• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a quick question for the more cap knowledgible folks out here. What does New Orleans do to get out of this hole they are in? Is there any market for Michael Thomas at this point? And can they even get around that dead cap? And what about some of those other bills coming due? What moves do you all think they can make or will make?
Well Cutting Thomas would only save 3 mil with a huge dead cap. Trading him would help a lot since a lot of his contract is in base salary. But who would take on that trade?
57 mil over the cap they are in deep shit.
Cant restructure Thomas or Jordans contract. They are already taking cap hits after their contracts end as well as being long in the tooth.
They could kick the can with Lattimore's by restructuring his contract. Same with Ramczyk's contract.
Other thing they can do is extend some of their not so old players, bringing down the cap hits of some.
Biggest problem I see is they arent saving much or simple lose cap space if they cut any of their spendy players.

Havent seen this type of cap hell in awhile.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Cutting Thomas would only save 3 mil with a huge dead cap. Trading him would help a lot since a lot of his contract is in base salary. But who would take on that trade?
Cant restructure Thomas or Jordans contract. They are already taking cap hits after their contracts end as well as being long in the tooth.
They could kick the can with Lattimore's by restructuring his contract. Same with Ramczyk's contract.
Other thing they can do is extend some of their not so old players, bringing down the cap hits of some.
Biggest problem I see is they arent saving much or simple lose cap space if they cut any of their spendy players.

Yeah, it's really bad for sure. And Thomas having basically zero trade value now makes it worse.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are they paying the TE/QB again?

yet, everyone is sure Sean is the next great hire.
I remain not as sure as the mainstream football fan.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They were in the same situation just last year. They will do the same thing that they did last year. Restructure a couple vet contracts to take their cap hits from next year to near nothing and kick more of it down the road even more.

The league always hands out awards to the best GM's and coaches in the league. They really should hand them out for the worst in the league too.
And if they did have an award for worst GM in the league, Mickey Loomis flat out would win it. Even with Patton making the horrible trade for Wilson, Loomis has somehow managed to outdo him for the worst in the league.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and the cuts begin:

Titans release:
Robert Woods, WR
Taylor Lewan, LT
Randy Bullock, K
Zach Cunningham, ILB

...clearing a combined $37.9M of cap space in the process.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some big names there
I didnt think Robert Woods was great last year but he should still have a couple of years of solid play left. I suspect he'll have a market.

Not sure about Lewan. He might be broken at this point.

All i know is that I hope Vrabel is too proud to tank for Caleb Williams next year.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt think Robert Woods was great last year but he should still have a couple of years of solid play left. I suspect he'll have a market.

Not sure about Lewan. He might be broken at this point.

All i know is that I hope Vrabel is too proud to tank for Caleb Williams next year.
Biggest benefit to him is that this year’s crop of FA WR seem like a whole bunch of meh.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woods wasn't a fit for a QB like Tannehill and he was always going to struggle early on given his 2021 injury. He's a good fit for deeper crossing route QBs because he isn't fast but his timing and positioning is excellent. If the Lions keep Goff they should be interested in Woods.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest benefit to him is that this year’s crop of FA WR seem like a whole bunch of meh.

That's always is kind of the case.

Last years best was Christian Kirk and Allen Robinson. The year before it was Golladay and Corey Davis. Year before that Emmanuel Sanders and Robbie Anderson.

This is why you draft your WR's. Free agent market isn't a place you should be shopping for one because you rarely are going to find a quality buy.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always is kind of the case.

Last years best was Christian Kirk and Allen Robinson. The year before it was Golladay and Corey Davis. Year before that Emmanuel Sanders and Robbie Anderson.

This is why you draft your WR's. Free agent market isn't a place you should be shopping for one because you rarely are going to find a quality buy.
Great point. It’s been a little bit since a solid FA WR is out there.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He wants a contract that measure with his skill-set and ability."

so He wants high Back up money? :scratch:
Ok.