goal #2 for the night, you knew this was a different team than what started the season!

A 7-4 win over Carolina that had it all: Even-strength goals, a couple of rare power play goals, even a shorty! Cap it all off with Tye Kartye being an assist shy of a Gordie Howe Hat Trick (goal, assist, fight), and you could swear something was said before this one started.

And we have a rematch against the Hurricanes on the road next Thursday. Brandon Lemieux was the assailant that Kartye was fighting late in this one, stepping up for a hit on McCann, so all eyes on him when the time comes!

Nice to see more offense from these guys finally, not just the "quota of one goal."

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, Game 6 (at NY Rangers) saw us back at our "one goal quota" thing, and an injury to Burakovsky, adding him to the IL with Tanev.

But thankfully, the game in Detroit last night didn't see us with just one goal. Leads blown by both teams, all ending in late OT theatrics by our guys!

Talk about your thrill rides!

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Six-game losing streak, looking to make it seven while hosting Tampa...

And for this, they extended Hakstol?

smh

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at the risk of jinxing things, we're almost halfway through January, the New Year nearly a couple of weeks old...and we've turned things around again!

With last night's win in DC, they've tied their franchise record of EIGHT WINS IN A ROW, what we saw last season at the start of THAT New Year!
They go to Columbus tomorrow...just don't take their divisional basement status for granted.

Daccord has taken over nicely with Grubauer on injury. His Winter Classic shutout win over Vegas helped a lot!