• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NFL Draft Discussion thread

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the topics I keep hitting on - and really confirmed by the Paton - Fangio press conference is that Paton got guys his coaches wanted to solve problems. Fangio obviously didn't want to find himself short of CBs again - Schumur obviously wanted a top RB who fit his style of offense - and McMahon on special teams wanted some guys who could block downfield for the return game - which is why the PBA picks in the later rounds - have special team abilities.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The video of Paton’s kid calling him in rd 1 before the pick was announced is great...

“Who are you guys taking”

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Crash's request to copy and paste a question I had about LB's and CB's, and I added a few other things in here. Transferring it over.

My top guys

CB
Shaun Wade, Ohio State (Nearly declared this year, can play CB or S)
Jaycee Horn, South Carolina
Patrick Surtain Jr, Alabama
Shawn Shamburger, Tennessee
Israel Mukamu, South Carolina
Paulsan Adebo, Stanford (So far not as high on him as others. I thought he had a down year last year after many thought he would declare and be a first rounder this year)
Josh Jobe, Alabama ( expect this guy to rise now that Diggs is in the NFL)
Marco Wilson, Florida

My favorite LB is Micah Parson of Penn State, he play on the inside. Athletic/freak. Actually considered him at PR did Penn State (probably more of a publicity stunt for him, but legit athletic ability like that)
Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama How has he recovered from his injury?

The EDGE position appears to be down a bit next year (at least early in the process) it will spike up once season rolls around.

Greg Rousseau of Miami is the top guy right now.
Joe Tyron of Washington might be the next one but going into the 2021 season but he doesn't JUMP out at me.. Right now there may not be an EDGE I would touch until the later portion of Round 1. Again, this will change once the season rolls around. er.

Carlos Basham might actually be my favorite EDGE right now. Guy from Wake Forest. Still pretty raw, but he gets pressure on the QB. I am excited to see how he develops this year.

ILB Paddy Fisher is a tackle machine. A more athletic Josey Jewell coming out. Not an athletic freak though.

Love Micah Parsons, I think he can be a top 10 pick. After that it is really wide open. I think Carlos Basham is most intriguing at EDGE, but he is very raw still.

My top 10 next year would be
1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
2. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
3. Penai Sewell, OL, Oregon
4. Walker Little, OL, Stanford
5. Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
6. Greg Rousseau, EDGE, Miami (FL)
7. Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson
8. Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State
9. Patrick Surtain Jr, CB, Alabama
10. Micah Parson, LB, Penn State

Not a top 10 NFL prospect, but probably a late Round 1, early Round 2 guy that I have talked about here since his FR year that I love is Clemson RB Travis Etienne, some of the best vision and explosion you will see at the RB position.

I'd also note that IMO... The top two CB's in college football next year will be non draft eligible CB's in
LSU CB Derek Stingley Jr
Florida CB Kaiir Elam
This was from a year ago - DC got a whole lot of this draft right - last year.
Stingley is the best FR CB I have ever seen. He could have literally made the jump from HS to NFL starter last year, IMO.. That is how good he is. I've never seen anything like him at CB... If he goes at the rate he is going he will be a Hall of Fame, lockdown, elite, one of the best CBs to ever play the game... Issue now is that he has so much pressure because of how good he was as a FR.

Elam is going to be elite as too.

Stingley is just in another world. If you haven't seen much of him, make sure you watch him this year... (Now watch him let me down) but he is insanely good.

Alabama's amazing WR core isn't going anywhere either.

Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith have speed for days and are strong candidates to hear their names called in Round 1. Another pretty good WR draft going into next year with Chase and Ross at the top as big, fast WR's.. Waddle and Smith speed guys.

Seth Williams a big WR at Auburn should be pretty well known after this season too. He makes some great catches and has a big athletic frame.

OT draft is pretty good.

I listed my top two in the top 10, but there is also Trey Smith of Tennessee, Jalen Mayfield of Michigan, Alex Leatherwood Alabama and Texas' Sam Cosimi.

Also should mention my love for Ohio State WR Chris Olave next year... If things go well WR won't even be a consideration for us, but I want to bring him up. Outstanding route runner, very smart, can stretch the field with route seperation. I liked him way better than any of the 3 Ohio State WR's in this years draft...

