• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Mavs = 2007 Cavs

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that their success largely hinges on one man.

If and when Dallas underachieves in the playoffs down the road (I fully expect them to win their first playoff series this year since winning it all in 2011), the whole "Luka needs help" argument is going to grow old fast. I hope most fans won't have that same built-in excuse they had with LeBron for so many years.

Bottom line is that when a player has been in the league for a certain amount of years, it should be the player's own fault that he doesn't have any help.

Luka's ball-dominant style simply isn't conducive for other stars to develop alongside him (see Porzingis). The fact that Dallas absorbed arguably the worst contract in basketball in Davis Bertans just to dump Porzingis should tell you something.

The Mavs didn't have to take on the Bertans contract just to appease Luka, but the did so anyway...

Luka may or may not leave Dallas once hos contract is up, but if he does, it will be just much fault of his own as it would be of the Mavs' organization.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that their success largely hinges on one man.

If and when Dallas underachieves in the playoffs down the road (I fully expect them to win their first playoff series this year since winning it all in 2011), the whole "Luka needs help" argument is going to grow old fast. I hope most fans won't have that same built-in excuse they had with LeBron for so many years.

Bottom line is that when a player has been in the league for a certain amount of years, it should be the player's own fault that he doesn't have any help.

Luka's ball-dominant style simply isn't conducive for other stars to develop alongside him (see Porzingis). The fact that Dallas absorbed arguably the worst contract in basketball in Davis Bertans just to dump Porzingis should tell you something.

The Mavs didn't have to take on the Bertans contract just to appease Luka, but the did so anyway...

Luka may or may not leave Dallas once hos contract is up, but if he does, it will be just much fault of his own as it would be of the Mavs' organization.
a lot of team's success has hinged on largely one man.....only way this is comparable is if Luka drags this team to the Finals.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually a pretty good comparison more so bc that team played amazing team defense. The Mavs are very good defense team and rely heavily on one star. I would be very surprised if they get to the Finals though. I don't agree that you basically said he can't play with other stars. First off, Zinger was far from a star, he was an injury-prone talented big that had limitations. I think he does fits well with other borderline AS players or good role players but he could definitely play with another star. Dinwiddie and Brunson both are playmakers that handle the ball quite a bit to create their own shot and that's how a lot of stars play. He does need more help to get the Mavs to the next step but I am not sure that can happen with their current contract situation. That being said, they are a dangerous team, I just don't see them beating PHX.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually a pretty good comparison more so bc that team played amazing team defense. The Mavs are very good defense team and rely heavily on one star. I would be very surprised if they get to the Finals though. I don't agree that you basically said he can't play with other stars. First off, Zinger was far from a star, he was an injury-prone talented big that had limitations. I think he does fits well with other borderline AS players or good role players but he could definitely play with another star. Dinwiddie and Brunson both are playmakers that handle the ball quite a bit to create their own shot and that's how a lot of stars play. He does need more help to get the Mavs to the next step but I am not sure that can happen with their current contract situation. That being said, they are a dangerous team, I just don't see them beating PHX.

Yeah, I think the organizational parallels are there for sure.

The biggest difference:

As great as Luka is, he isn’t LeBron.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
…That being said, they are a dangerous team, I just don't see them beating PHX.
Kinda where I see it as a Mavs fan… because in the end the Mavs front court just doesn’t match up well enough with a team like the Suns. Kleber, Powell & no depth will get exposed against Ayton, Crowder & McGee. And - there’s where Nico Harrison will have an opportunity to make a move to fix a known weakness. And he has flexibility he didn’t have with KP’s contract - which the OP isn’t paying attention to. THAT was the main thrust of the deal - not appeasing Luka with Bertans.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think the organizational parallels are there for sure.

The biggest difference:

As great as Luka is, he isn’t LeBron.
I'd add someone who does not get enough credit for that team is Mike Brown. He had some guys not exactly known for their defense playing incredibly defense (Gooden, Z, Pavlovic, Damon Jones, etc)

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying Luka will ever be as good, but if you were to put he and the rest of this current Mavs team in the 2007 Eastern Conference, they’d be going to the finals too.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying Luka will ever be as good, but if you were to put he and the rest of this current Mavs team in the 2007 Eastern Conference, they’d be going to the finals too.
Maybe but not so sure....Detroit was a tough team and that Lebron fellow was pretty good.