• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Offseason/Season... Draft, FA & Staff

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their current draft picks:

Rd 1, pick 24
Rd 2, pick 23 (55th ovr)
Rd 3, pick 24 (88th ovr)
Rd 4, pick 23 (119th ovr)
Rd 6, pick 28 (via TB trade) (188th ovr)
Rd 7, pick 18 (via Miami trade) (210th ovr)
Rd 7, pick 28 (via Baltimore trade) (220th ovr)

Now let's talk needs!

Possible noteworthy losses: Smith-Schuster, Conner, McDonald, Ebron, Villanueva, Feiler, Banner, Hassenauer, Hawkins, Dobbs, Dupree, Hilton, Sutton, Alualu, Spillane, Williamson, Wormley, Dangerfield, M Allen, Davis, Adeniyi, Berry

Here's my quick list of needs (accounting for some predicted losses):

Tier 1:
QB
... Obvious choice here. But getting a long-term solution at 24th overall just won't happen. Trade up would have to happen.
OT... AVill, Banner & Hawkins are FAs. Desperately need to replace AVill at LT. But this class is deep, so waiting to draft may be more logical if a difference maker drops. Wouldn't mind a double-dip at this position.
IOL... Hopefully Pouncey retires. They need interior OL to upgrade both C & G. Dotson should start next season, but DeCastro didn't look good this year. Feiler & JCH are FAs.
DT... Alualu is FA. That leaves Buggs & Davis. They need talent here.
TE... McDonald & Ebron are FAs. Neither was worth what they got paid. Time to get younger at this position & stop bandaiding it.
CB... Hilton & Sutton are FAs. Really can't afford to lose both.

Tier 2:
RB
... Conner is a FA and honestly not worth the signing to keep. Snell looked lost this season. McFarland could be the starter, but not sure what faith I give that.
EDGE... Dupree will most likely be gone unless they tag him again. Ola is a FA. Watt & Highsmith are formidable, but they need depth.
WR... If they lose Juju then this may go tier 1. I'm optimistic that they resign him. Claypool, DJ & Washington aren't a bad trio on paper, but that's a shaky group.
LB... Bush, Williams & UG3 will be back. Would love it if they found a way to keep Spillane & Williamson around but they are both FAs.
S... Minkah & Edmunds will be back. Dangerfield, Allen & Davis are FAs. May need depth here.

Obviously subject to change! A lot of this will be solved via extensions and FA.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Claypool, Johnson, and Washington would be a shaky group? I would rank that as one of the strongest rooms on this team to be honest. What's your thought pattern here? Diontae's hands will continue to be a problem? Chase still too unproven?

You guys really told everyone this was coming and I downplayed it last year. But. That offensive line is a mess. I almost think that needs fixed before we worry about who's running the ball or who is the future at the quarterback position. We might need a couple years to rebuild that line before we can give a QB and RB enough room to operate.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys gonna resign JuJu?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Claypool, Johnson, and Washington would be a shaky group? I would rank that as one of the strongest rooms on this team to be honest. What's your thought pattern here? Diontae's hands will continue to be a problem? Chase still too unproven?

You guys really told everyone this was coming and I downplayed it last year. But. That offensive line is a mess. I almost think that needs fixed before we worry about who's running the ball or who is the future at the quarterback position. We might need a couple years to rebuild that line before we can give a QB and RB enough room to operate.
WR... DJ's hands are the obvious factor. I have a lot of faith in Claypool to make the big leap in year 2. No reason not to believe that. But I need to see a lot of growth in his route tree. And would love to see him high point & fight for balls more. Most of the time it looked like he wanted the ball to fall in stride. If it didn't he wasn't coming down with it. Elite WRs go after that sumbitch regardless of how poorly thrown it is. I want to see him become that type of player. I like Washington, but his usage just doesn't merit trust. Not his fault at all, but I don't know how anyone could feel confident with him yet. He dropped some crucial catches this year. Not a lot, but a few in the EZ that could have made a big difference in the outcome of games last season.