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like we were trying to love into the 20’s to draft Jaelen Phillips had he fallen. I’d be thrilled with him but also thrilled with Williams. Phillips, Chubb and Miller would have been nice.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like we were trying to love into the 20’s to draft Jaelen Phillips had he fallen. I’d be thrilled with him but also thrilled with Williams. Phillips, Chubb and Miller would have been nice.
I could be wrong - and often I am wrong, but I think the Broncos tried very hard to execute a QB faint in the draft - whereby others would trade up to them to the 9th spot to get a QB, but the league judged that the Broncos were not a threat to take a QB because they got Teddy Bridgewater in the trade.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Turner wanted Williams
Great endorsement for sure
MIA also was going to select Williams

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong - and often I am wrong, but I think the Broncos tried very hard to execute a QB faint in the draft - whereby others would trade up to them to the 9th spot to get a QB, but the league judged that the Broncos were not a threat to take a QB because they got Teddy Bridgewater in the trade.
From some things I read, it sounded like Chicago tried to start moving up with Denver.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random stuff when it comes to the draft.

I think something that could really make this draft special for us was our two trade downs in Round 3 picking up extra picks and still getting Quinn Meinrez and Baron Browing. I can't really see anyone between our 3rd and 4th that I would be happier with. Browning was a guy I had pegged for Denver in Round 3 and we got him at the end of Rd 3 while picking up Meinerz in the meantime which also net us 1 of the 2 S's (Can't remember which pick we picked up if it was Sterns or Johnson) but then it also allowed us to take a chance on one of the most talented but inconsistent WR's in the draft in Seth Williams. Seth Williams reminds me of a young Terrell Owens coming out. He doesn't have the best hands in the world as they are inconsistent but he uses his body about as well as any WR in this draft. I really think if Seth Williams and Sage Surratt stay in college they are day 1/2 picks next year.... Surratt had the opt out which really hurt him... Huge mistake there. One other WR I would say the same thing for is Texas WR Brennan Eagles. He really had no business declaring this year... Honestly, when Williams declared I figured he was a rd 2 or 3 pick even with the drops... Just so deep at WR this year... Surratt has the speed issue so while I didn't think he would go undrafted I did think he would fall to mid to late rounds due to opting out as well. Huge mistake by him. Huge mistake by Jamie Newman with all the developing he still needed to opt out. Newman was in a great situation at Wake Forest and he made a bad decision to transfer and opt out. Everyone has their own reasons though so whatever his was I won't judge but I just knew that was a huge mistake for him when he did it.

Watching the draft with my brother he was all excited about Waddle and Phillips in Round 1... All he could talk about is if Miami gets Williams in rd 2 how they are getting every player he has wanted when they were on the clock and blah blah... He asked me would anyone take Williams in front of Miami in Round 2? I told him it was possible the Jets (they ended up with Michael Carter) then one pick before Miami (funny moment, had to be there) he thinks he is going to get his guy until Denver jumps ahead of them... and then he instantly said to me.... OMG, the Broncos are going to steal him from the Dolphins.. Sure enough shiat got real then....

When Denver took Jamar Johnson I was coloring with my nephew as I watched the draft (he begged me and after 4.5 rounds I finally gave in) Johnson was announced and I threw the crayon up in the air... Suddenly in this little kids voice I heard a giggle and a "He got so excited he threw the crayon".... Had to be there but it was funny.

OC and LGM fell asleep after pick 28 this year.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random stuff when it comes to the draft.

I think something that could really make this draft special for us was our two trade downs in Round 3 picking up extra picks and still getting Quinn Meinrez and Baron Browing. I can't really see anyone between our 3rd and 4th that I would be happier with. Browning was a guy I had pegged for Denver in Round 3 and we got him at the end of Rd 3 while picking up Meinerz in the meantime which also net us 1 of the 2 S's (Can't remember which pick we picked up if it was Sterns or Johnson) but then it also allowed us to take a chance on one of the most talented but inconsistent WR's in the draft in Seth Williams. Seth Williams reminds me of a young Terrell Owens coming out. He doesn't have the best hands in the world as they are inconsistent but he uses his body about as well as any WR in this draft. I really think if Seth Williams and Sage Surratt stay in college they are day 1/2 picks next year.... Surratt had the opt out which really hurt him... Huge mistake there. One other WR I would say the same thing for is Texas WR Brennan Eagles. He really had no business declaring this year... Honestly, when Williams declared I figured he was a rd 2 or 3 pick even with the drops... Just so deep at WR this year... Surratt has the speed issue so while I didn't think he would go undrafted I did think he would fall to mid to late rounds due to opting out as well. Huge mistake by him. Huge mistake by Jamie Newman with all the developing he still needed to opt out. Newman was in a great situation at Wake Forest and he made a bad decision to transfer and opt out. Everyone has their own reasons though so whatever his was I won't judge but I just knew that was a huge mistake for him when he did it.

