• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NFL Draft Discussion thread

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. The Lions seem to be high on Parsons according to reports but like any draft information. What is true and what is not? Do they want a team to try and jump them for him so they get the guy they really want? Only time will tell... But never trust draft buzz! Seems we have shown the most interest in Fields and Lance so far and not so much Mac Jones. It will be interesting and we still have like 22 days to go to hear all the rumors, anticipation is gonna be killing me.
As he repeats well worn QB draft buzz.... LOL

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also nice to see Elijah Moore get some first round buzz. A guy I have been talking about since last years draft was over. Not sure why people don't talk about this guy more. Yeah, he is smaller, but he is going to be one of best slot WR's in the NFL for many years. IMO.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear that guys??? If we don’t trade up we get Foles. We must trade up now

I would be surprised. Not that we get Foles. He would be a nice vet to push Lock if that is the worst we can do. But I think this is a draft you try to stay in the top 15 for.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also seems like Gregory Rousseau is falling a bit due to small sample size. He is one top prospects that taking the year off seems to have hurt the most. He really needed it to stamp his draft stock.

Jaelen Phillips has durability issues, but he really took advantage of this year and started to show his full potential. He seems to rightfully so be climbing.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My expectation - currently - is that the Broncos will trade for Teddy Bridgewater - something Paton has actually done in the past. Personally - I think drafting a QB by trading up is just plain stupid. So we shall see. There is certainly an element of "shiny object" when it comes to college QBs.

I don't think it is stupid, but it is very risky. You really need that QB to win in the NFL so you sometimes have to take that chance as it can plunge your franchise forward, but it is also very risky because of the cost. Look at SF... If they mess up their QB pick at #3 given what they gave up it is going to really hurt them.

The risk when taking a QB in the draft is very high, but also almost have to take that risk depending on your situation to move forward with your franchise. 9ers are in a little bit of a weird spot.. They have nearly everything but health and a consistent QB...

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is stupid, but it is very risky. You really need that QB to win in the NFL so you sometimes have to take that chance as it can plunge your franchise forward, but it is also very risky because of the cost. Look at SF... If they mess up their QB pick at #3 given what they gave up it is going to really hurt them.

The risk when taking a QB in the draft is very high, but also almost have to take that risk depending on your situation to move forward with your franchise. 9ers are in a little bit of a weird spot.. They have nearly everything but health and a consistent QB...
In this case it is stupid because - the Broncos haven't finished giving their last high draft pick a chance to succeed. So the next guy also gets a two year window - then draft again? Drafting a QB to sit behind Lock until Lock fails - just sets up Lock's inevitable failure - or, drafting a QB to take over from Lock - likely divides the team loyalties and puts additional pressure on the new drafted guy to perform. Or, maybe we just screw everyone up by declaring a competition and splitting QB reps for a 1 game preseason.

I do get it - that if the Broncos believe a certain guy has all the qualities they want - they should pick him. IMO - the only sure fire pick at QB in this draft is Lawrence, but if the Broncos believe that rare opportunity is there - draft away. In my mind - there is no doubt that each years crop of college boy QBs has a whole lot more bright shinny object to it -than real NFL talent.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One nickelback I really like in this years draft is

Ambry Thomas of Michigan.. Love his footwork and ability to cover in the slot.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. The Lions seem to be high on Parsons according to reports but like any draft information. What is true and what is not? Do they want a team to try and jump them for him so they get the guy they really want? Only time will tell... But never trust draft buzz! Seems we have shown the most interest in Fields and Lance so far and not so much Mac Jones. It will be interesting and we still have like 22 days to go to hear all the rumors, anticipation is gonna be killing me.
Please let Lil Shanny win and pick McCorkle

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jones is the target? Check.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems funny to think. The 9ers went from picking 2nd, to Super Bowl Runner up, to picking 3rd (trade).

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF whiffed on 2 first round picks out the gate and still made the Super Bowl within 2 years.

this year they were ravaged by injuries.

buffalo has been killing the first round picks
Baltimore always seems to find a starter in the first round despite drafting later

very curious to see how Paton runs his draft.

the only thing I don’t like about the Vikings is they did exactly what Elway did . Bring in vets hoping to catch fire and or draft a 1st round QB late.
We've lived that type of QB search since 2016. Its sucks . If you are in the top 10 and need a QB and like one move heaven and earth to get him.
Hope Paton does not like his Christain Ponder in this draft.

I thought Paton would have been better off with Stafford. I think the difference was Goff over Lock. If he wanted to swap first round picks then he's that was a feabile attempt. The draft picks to me wouldn't be an issue. See 2017 SF 49ers. They blew 2 right off the bat.

Stafford would have been here for 4-5 years and have this 2021 a playoff contender from jump with Plenty of time to compete and find the next QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this case it is stupid because - the Broncos haven't finished giving their last high draft pick a chance to succeed. So the next guy also gets a two year window - then draft again? Drafting a QB to sit behind Lock until Lock fails - just sets up Lock's inevitable failure - or, drafting a QB to take over from Lock - likely divides the team loyalties and puts additional pressure on the new drafted guy to perform. Or, maybe we just screw everyone up by declaring a competition and splitting QB reps for a 1 game preseason.

