• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Preseason Thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^^ This is a well written article and reading what Deion had to say to Houston regarding playing ILB is worthy in itself.

Houston would finish the season with 16.5 sacks (second-most in FBS and FCS combined), 24.5 tackles for loss (third-most in FBS and FCS combined), seven forced fumbles (led both FBS and FCS), as well as an overall defensive grade of 95.8 and pass-rushing grade of 95.4 from PFF (which both led both FBS and FCS)—beating out his new teammate, and second overall pick, Aidan Hutchinson, who finished second in both PFF categories.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“Malcolm Rodriguez is one of the smarter young players I’ve ever been around,” Sheppard told Detroit Lions beat reporter Tim Twentyman on the Twentyman in the Huddle podcast. “That kid, it’s because he’s a naturally smart player, but on top of that, it’s the work he puts in. This kid came in here in two days and he knew both (linebacker) spots.”

Rodriguez has some shortcomings that may cause him to begin further down on the depth chart. His size (5-foot-11, 232 pounds) puts him on the lower end of Lions linebackers on the roster, which is saying something considering the team has clearly favored speed over size.

However, Sheppard noted that if Rodriguez continues to show this kind of intelligence and devotion, he’ll get his shot.

“I looked him right in the eye and said, ‘You’re going to get an opportunity, dude,’” Sheppard said. “I said, ‘When you come in and show me things like that, you’re going to get every opportunity imaginable.”
I think the size complaint is the most overblown thing I have seen. LB's around 6 feet and 235ish pounds have a long history of success.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that number is unreasonable. The 4th best guy on the line was a Pro Bowl alternate. Lions have many weaknesses, but the healthy oline is truly elite.

It's not unreasonable, but it's also unlikely to go from 11th overall this past season up to top 3. Goff is also an intricate piece of how well the Ol performs.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the size complaint is the most overblown thing I have seen. LB's around 6 feet and 235ish pounds have a long history of success.

I agree with you on the size complaint and not just for LB position either. I see those statements written all the time with just about every position. Sometimes it comes into question, but honestly, it's a lazy way for writers and analysts to have a loophole in their summary of a player's traits.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lions were runaway leaders in allowing broken tackles last season, according to NFL Inside Edge’s data mining. Detroit allowed 75 broken tackles, six more than the next-worst tackling team, the Atlanta Falcons.

Broken-Tackles-Overall-this-season.png

The data from Pro Football Focus reinforces the tackling issue. Detroit scored a 32.7 grade from PFF in the tackling department, ranking 32nd out of 32. PFF charted 172 missed tackles, which encompasses broken tackles as well as missed tackling opportunities.

It wasn’t one particular player or position group that bore full responsibility. While linebacker Alex Anzalone posted a team-high 21 misses per PFF (15 of those came in the first eight games), he actually had a better tackling percentage than EDGEs Romeo Okwara and Austin Bryant. Rookie CB AJ Parker, NT John Penisini, CB Amani Oruwariye and LBs Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Jamie Collins all posted missed tackle rates that are far too high.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The other thing that is changing with this defense is their mentality. Last year, Detroit’s defensive front was more read-and-react or “two-gapping,” meaning the emphasis was on reacting to the offensive line’s movement, then holding position and making sure to not lose responsibility of their gap assignments. Now, the Lions are focused on attacking first, reacting after in order to put more pressure on the offense and dictate the play. While that is more focused on the defensive line, Sheppard explained how it’ll impact the next level of the defense.

“As a linebacker, it’s everything you ever wanted,” Sheppard said. “To a react defense, you have to marry everything that’s happening up front. So they can’t be playing react and we’re just shooting—no. When they play react, it’s a lot of principles that those 3-4 systems have, where you see bigger inside linebackers, because they’re two-gappish type of players. Attack-react is normally involved with 4-3 systems (and is) more attacking. To be honest, that comes top-down from (defensive coordinator) Aaron Glenn. He is a dictator, in my opinion.

“Defense, I know we’re a reactionary component in football, but we’re flipping the table. We’re trying to dictate to people—and we’re going to do what we do. We’re going to do what we do, and then we’ll react on the move. But we’re lining up and we’re going after you. We’re going to do what we do, and then depending on what you give us, we’ll react accordingly.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, Cominsky has a very good athletic profile as a pass rusher, including above-average arm length (33.5”) and an impressive 4.69 40-yard dash.

Cominsky was drafted by previous Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff in the fourth round of the 2019 draft. While playing for former head coach Dan Quinn — who ran more of an attacking 4-3 scheme — Cominsky developed into a solid rotational defensive end who could also slide inside on pass-rushing downs. In 2020, Cominsky played 44 percent of the team’s defensive snaps and racked up 21 pressures, however, the Falcons would fire both Quinn and Dimitroff after an 0-5 start that year. Atlanta hired Dean Pees as DC in 2021, but Comsinky just wasn’t a great fit in that 3-4 base defense.
The former Charleston standout played in just four games last season.