OL... Precisely. They got lucky with Dotson, but its still a mess. No QB or RB will be able to thrive behind this shitshow. In my ideal offseason I think they need to heavily invest in the OL, hire a new offensive coordinator, and let Ben play out his contract at a paycut or reduced cap hit (not sure how they pull this off yet). Honestly I do think its time for Ben to retire, but I think he'd play 1 more year if they allowed it. In his postgame presser he said "I need time to think & pray on it, but I hope the Steelers would want me back". They could take the Bengals approach & take a shot on a QB in the 1st Rd and let him Joe-Burrow his way through his rookie season behind a makeshift OL, but that's really only a shot worth taking if that QB prospect is a long-term solution. Zach Wilson or Mac Jones are about the only 2 players that may fall if teams go WR-heavy early on in the draft. I'd be thrilled with Wilson, but Jones seems iffy. Playing at 'Bama has its perks.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rd 1, pick 24
Rd 2, pick 23 (55th ovr)
Rd 3, pick 24 (88th ovr)

Now let's talk needs!

Possible noteworthy losses: Smith-Schuster, Conner, McDonald, Ebron, Villanueva, Feiler, Banner, Hassenauer, Hawkins, Dobbs, Dupree, Hilton, Sutton, Alualu, Spillane, Williamson, Wormley, Dangerfield, M Allen, Davis, Adeniyi, Berry

Tier 1:
QB
... Obvious choice here. But getting a long-term solution at 24th overall just won't happen. Trade up would have to happen.
OT... AVill, Banner & Hawkins are FAs. Desperately need to replace AVill at LT. But this class is deep, so waiting to draft may be more logical if a difference maker drops. Wouldn't mind a double-dip at this position.
IOL... Hopefully Pouncey retires. They need interior OL to upgrade both C & G. Dotson should start next season, but DeCastro didn't look good this year. Feiler & JCH are FAs.
TE... McDonald & Ebron are FAs. Neither was worth what they got paid. Time to get younger at this position & stop bandaiding it.

Tier 2:
RB
... Conner is a FA and honestly not worth the signing to keep. Snell looked lost this season. McFarland could be the starter, but not sure what faith I give that.
EDGE... Dupree will most likely be gone unless they tag him again. Ola is a FA. Watt & Highsmith are formidable, but they need depth.
WR... If they lose Juju then this may go tier 1. I'm optimistic that they resign him. Claypool, DJ & Washington aren't a bad trio on paper, but that's a shaky group.
LB... Bush, Williams & UG3 will be back. Would love it if they found a way to keep Spillane & Williamson around but they are both FAs.
S... Minkah & Edmunds will be back. Dangerfield, Allen & Davis are FAs. May need depth here.

Obviously subject to change! A lot of this will be solved via extensions and FA.
Rudolph isn't the answer? He had a good game when he started this season.....no possibility he's the future as the starting QB?

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudolph isn't the answer? He had a good game when he started this season.....no possibility he's the future as the starting QB?
None.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'd do ok with a better OC calling the shots... But thinking he's a long-term solution takes a big stretch of the imagination.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'd do ok with a better OC calling the shots... But thinking he's a long-term solution takes a big stretch of the imagination.
Not saying he'd be great....but if you go with a running game and defense, he couldn't be maybe an Alex Smith type? Game manager type?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR... DJ's hands are the obvious factor. I have a lot of faith in Claypool to make the big leap in year 2. No reason not to believe that. But I need to see a lot of growth in his route tree. And would love to see him high point & fight for balls more. Most of the time it looked like he wanted the ball to fall in stride. If it didn't he wasn't coming down with it. Elite WRs go after that sumbitch regardless of how poorly thrown it is. I want to see him become that type of player. I like Washington, but his usage just doesn't merit trust. Not his fault at all, but I don't know how anyone could feel confident with him yet. He dropped some crucial catches this year. Not a lot, but a few in the EZ that could have made a big difference in the outcome of games last season.

