• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots UDFA Signings

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far? zilch! Bill? Bill?
There have been some very good UDFA signings already. None of them Patriots - to my knowledge. Uncharacteristic?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots have not signed an UDFA.

It does not appear that they will be signing anyone.

All ten of the CBs and WRs That I posted in the draft thread have signed with other teams. Shakur Brown signed with Pittsburgh.

CBS has listed very UDFA signing with every team.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots have not signed an UDFA.

It does not appear that they will be signing anyone.

All ten of the CBs and WRs That I posted in the draft thread have signed with other teams. Shakur Brown signed with Pittsburgh.

CBS has listed very UDFA signing with every team.
There's got to be a reason. The Pats have been a place where UDFs have a shot to make the team. Maybe he's sending a message to future UDFs. If you come here you have a chance to make the team, and we're not going to waste your time if we feel there are no positions up for grabs. It could also be a message to the whole team: we are not wasting time with a bloated training camp team. You come in shape day1, and from day1 we are working on game 1.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's got to be a reason. The Pats have been a place where UDFs have a shot to make the team. Maybe he's sending a message to future UDFs. If you come here you have a chance to make the team, and we're not going to waste your time if we feel there are no positions up for grabs. It could also be a message to the whole team: we are not wasting time with a bloated training camp team. You come in shape day1, and from day1 we are working on game 1.
It could also be that he got a full house of new guys that came aboard and he won't have time to waste checking out fringe players.
There's a full roster and 10 practice squad guys.

More important, the Patriots official roster as I type sits at 82 players. There are also 8 players who were free agents and didn't sign anywhere else nd could come back. Burkhead, Simon, Ferentz, Calhoun and Byrd are five of them.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a combination like BK is alluding to. Great FA, guys returning from IR, full team, unsigned NE players or other unsigned vets.

I think this year we see lots of guys who were/have been on the team being released.

A lot of this draft class can play STs as they sit and learn. I think we have a bright future.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now know the reason:

"....... Some of them, as Reiss notes, had guaranteed money in their contract."

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an UDRFA not sure anyone would ever consider anyone a long term answer at that draft position.

Bottom line is it's a position of consideration so why not take a shot?
I don't disagree. Folk is getting old and Arguayo has not one anything.
Perhaps this guy can compete with Arguayo and maybe one of them becomes a kicker?
I wonder what percentage of NFL kickers come from draft picks?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. Folk is getting old and Arguayo has not one anything.
Perhaps this guy can compete with Arguayo and maybe one of them becomes a kicker?
I wonder what percentage of NFL kickers come from draft picks?
If you mean rounds 1 thru 7 I bet it's a small percentage

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an UDRFA not sure anyone would ever consider anyone a long term answer at that draft position.

Bottom line is it's a position of consideration so why not take a shot?
What was Adam Vinatieri's back story?
1st...2nd round pick?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the other day he got worse as years went by... This just seems like either a warm body or a signing based on super duper triple secret inside information.
I think that as Folk must be replaced, it is a good idea to get competition amongst the young kickers and it costs the team nothing to do so.
While he'll get paid for awhile, it is very likely one or both will get cut if we don't see something soon.

An article I read claims there are ore competent kickers than there are teams available......

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like many successful kickers, he was undrafted.....
Actually, Vinitieri was undrafted and unsigned his first year, then signed on with the World Football League (later named NFL Europe). He signed with the Pats for the following season.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are on average, one kicker drafted each year but there are at least 32 ickers playing.

Atl kicker Koo was bouncing around as a free agent until Atl picked him up. Why didn't we?????

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atl kicker Koo was bouncing around as a free agent until Atl picked him up. Why didn't we?????
I mentioned him back when he was stirring around. He had a decent background but nothing that jumped off the charts.

Bill is like most other coaches. He'd rather sign a known 33 year old veteran than risk constant FU's by a rookie. The biggest problem with an older vet is the distinct possibility of the kicking leg dying a horrendous death in the middle of a season. The Ghost is still lurking and BB thought that his leg and hip were too great a risk.

I've read where many people don't consider kickers as 'football players'. Then again, a kicker just might have to have a better mind than most 'players'.