Watching the draft with my brother he was all excited about Waddle and Phillips in Round 1... All he could talk about is if Miami gets Williams in rd 2 how they are getting every player he has wanted when they were on the clock and blah blah... He asked me would anyone take Williams in front of Miami in Round 2? I told him it was possible the Jets (they ended up with Michael Carter) then one pick before Miami (funny moment, had to be there) he thinks he is going to get his guy until Denver jumps ahead of them... and then he instantly said to me.... OMG, the Broncos are going to steal him from the Dolphins.. Sure enough shiat got real then....

When Denver took Jamar Johnson I was coloring with my nephew as I watched the draft (he begged me and after 4.5 rounds I finally gave in) Johnson was announced and I threw the crayon up in the air... Suddenly in this little kids voice I heard a giggle and a "He got so excited he threw the crayon".... Had to be there but it was funny.

OC and LGM fell asleep after pick 28 this year.
False, and lies!

It was pick 20. But my face was skittle free!

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is DC writing for CBS? Dissing Sterns to throw is off the scent.

Denver Broncos: A
Best pick: It was first-round pick, Patrick Surtain II. He will be a star corner for a long time. He is so polished coming out of Alabama.

Worst pick: Fourth-round safety Caden Sterns came into Texas as a huge recruit, but didn't live up to the hype. He did have some injury issues. The talent is there, but can he get it show up more?

The skinny: I really like what the Broncos did. They landed the best corner in Surtain and then continued to load up on good players. Their later-round picks were impressive. I really like fifth-round safety Jamar Johnson.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best pick: It was first-round pick, Patrick Surtain II. He will be a star corner for a long time. He is so polished coming out of Alabama.

Worst pick: Fourth-round safety Caden Sterns came into Texas as a huge recruit, but didn't live up to the hype. He did have some injury issues. The talent is there, but can he get it show up more?

The skinny: I really like what the Broncos did. They landed the best corner in Surtain and then continued to load up on good players. Their later-round picks were impressive. I really like fifth-round safety Jamar Johnson.

Sterns is hardy the worst pick we made. He's not even the worst DB we took. That stumpy little cb we took in round 6 or 7 will be lucky to make ST and the PS. Of course, I'm a bit of a homer, and I loved Sterns after his FR season.

Sterns has a ton of upside if he can stay healthy, and I'd venture a guess that his tackling issues can be resolved by the ol' HC.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
False, and lies!

It was pick 20. But my face was skittle free!

I felt so alone in our group text when Travis Etienne was drafted.. I think all 3 of you were asleep by pick 25. ;)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is me!!!! I just did the Sterns part to piss LGM off. ;)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterns is hardy the worst pick we made. He's not even the worst DB we took. That stumpy little cb we took in round 6 or 7 will be lucky to make ST and the PS. Of course, I'm a bit of a homer, and I loved Sterns after his FR season.

Sterns has a ton of upside if he can stay healthy, and I'd venture a guess that his tackling issues can be resolved by the ol' HC.
Cade couldn't carry Kary Vincent's jock, but since he took the last 3 years off - Cade Sterns should be rested.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cade couldn't carry Kary Vincent's jock, but since he took the last 3 years off - Cade Sterns should be rested.

I know your point is that Sterns is a candy bone but remember... Sterns did play in 7 games this year and Vincent opted out with his draft stock very much having a lot to pay for... Never gonna second guess someone during the pandemic but he shouldn't have been satisfied with his draft stock because he was really sitting on that Rd 3 to Rd 7 guy. He had a lot to gain by coming back... Guy has some good tools to work with but he really lost out on some important developmental time for him. That being said... Round 7.. Yes please!!! Worth that pick every day!

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt so alone in our group text when Travis Etienne was drafted.. I think all 3 of you were asleep by pick 25. ;)
Wrong, The other two should be embarrassed that they fell asleep long before me.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know your point is that Sterns is a candy bone but remember... Sterns did play in 7 games this year and Vincent opted out with his draft stock very much having a lot to pay for... Never gonna second guess someone during the pandemic but he shouldn't have been satisfied with his draft stock because he was really sitting on that Rd 3 to Rd 7 guy. He had a lot to gain by coming back... Guy has some good tools to work with but he really lost out on some important developmental time for him. That being said... Round 7.. Yes please!!! Worth that pick every day!
Kary Vincent opted out due to a foot injury - so that he can train for the opportunity in the pro-game. So his reason for the opt out was a professional one. Cade Sterns Vs. Kary Vincent is a good case in point - the Longhorns recruited physical specimen stereotypes - and Kary Vincent is a football player.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong, The other two should be embarrassed that they fell asleep long before me.

This is true... George was awake for the entire first round.. Unless he drifted between commercials... But everyone left me to myself when the Jags took Travis Etienne. Gave me the silent treatment like Jaylen Waddle did to his family.