I do get it - that if the Broncos believe a certain guy has all the qualities they want - they should pick him. IMO - the only sure fire pick at QB in this draft is Lawrence, but if the Broncos believe that rare opportunity is there - draft away. In my mind - there is no doubt that each years crop of college boy QBs has a whole lot more bright shinny object to it -than real NFL talent.

My guess is that if you trade up for a QB in the 1st round this year then you are looking to move Lock. You don't want that divided locker room with two young QB's so see what you can get for Lock on the open market. Could maybe get a 3rd round pick or something in return from someone. I mean that is exactly what the Jets just did with Darnold. He was well liked by both coaches and players making it very difficult to then try and get them all on board with Wilson. So give everyone a clean slate and move forward.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised. Not that we get Foles. He would be a nice vet to push Lock if that is the worst we can do. But I think this is a draft you try to stay in the top 15 for.

From what I understand it might be a double trade down type situation. Trade down to say 15, check to see who is still available, and if there is no one really sticking out then make the final trade back with the Bears.

I do agree though I would rather not trade out of the top-15. Get yourself an extra midround pick in the 1st trade down and then just trade that for Foles straight up then take who you want at 15.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that if you trade up for a QB in the 1st round this year then you are looking to move Lock. You don't want that divided locker room with two young QB's so see what you can get for Lock on the open market. Could maybe get a 3rd round pick or something in return from someone. I mean that is exactly what the Jets just did with Darnold. He was well liked by both coaches and players making it very difficult to then try and get them all on board with Wilson. So give everyone a clean slate and move forward.
As a procedural matter - if what you surmise is the case - wouldn't moving lock first and early before the market is saturated with QBs new to multiple teams be the maximum value? While moving lock after everyone else has secured their QB in the market place - be stupid?

I agree - if the Broncos had decided that Lock wasn't the guy - then get rid of him early - and give the team to the next QB, but thinking you are going to get anything for Lock at this point is folly. Then on top of getting rid of lock - a rookie QB is a questionable match for the resources already put into this Broncos salary picture with veterans resigned. That is like drawing for an inside straight.

Keep an eye on Teddy Bridgewater - as the more likely QB push for Lock.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paton for whatever reason will not endorse Lock. He will first look at any breathing QB on the market and make a feeble trade offer.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paton for whatever reason will not endorse Lock. He will first look at any breathing QB on the market and make a feeble trade offer.
I think this whole dance about QBs to replace lock via the draft or by trade - is a big psychological game being played on Lock to buckle down and prove himself - his got one year left to do that. It solves two problems - 1) the fans get to feel all the options are being looked into and 2) Lock has to realize the ride is coming to an end if he doesn't succeed. In the current circumstances - this is the prudent course for the Broncos to do.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agree with this this. If we love up for a QB, Lock goes.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this whole dance about QBs to replace lock via the draft or by trade - is a big psychological game being played on Lock to buckle down and prove himself - his got one year left to do that. It solves two problems - 1) the fans get to feel all the options are being looked into and 2) Lock has to realize the ride is coming to an end if he doesn't succeed. In the current circumstances - this is the prudent course for the Broncos to do.

Actually think this is a valid point. Intended or not intended I think if anything the uncertainty of Lock’s future as a young QB will be a huge moment in his career on how he handles this and what he makes of it going forward.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going over to Juedy's house today. He lives across the street in Back Country. He's sprinting around his neighborhood with his helmet on.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a procedural matter - if what you surmise is the case - wouldn't moving lock first and early before the market is saturated with QBs new to multiple teams be the maximum value? While moving lock after everyone else has secured their QB in the market place - be stupid?

I agree - if the Broncos had decided that Lock wasn't the guy - then get rid of him early - and give the team to the next QB, but thinking you are going to get anything for Lock at this point is folly. Then on top of getting rid of lock - a rookie QB is a questionable match for the resources already put into this Broncos salary picture with veterans resigned. That is like drawing for an inside straight.

Keep an eye on Teddy Bridgewater - as the more likely QB push for Lock.

QB's especially young ones will always hold value. Sam Bradford got a 1st round pick late in the offseason even though he had been average at best in his career. Darnold, who played maybe worst than Lock, just got huge return.

You will always find a team willing to give something up for him. Let's say the Steelers miss out on all of their QB targets to replace Big Ben. They could trade a 3rd round pick and have Lock sit a year then see what he is the final year of his deal. The great thing with Lock is even if he doesn't play he is a quality back up and cheap. That is still worth something to NFL teams.

For me personally I don't think the Broncos are just trying to push Lock. People I've talked to say their love of a few of these QB's is real and if given the opportunity they will trade up. They have competition and Paton has shown he is not going to go crazy in any trade so we shall see. The nice thing for the Broncos is their competition all are teams pick 15 or later and most teams in the top-5 don't like the trade back that far.