OL... Precisely. They got lucky with Dotson, but its still a mess. No QB or RB will be able to thrive behind this shitshow. In my ideal offseason I think they need to heavily invest in the OL, hire a new offensive coordinator, and let Ben play out his contract at a paycut or reduced cap hit (not sure how they pull this off yet). Honestly I do think its time for Ben to retire, but I think he'd play 1 more year if they allowed it. In his postgame presser he said "I need time to think & pray on it, but I hope the Steelers would want me back". They could take the Bengals approach & take a shot on a QB in the 1st Rd and let him Joe-Burrow his way through his rookie season behind a makeshift OL, but that's really only a shot worth taking if that QB prospect is a long-term solution. Zach Wilson or Mac Jones are about the only 2 players that may fall if teams go WR-heavy early on in the draft. I'd be thrilled with Wilson, but Jones seems iffy. Playing at 'Bama has its perks.
WR - Agree 100% with this. I think I have a little more faith in Washington for some reason that I can't quantify. I like him as a WR3.

I think if they go QB it's gotta be a move up. Number one, it needs to be the kind of player you move up for. Not the kind you take at the end of the round "because he's still there". I actually really like what I've seen from Mac Jones but you're right, Alabama has it's perks. How much of what you see can be trusted?

It looks like there will be five QB going in the first this year. It's a deep class. Seems like a good time to take a shot at one from that vantage point if there's a guy you like. But that line... ugh. We need to invest draft capital in that line.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he'd be great....but if you go with a running game and defense, he couldn't be maybe an Alex Smith type? Game manager type?
That's a best-case scenario if Ben retires & they don't land a QB in the draft. Definitely an option, but its a hard sell right now if they don't revamp the O-line. There's just no way anyone could "game manage" behind that shitshow.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a best-case scenario if Ben retires & they don't land a QB in the draft. Definitely an option, but its a hard sell right now if they don't revamp the O-line. There's just no way anyone could "game manage" behind that shitshow.
Oh, I would hope they revamp the OL....was just asking because I haven't seen much of Rudolph.....just glimpses.....he's best known for his altercation with Garrett.....LOL.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rd 1, pick 24
Rd 2, pick 23 (55th ovr)
Rd 3, pick 24 (88th ovr)

Now let's talk needs!

Tier 1:
QB

Tier 2:
RB

I like your tier list. Pretty cool way to analyze the draft upcoming. Props and kudos to you my friend.

As for me, coming into the 25th year of being a Steelers fan, I'm getting too old to be dealing with this shit for another 10 years. Let's just go down the list of accomplishments in the last 10 years and the reason why I do 10 years is because we haven't been to a Super Bowl in that long.

2011 - 12-4, 2nd in division, 0-1 in playoffs
2012 - 8-8, 3rd in division, missed the playoffs
2013 - 8-8, 2nd in division, missed the playoffs
2014 - 11-5, 1st in division, 0-1 in playoffs
2015 - 10-6, 2nd in division, 1-1 in playoffs
2016 - 11-5, 1st in division, 2-1 in playoffs, made it to AFC Title game
2017 - 13-3, 1st in division, 0-1 in playoffs
2018 - 9-6-1, 2nd in division, missed playoffs
2019 - 8-8, 2nd in division, missed playoffs
2020 - 12-4, 1st in divsion, 0-1 in playoffs

Quick TL;DR analysis shows you that in the last 10 years, we've missed the playoffs 4 times and went 1 and done in the playoffs in 4 years. Which means we have only won a playoff game in 2 of the last 10 years. 3-6 in the playoffs even though our combined regular season record for the last 10 years is 102-57-1.

QB - Ben Roethlisberger will go down as the greatest QB to ever put on a Steelers jersey. There's a debate to be had there but that's for another time and place. With that said, Ben Roethlisberger needs to retire. He's over throwing (something some of us get on Mason about), under throwing (something some of us get on Mason about), making bad reads (something some of us get on Mason about), he's not as mobile as he used to be (given his age and injuries) and he's not the best fit for this team going forward. Yes, Mason Rudolph should be the next starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers if we can't get a trade in for DeShaun Watson. I'm not saying he's the best guy for the future, but he's the best guy for the here and now. I'm fine with a few years of missing the playoffs if it means that we can get a SOLID and MATURE roster that just plays football.

