• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carole King and Tina are already in as a songwriter and with Ike respectively. Both strike me as deserving as solo artists. Forget what is or isn't real rock & roll .. the R&R HOF is basically just a post-1954 popular music HOF.

The NY Dolls debut is one of my "desert island" albums but they only released 2 albums during their very brief heyday. I don't have strong feelings about any of them being deserving, though. Thoughts?
  • Mary J. Blige
  • Kate Bush
  • Devo
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Go-Go’s
  • Iron Maiden
  • JAY-Z
  • Chaka Khan
  • Carole King
  • Fela Kuti
  • LL Cool J
  • New York Dolls
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Tina Turner
  • Dionne Warwick

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Rage Against the Machine just got in but that talentless hack Janet Jackson's already in there?

Been to the RnR HOF several times before I got outta NE Ohio. Great place. But the selection process at times has been a real head scratcher.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

Kinda hard to just forget about the Rock and Roll part of the Hall of Fame when there are other music Hall of Fames (Hip Hop, Country, etc). Only one of those lets whoever the fuck in.

I get putting some old country, blues, and r&b artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. No one's really going to argue that the Temptations and Johnny Cash don't belong because maybe it's not technically rock and roll. The lines between genres blurred a bit more back then. And I even get the fact that they want to paint with a wide brush here because it's hard to define what is and isn't rock music.

But Jay Z and LL Cool J? That's clearly hip-hop. Madonna and Janet Jackson? That's clearly not rock music. Those artists would never consider themselves rock artists.

They really need to change the name to just Music Hall of Fame or something because at this point every single year it's just a repeat of Jethro Tull winning best metal album the first year they gave it out at the Grammy's.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Rage Against the Machine just got in but that talentless hack Janet Jackson's already in there?

Been to the RnR HOF several times before I got outta NE Ohio. Great place. But the selection process at times has been a real head scratcher.
Rage isn't in yet. They are just nominated.

And really I'm not sure a single artist up there deserves to get in before Judas Priest, a band that defines a major subgenre of rock music and a band who was recently snubbed for the likes of Bon Jovi and Whitney Houston.

Priest will get in eventually, but they gotta Jay fuckin' Z in first I guess.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And really I'm not sure a single artist up there deserves to get in before Judas Priest, a band that defines a major subgenre of rock music and a band who was recently snubbed for the likes of Bon Jovi and Whitney Houston.

My bad on that one. I spaced out. And JP isn't in yet? Damn. Thought they were already in.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock and roll started in the 50's, we all know this. So while they were influensed by those old blues cats they weren't playing rock and roll. no for Louis Jordan, The Ink Spots etc.

The first rock and rollers were Lloyd Price, Big Joe Turner*** Jackie Brenston. Chuck Berry, Elvis, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino.

The Hall of Fame must be the elite of the elite those who made some impact in that genre.

I own TONS of old blues music, but you have only heard of a few of these guys, that is what a HOF is about.

Ishman Bracey was an old Delta player back in the 20's, in one of his tunes he says......rock church rock......was that the first time we ever heard rock in a song?

*** more blues but his Shake, Rattle, Roll......solid rock & roll.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

Kinda hard to just forget about the Rock and Roll part of the Hall of Fame when there are other music Hall of Fames (Hip Hop, Country, etc). Only one of those lets whoever the fuck in.

I get putting some old country, blues, and r&b artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. No one's really going to argue that the Temptations and Johnny Cash don't belong because maybe it's not technically rock and roll. The lines between genres blurred a bit more back then. And I even get the fact that they want to paint with a wide brush here because it's hard to define what is and isn't rock music.

But Jay Z and LL Cool J? That's clearly hip-hop. Madonna and Janet Jackson? That's clearly not rock music. Those artists would never consider themselves rock artists.

They really need to change the name to just Music Hall of Fame or something because at this point every single year it's just a repeat of Jethro Tull winning best metal album the first year they gave it out at the Grammy's.

I agree that the RnR HOF is misnamed because they honor more than just rock and roll artists. Which is fine. A place like that should honor all of music.

Last time I was there, '05 if I remember correctly, they had a John Lennon & Jimi Hendrix exhibit up at the time. Both were great. Each time I went there they had different exhibits.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the RnR HOF is misnamed because they honor more than just rock and roll artists. Which is fine. A place like that should honor all of music.

Last time I was there, '05 if I remember correctly, they had a John Lennon & Jimi Hendrix exhibit up at the time. Both were great. Each time I went there they had different exhibits.
Yeah it wouldn't really matter if so many other genres of music didn't have their own HOFs that are fairly exclusive.

Never been to the RnR HOF myself.

I visited the EMP in Seattle (don't know if it's still there) like 10 years ago though. They had a bunch of cool shit from Seattle area bands/artists like Hendrix, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC, Heart, Queenryche, etc. It's definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it wouldn't really matter if so many other genres of music didn't have their own HOFs that are fairly exclusive.

