• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Lions prospects

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chenal is a rare combination of size (250 pounds) and speed (4.53 40-yard dash) that will certainly get the attention of a former head coach with an affinity for pencils. He’s a run stuffer through and through and was a tackling machine last year for Wisconsin, tallying 115 with 18.5 of those for loss. He earned first-team All American for his fantastic 2021 campaign. He earned a PFF run grade of 94.1 last year, which was just behind Micah Parsons’ 94.8 record-setting mark. His coverage skills have a long way to go, but he has the tools in his toolbox to improve there.

BB_72: hot take was stated by @Mebert

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Detroit Lions

First round: No. 2, No. 32
Total picks: 9
Needs: Edge rusher, LB, WR, TE, S, QB

What you need to know: Consensus for three months has been that if Hutchinson doesn’t go to Jacksonville, the Lions will keep him home—and that makes a ton of sense. If Hutchinson goes first, then Walker is widely seen as a better cultural fit for Dan Campbell’s program than Kayvon Thibodeaux. But … it’s been pointed out to me that one of the few pro days GM Brad Holmes made it to this spring was Oregon’s, and he led an armada of Lions folks that included Chris Spielman, and the Lions had him in for a 30 visit after that. Detroit’s also been connected, in my talks with teams, to Liberty QB Malik Willis and Cincinnati CB Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner. Would they take a corner or quarterback at No. 2? We’ll see. Most rival teams don’t think so.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Muma (No.92) and Chenal (no.102) aren't getting the respect they deserve.

This list has Montana State LB Troy Anderson at No.71. Anderson has the athletic traits, but he damn for sure is raw playing the LB position for only two years. Anderson has Leighton VanderEsch written all over him as far as I'm concerned. I could never see Lions drafting another raw LB yet from an FCS school to pair with Barnes. That would be two highly inexperienced LB. I've read where quite a few fans have pined for this kid. No, just simply, Hell to the no.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The narratives around Oregon EDGE Kayvon Thibodeaux are wild. It’s not even worth trying to disseminate the discourse. Here’s what is germane to Detroit:

Thibodeaux is absolutely still in play for the team at No. 2. No question. I do believe there are some in the Lions draft room who are not sold on Thibodeaux, for reasons both on and off the field. I also strongly believe he’s the player GM Brad Holmes would take at No. 2 if the decision was solely his — even over Hutchinson.

But that’s not how this Lions front office rolls. It’s very much a collaborative effort between Holmes, assistant GM Ray Agnew, senior advisor John Dorsey, head coach Dan Campbell, special assistant Chris Spielman and an empowered scouting and coaching staff. Holmes is the ultimate decision-maker, but he’s not the type to override the system.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Old Lion will love this

Muma has Dan Campbell written all over him. He’s a high-effort, high-character player—and two-time captain—who also happens to bring all the physical traits to make it at the next level. A converted safety from high school, Muma is well above average in coverage (three interceptions last year), but he has a gritty mindset that helps him defend the run despite occasionally being overpowered.

Hopefully he isn't another Alma Francis.

Marinelli: Oh he brought cookies! This second round investment is already paying off!!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he isn't another Alma Francis.

Marinelli: Oh he brought cookies! This second round investment is already paying off!!

BTW, only 4 teams had Georgia LB Quay Walker in as a TOP 30 visit. Maybe he lasts until No.66, but I highly doubt it.

Dallas...................... maybe at No.56. It's Jeruh Jones and Jaylon Smith is gone and VanderEsch was brought back for one year
Det........................... highly doubtful at No.34, but here's where Holmes more than likely trades down and not at No.32
Jax............................ Extremely doubtful at No.33, but they have N0.65 and No.70
Pit............................. Maybe at No.52

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, this kid is electric.

Jones is coming off a fantastic season with 18 passes defended and five interceptions. But at just 5-foot-8, 174 pounds, he is purely a nickelback at the next level. Where he may intrigue the Lions is his skills as a returner—seeing as Detroit has no electric special teams weapon right now.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another TOP Prospects list where Thibodeaux has dropped.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first time I heard him talk.
Super torn on him as he looks like a super diva like Deon Sanders. But Sanders had a great career. Why can't he?

Arguably, he has the highest ceiling of Any edge rusher in this class. That's a great point about Deion, but I don't see that kind of extreme in Kayvon.

I cannot wait to see what transpires tomorrow night if both he and Hutch are available at No.2

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
April 21, 2022

By Tom Hanslin and The Zach Gelb Show
CBS Sports Radio

Every spring, there's at least one NFL prospect who receives an unwarranted level of scrutiny from reputable analysts and mock draft experts. The dubious honor currently belongs to Oregon standout pass-rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux, whose first-round draft stock has dipped this offseason due to odd questions about his work ethic and motivation. A few months ago, he was considered a top-overall pick on leaguewide boards.

Thibodeaux hasn't tried to hide his personality and character. Throughout the whole scouting process, he's been talkative and eloquent in media sessions, embracing the spotlight. For some teams, his off-field traits might be viewed as turn-offs. But Thibodeaux undoubtedly has the tools and frame to emerge as an elite game-wrecker. And one of his former Ducks teammates hopes the league is focusing more on what's been showcased on the field.