RB - James Conner is not the answer and should not be resigned. Been saying this since he's been drafted and got HUGE SHIT for it but look at where we are now. 4 RBs on the roster and the guy who is supposed to be the leader of that room can't stay healthy and can't perform week in and week out. I'm not even sure if Snell is the answer and the jury is still out on McFarland. Our running game needs to improve drastically.

WR - Wow, what a shit show we have here. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a few years away from pulling an Antonio Brown unless someone gets that kid to wake up and grow up NOW. Chase Claypool, after his salty ass comments about the Browns getting clapped next week, he's showing signs of the same bullshit we've been dealing with with AB and NOW with JuJu. I refuse to go another few years with a top WR with an ego problem who is a continuous distraction to the team. I'm sorry to say this, but JuJu Smith-Schuster should NOT be resigned. Diontae Johnson deserve nothing more than a seat on the bench until he can prove that his hands aren't going to be bricks anymore. James Washington and Chase Claypool, on the field, are the best WRs we have and they should be treated as such.

TE - Get rid of every single TE we have and start new. Eric Ebron apparently is going to the same catching classes as Diontae Johnson, Vance can't stay healthy and they are just costing us money. This might be a key position for us come number 24.

O-Line - Feiler and Villenueva should be gone after this year. No excuses for how they played in the last stretch of the year. Maybe it's time to address this first and foremost in the draft.

Defense - Give Bud Dupree his money. Give Mike Hilton his money. Their play this year is worth it. But we need to get something going with this secondary. Edmunds, Sutton (played decent some games) and Nelson need to shape up or ship out. IDK if this year was enough to save Sutton's job but I wouldn't be too upset if he was paid.

Coaching - Fire Fichtner, Butler and Bradley. They all need to go. With that said, at some point, the ball has to stop at Mike Tomlin. You can only change coaches and players for so long until it's time to realize that maybe the Head Coach is the problem. I'm not saying that he's in the hot seat or should be fired but his seat needs to start getting warmed up a bit because these last 10 years have been ridiculous. We've had more attitude problems in the locker room than playoff wins! It's clear that with JuJu's tik tok dances, he still doesn't have full and complete control of this locker room. We need to go back to the Steeler football that actually worked for us before this decade of disappointment.

Final Analysis:

I can't narrow it down yet, but my top 5 wants (not in any particular order) are CB, S, OL, LB and TE. I wouldn't resign JuJu, Conner, Villenueva, Feiler, McDonald, Ebron or Dangerfield. I'm hesitant on the others except for Dupree and Hilton. They balled, they should get paid. If I had to give a solid answer right now, I think I'd want to address the O-Line first, then our TE situation and then our secondary. Barring any free agent signings and what not. Also, as I always do, I wouldn't say no to a trade up. Last time we did, we got Bush and it worked out. Maybe we trade up? Who knows! I wouldn't be opposed to it but also haven't looked much into the mock drafts and what not yet.

Free Agents to look at (not in any particular order):

WR: Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson
RB: Mike Davis, Philip Lindsay
TE: Jonnu Smith (not high on the list)
OL: Corey Linsley, Alex Mack
Defense: Matt Judon, Patrick Peterson

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So watkins has generally been on contracts with what somewhere bw 14-16 million cap hit? plus ALWAYS hurt.....

Arobs cap hit right now is 15.......but hes likely the top FA wr, and only 27 years old, hes gonna get paid....so you can kinda bank on what at least 15--16-17 a year cap hit.

watkins will take a pay cut but what, at best 26-30 million for those two.........

Davis and lindsay are not the answers.........davis lost work as the season went on to an UDFA. Lindsay is undersized, hurt often, and thought so highly of they signed melvin gordon.........similar options are already in house..

Jonnu....not sure the appeal there...........but he'll cost more than hes worht

macks 35 years old and 12 seasons in.....and has cap hits now of about 10-11, signing bonus etc, can expect likely there or slightly less. Currently the second highest paid center in the league......