Never been to the RnR HOF myself.

I visited the EMP in Seattle (don't know if it's still there) like 10 years ago. They had a bunch of cool shit from Seattle area bands/arists like Hendrix, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC, Heart, Queenryche, etc. It's definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Good deal. And it's worth checking out if you have an interest in the complete history of rock and roll. I was only about 35 miles away from the RnR HOF. So went up there a bunch of times. Was even closer to the the NFL hof. Only about 20 miles.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Motorhead, Whitney Houston, not in how could they even think of some of the trash they nominated.

Rage, Foo, Iron , King, Warwick , Z, Todd , Tina and Devo are deserving. They all had great careers and gave music the best of their talents.

Rundgren is a master in the music industry, Rage invited a whole new generation to their style of music, Iron Maiden has outstanding shows and performances. I can see at least these 3 making it

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

Totally agree with you on Judas Priest. They should have been in years ago.

Just to be a bit of a pain in the ass, I will debate the "metalness" of Jethro Tull. While they are essentially an electric progressive folk rock band using blues as a musical base, they do have many "metal" moments in their career. I was in a metal-ish band that covered Dangerous Veils, Locomotive Breath, and My God at one time or another and fucked around with Nothings Easy, Farm on the Freeway, etc. and we really didn't have to do much to change them but have a guitar replace the flute.
However, Crest of the Knave didn't win "Best Metal" it won in the "Best Hard Rock/Metal" catagory. While I can't necessarily defend it winning over "And Justice For All" for content, I can safely say that it is Hard Rock, and that Lars sneaking into the studio and fucking up the bass mix so his drums would be more prominent really hurts the quality of AJFA.

I'm waaaayyyyy off topic and just rambling now. So par for the course for me!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Metal gets no respect from them. It took 11 years for them to induct Black Sabbath ffs. I'm not much of a metal fan, but that was nuts. They should have been inducted their first year of eligibility.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's a timing limit before a band can even be nominated (25 years after their first album). Janet's first release was in 1982, RATM in 1992.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Motorhead, Whitney Houston, not in how could they even think of some of the trash they nominated.

Rage, Foo, Iron , King, Warwick , Z, Todd , Tina and Devo are deserving. They all had great careers and gave music the best of their talents.

Rundgren is a master in the music industry, Rage invited a whole new generation to their style of music, Iron Maiden has outstanding shows and performances. I can see at least these 3 making it
You need to update your rant. Whitney and Depeche Mode got in last year.

Tina is already in with Ike; does her solo career necessitate another induction?

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tina is already in with Ike; does her solo career necessitate another induction?
Maybe I do but my point still stands, and yes Tina should go in solo before some others.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night I watched Tina Turner in what was supposed to be her last performance (turns out it wasn't) at Wembley Stadium in 2000. We'd recorded the PBS fund-raiser where the entire concert was the prize for contributing so they only show about half of it.

What an incredible performer. Even at 60 at the time she hadn't lost a step. She definitely needs to be in on her own merit.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol I was right.

Jay fucking Z gets in the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME before Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

This just reminds of that Chappelle show sketch with Paul Mooney critiquing movies.

"TOM CRUISE is The Last Samurai? BRAD PITT is The Mexican? I'm making a movie called 'The Last N*gga on Earth'. Starring Tom Hanks." That's almost how stupid this is.

If that's not bad enough, the fuckin' Foo Fighters got in. Jesus Christ. What's the phrase with the NFL HoF? "It's not the Hall of Pretty Good".

Well in the case of the Foo Fighters it's more like "It's not the Hall of Okay I Guess".

I guess nobody takes the retards making these decisions seriously anyway, but god damn.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, absolutely.. on general principles based upon her live performance alone, if nothing else. She was the Queen of Rock & Roll. Ike Turner is a R&R footnote without Tina.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol I was right.

Jay fucking Z gets in the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME before Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

This just reminds of that Chappelle show sketch with Paul Mooney critiquing movies.

"TOM CRUISE is The Last Samurai? BRAD PITT is The Mexican? I'm making a movie called 'The Last N*gga on Earth'. Starring Tom Hanks." That's almost how stupid this is.

If that's not bad enough, the fuckin' Foo Fighters got in. Jesus Christ. What's the phrase with the NFL HoF? "It's not the Hall of Pretty Good".

Well in the case of the Foo Fighters it's more like "It's not the Hall of Okay I Guess".

I guess nobody takes the retards making these decisions seriously anyway, but god damn.

Once you open the doors for hip hop it's hard not to have Jay Z in there but totally agree on the merit of your statement

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitney Houston was a bridge too far, imo. What next.. Mariah Carey, Celine Dion.. why not Barbara Streisand while we're at it?