"Everything you see on tape, KT's a great player. Very physical, just physically dominant," Oregon running back CJ Verdell explained to The Zach Gelb Show on Thursday. "He looks to impose his will on anyone he goes up against, and he's very fast. Just a great student of the game as well. He loves it... Anyone who doubts his work ethic, they need to go back and watch some tape.

"You guys aren't there at practice, but he takes practice very seriously. And he's always looking to get better, and competes in every rep. His work ethic, to me, is unmatched. A force to be reckoned with. He gets in the backfield a lot. Our tackles definitely had fun going up against him in practice. In practice, he's very physically dominant. That's probably the best way to describe him."

Thibodeaux, who declared for the draft in December, is listed as the second-ranked edge rusher and seventh overall prospect on Pro Football Focus' big board. In 10 games this past year, he recorded 49 total tackles (35 solo) with 46 pressures, seven sacks, and a pair of forced fumbles. The 6-foot-3, 254-pounder finished with 19 sacks and 35.5 tackles for loss in 30 career games and won the Morris Trophy in 2020 as the Pac-12's best defensive lineman.

As for Verdell, he'll be hoping to receive a league phone call next weekend. Listed at 5-foot-8 and 194 pounds, he's currently the 254th overall prospect on PFF's draft board, and the 25th-ranked running back. Verdell played only five games last season, due to a leg injury suffered in early October. But his time on the field was productive, as he racked up 406 yards with six scores. Verdell also helped Oregon upset Ohio State, with a mammoth 161 yards.

The entire NFL Draft conversation between Verdell and Gelb can be accessed in the audio player above.
You can follow The Zach Gelb Show on Twitter @ZachGelb and Tom Hanslin @TomHanslin.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Thibodeaux allegedly smokes (whatever it is) and yet promotes/endorses a plant-based protein product.
I think the reports that came out about him are unfounded.

ENDORSEMENTS​

This isn’t Thibodeaux’s first play in the blockchain space. In July, he announced an NFT partnership with Nike founder Phil Knight and renowned sneaker designer Tinker Hatfield.

The entrepreneurial athlete also set up a charity called the Jream Foundation, which serves disadvantaged youth, and inked deals with PlanetFuel, a plant-based protein product, and Starface, a skincare line. Word on the curb is that he’s also signed a six-figure private memorabilia deal.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scouts Cite Off-Field Concerns​

There is a growing consensus that Kayvon Thibodeaux may have work ethic and motor issues. NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said Thibodeaux has “spotty” effort, and ESPN’s Todd McShay stated in February that some NFL teams are concerned that Thibodeaux “doesn’t play with the same fire as other prospects.”

The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman recently published his 2022 mock draft featuring input from scouts and coaches on some of the top prospects in this class. Some of the quotes listed in the article were eye-opening. There were questions about his lack of consistency and effort – one coach pondered, “how important is football to him?”

One coach compared him to former UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen, saying, “they’re both really good football players, and if they really concentrated on football, they’d be really good at it. But you listen to Thibodeaux talk, and you wonder about his mindset.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comparing Thibodeaux to Aidan Hutchinson​

The strong consensus opinion is that Aidan Hutchinson is the top prospect in this year’s draft due to proven production and having a high floor. However, Thibodeaux’s output wasn’t that far off from Hutchinson’s last season, as he played the season a year younger. Hutchinson led the country with 55 hurries, tied for first with 14 sacks, and ranked third with 74 total pressures. Thibodeaux ranked outside of the top 15 in all three of those categories.

However, the efficiency metrics per PFF’s Premium Stats show that Thibodeaux and Hutchinson were much closer. Thibodeaux’s 23.2% pass-rush win rate was narrowly behind Hutchinson’s 25%. PFF has a PRP metric that measures sacks, hits, and hurries compared to the number of pass-rush reps, and Thibodeaux’s 10.7 rate is just behind Hutchinson’s 10.9.

Kayvon Thibodeaux also performed exceptionally well in athletic testing to earn a 92 overall grade per NFL Next Gen Stats and a 9.61 Relative Athletic Score grade. His 4.58-second 40-yard dash ranks in the 93rd percentile of edge rushers per MockDraftable, and his 1.59-second 10-yard split ranks in the 87th percentile. He also led his position group with 27 bench reps.

Aidan Hutchinson ranked as a 95 overall prospect per Next Gen Stats and finished with a stellar 9,88 RAS grade. His 3-cone drill came in at 6.73 seconds, which rates in the 99th percentile for defensive ends, and he ranked in the 94th percentile with a 4.15-second short shuttle.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the Texans org told him the Lions are taking Thibodeaux at 2:

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arguably, he has the highest ceiling of Any edge rusher in this class. That's a great point about Deion, but I don't see that kind of extreme in Kayvon.

I cannot wait to see what transpires tomorrow night if both he and Hutch are available at No.2

He has a higher upside than Hutch but a much much lower floor.
Even though his upside is higher. I don't think it is THAT MUCH higher than Hutchinson.
Not a fan of drafting MICH players cause they are generally over rated but I would lean towards Hutch over KT when all is said and done.