While his release wasn’t a total surprise, I completely understand why the Lions claimed him. Cominsky’s got a good motor and fits Detroit’s scrappy mentality. And more importantly, he’s a much better fit in Aaron Glenn’s defense where he can provide quality reps at both DE and DT.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stenberg
J. Okwara
B. Wright
G. Igwebuike
Q. Cephus

My guess is that J. Okwara gets traded and quite possibly prior to season opener. James Houston offers as much as J. Okwara so long as the former can prove it during pre-season play.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let’s look at the Lions’ 2022 UDFA class and the guaranteed money that was given to them in their contracts (via OverTheCap.com):

Screen_Shot_2022_05_31_at_10.10.13_PM.png

Looking purely at the contracts, it’s fair to say that Obinna Eze, Kevin Jarvis, and Greg Bell are the most highly regarded UDFAs by the Lions in this cycle, but it’s important to keep in mind, that beyond the cash, nothing will be guaranteed to any of these players.

For example, in 2021, the Lions signed 13 undrafted rookies but only four of those remain on the current roster, and none of them were in the top-four of last year's highest amounts of guaranteed money given.

Screen_Shot_2022_05_31_at_10.36.20_PM.png

While AJ Parker and Jerry Jacobs beat the odds by making the 53-man roster out of training camp, it’s worth noting that another five UDFAs still made the team via the practice squad. It’s no surprise that those five players were all among the UDFAs given larger amounts of guaranteed money from the Lions, indicating the coaches saw some potential. But in the end, on-field performance is the only thing that matters and that’s why only Brock Wright and Tommy Kraemer earned elevations to the active roster.

So, if we apply what we learned from last year’s UDFA class, Eze, Jarvis, Bell, Jermaine Waller, and Corey Sutton all appear to be strong favorites to at least land on the Lions’ practice squad this fall, but you can’t sleep on the Kalil Pimpleton, Demetris Taylor, and the others in the bottom half of the guaranteed money chart.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Goff's play in OTA's continues when the real games begin.

Stock up​

Jared Goff​

Thursday was one of the most confident sessions I’ve seen from Goff on the practice field. During individual drills, he was throwing 40-yard bombs with perfect spirals and hitting each receiver in stride as the crowd of season ticket holders ooh’d and ahh’d. In full 11-on-11s, Goff had the confidence to laser a few passes into tight windows.

There were a couple of occasions of him holding onto the ball too long, but far fewer than we’ve been accustomed to seeing. He’s so much farther along than he was at this point last year.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penisini and Waller both retire. Wow. Both in their early 20s.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is rough for the Lions, only Alim is left weighing over 300 pounds. That is a very light line. Penisini was never going to be a star, but he played a critical role of spelling McNeill.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn, this is somewhat surprising that Penisini is throwing in the towel.

I wonder if this becomes more prevalent down the road with 1st contract players?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is rough for the Lions, only Alim is left weighing over 300 pounds. That is a very light line. Penisini was never going to be a star, but he played a critical role of spelling McNeill.

Weighing over 300 pounds doesn't always equate to having more strength, durability. This kind of reminds of our discussion regarding the physical stature of Malcolm Rodriguez and other players who are perceived to have limitations.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An aggressive, attacking front line.

They liked so much of what McNeill can do as a quick, strong defender that they spent this offseason transforming this defense, in part, due to McNeill’s skillset. Instead of having McNeill take and absorb blocks, hoping to hold the line of scrimmage with his strength, clogging up blocks, they have changed their philosophy up front to allow McNeill to use those quick feet—or twinkle toes—to attack.

“We are much more, ‘Hit the blocks and play on their side of the line of scrimmage,’ which is a little bit different than what we were last year,” Campbell explained last month. “I do think this will serve our front well. I think this will help Alim. I think it will help Levi (Onwuzurike). It will help really all those guy's up front.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mebert should be happy to read that his guy from the 2020 draft has had a great minicamp so far. I would like nothing more than to see a late round draft pick ascending in his play after an injury in his rookie camp wiped that season out.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Under new management in 2021, Oruwariye realized his NFL potential with 41 catches allowed on 69 targets for 582 yards, 154 yards after the catch, two touchdowns, six interceptions, and an opponent passer rating of 60.2. Only Rasul Douglas, A.J. Terrell, and J.C. Jackson allowed lower passer ratings, and only Jackson and Trevon Diggs had more interceptions.