Patrick peterson is turning 30, last chance for a decent payday. Also the second highest paid player at his position. roughly 13 million base.

Arob would be nice, but hes gonna cost a pretty penny. He also has never played with a legit qb, EVER. Something tells me hes gonna wanna go to a situation that has one...not an aging ben, and 1 good half rudolph.

How we gonna afford most of these, or one of these? cut everyone.....yeah if ben goes that frees up money....but for mostly aging vets

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm open to Zach Wilson or Trey Lance in the 1st. (I think I prefer Lance)

NOT Mac Jones or Kyle Trask. May as well wait for next year if those are the choices.

If it isn't one of those guys, it has to be OL.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm open to Zach Wilson or Trey Lance in the 1st. (I think I prefer Lance)

NOT Mac Jones or Kyle Trask. May as well wait for next year if those are the choices.

If it isn't one of those guys, it has to be OL.
im gonna be honest, right now, i dont love either of those guys. Lance had a magical 1 year run at a small school and is a hype train...........

wilson showed promise 2 years ago, and had a really great year. His arm is decent, definitely not great. Also alot of rumors that hes a jerk and so are his parents, plays hero ball.......ive read from a couple, not just one, that his attitude is johnny footbal sans the drugs. But that hes cock and cofident and will interview well. One source was walterfootball(not walt the other dude that actually has some insider knowledge), read it a few other places too.

Any of these qb's right now are pure hype right now, there were a ton of hype trains at this time last year too.......I tend to hold, i have a handful of guys i really like, neither are jones or trask. Wilson>lance for me......but id prefer to look at a few other guys, and see how they grade out......I have some guys, but i get pummeled in draft talk......did last year over wr's, and rb's, and qb's- I was not super far off! Im by no means right, i just wanna pump the breaks on the hype guys............

heck jacob eason was going round 1 and many argued last year he was gonna be good......and a bunch of others......

what do you like about those two? What don't you like about the other two..........i'll be honest trask and jones can sway me theres some positives to them both.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How could you not want this physical specimen?

Eri6JI2XAAMcevi

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see elements of Ben in Lance and Wilson.

I like Lances size, athleticism and presence especially. Again, Ben's ability there that we all loved for 17 years.

Eh, you get your preferences. Maybe I should open my mind a bit to some more talent.

I am especially wary of Mac, and being an Alabama QB.... That's a hard sell to me.

At any rate, I think QB is certainly a possibility this year. I don't want to be digging for any more developmental prospects though. Either get that blue chip, or wait till next year.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see elements of Ben in Lance and Wilson.

I like Lances size, athleticism and presence especially. Again, Ben's ability there that we all loved for 17 years.

Eh, you get your preferences. Maybe I should open my mind a bit to some more talent.

I am especially wary of Mac, and being an Alabama QB.... That's a hard sell to me.

At any rate, I think QB is certainly a possibility this year.
No thats the fun of the draft too. We all may see a bit of something else in guys, right? Theres things i hook into, and things others hook into. The only arguments i hate are the strict...”dudes a beast”, or “he dominated”..... yeah its college, theres so many more elements..

yeah i get the bama qb thing. I personally think hes a bit hyped. I see like a matt barkley kinda qb...but from what ive seen he has adrquate arm strength, and decent field vision and processing of the game. So thats always a huge bonus to me. Need to look more into him tbh.

trask is intriguing. He was raw, real raw. He wasnt supposed to be good...he wasnt supposed to play at florida lol. But he got in there, then hot hurt, Then came back.... he needed to take big jumps in alot if areas this year, and he did. He is still flawed, but he also has an incredible ceiling.... hes another that the draft process im gonna track closely.

the one qb that may slip thats got size, mobility, and an arm....is jamie newman. He transferrer to get better prepareD for the nfl, and was supposed to start at georgia and he opted out. He was getting some nice looks.... but sitting out that year when he had some things tO work on may hve cost him dearly....but he oozes talent as well. I have a few guys im high on