• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA Draft Thread

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garza? His offensive footwork is phenomenal. Defensively he's completely average but he's lost 30 lbs so that'll help his quickness. . I think he's going to make a lot of experts look pretty silly personally. Dude is the hardest worker I've ever seen . He will get whatever done that he needs to

My guess is he's starting for Detroit by Dec if not earlier
Disagree. I think you’re just being a fan boy. I’ve watched him quite a bit. His offensive game doesn’t translate as well as you think to the league and as you pointed out his defense is going to impact minutes. With the way the league plays defense now they value guys who can guard multiple positions with switches. Garza can’t even guard his own position. He’s going to look like a clown when screens have him switch on to most 3s or 4s in the league. And as a 5 he’s going to be easy to involve in pick and roll defense. Dude would be better off going to Europe and being a big fish in those small ponds. He hangs around the NBA for 3 years and he’s out.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with pick of Mobley they don't need to but, sure, if someone makes an offer they think makes them better......
Right, they don't have to force anything, if someone makes a great offer then consider it. If defense becomes an ongoing issue then they might seek out a trade bc of that big salary Sexton could command next season but nothing is set in stone.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. I think you’re just being a fan boy. I’ve watched him quite a bit. His offensive game doesn’t translate as well as you think to the league and as you pointed out his defense is going to impact minutes. With the way the league plays defense now they value guys who can guard multiple positions with switches. Garza can’t even guard his own position. He’s going to look like a clown when screens have him switch on to most 3s or 4s in the league. And as a 5 he’s going to be easy to involve in pick and roll defense. Dude would be better off going to Europe and being a big fish in those small ponds. He hangs around the NBA for 3 years and he’s out.
Lol ok. I'm not being a fan boy. You don't drop 25+ ppg in the best conference in cbb abd score from every level with bad footwork man

But we will get to see in a few short months

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad comp . 12 and 8 type guy. I think Garza is better offensively than Niller was so I'd think more like 15 and 8 or so but a lot depends on how he's used . He's going to score wherever he ends up . His minutes will solely depend on his D.
Miller could post up and also step out and hit the trey.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think that Kuminga and Wiseman are getting traded next month and that there is a deal already in place. Warriors can’t afford to wait for them to develop.

We shall see.
It’s entirely possible. I think ideally the Warriors want to move the kids for more play now impact players but they’re also not going to just give them away.

The Warriors though this off-season retooled their coaching staff, which included a lot of development guys. This is a big change from the past where they were concentrated on front end hires. It seems like each of the guys they chose were for specific reasons:

Dejan Milojevic was hired and he was Nikola Jokic's coach in Serbia. He's credited with helping mold Jokic's game. It was said he was hired specifically to work with Wiseman which makes a ton of sense.

Kenny Atkinson helped develop guys like Dinwiddie and D'Lo. He should be able to help with Poole and Moody.

But the biggest development guy I think will be Jama Mahlelala. He was one of the key guys that helped develop the Raptors guys like Siakam, VanVleet and Boucher. If he can use that Siakam magic with Kuminga...

I think the Warriors, for now, are all-in on the development of the young guys. This could potentially all change in an instant if a big name requests a trade or if certain teams become sellers later on. But signs point to the Warriors holding on to these guys and hoping in 2-3 years they have the next wave to take over.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I understand why they say they it happens. It's also why teams miss so often I'm the NBA draft comped to other leagues. Drafting on projection instead of production is nearly impossible

No doubt there will be misses taken young, unproven talent.

But if you look back when they used to draft more based on performance, players like Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, etc. were very predictable busts.

There are always going to be a few Malcom Brogdon’s who get drafted late and become very good NBA players, but those guys are generally the exception to the rule.

I think if my team is bad and trying to rebuild, I would always rather see a swing and a miss on a high risk/high upside guy rather than drafting a low ceiling good role player like a Battier.

If my team is good, then I take Battier.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and the Kings were at the bottom of the league defensively last year.

Yeah. I doubt he will be a star, but perhaps a Marcus Smart type player with more playmaking ability?

What team couldn’t use that?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garza will be a Brad Miller type.

I think Brad Miller is a solid comp.

I also don’t think Brad Miller would have been nearly as effective playing today. Even 10 years ago everybody had centers and offenses weren’t entirely based on attacking the weak defender off pick and .roll.

Garza would have been drafted a lot higher 20 years ago and he probably would have need a solid player.

I doubt it plays out that way today.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Brad Miller is a solid comp.

I also don’t think Brad Miller would have been nearly as effective playing today. Even 10 years ago everybody had centers and offenses weren’t entirely based on attacking the weak defender off pick and .roll.

Garza would have been drafted a lot higher 20 years ago and he probably would have need a solid player.

I doubt it plays out that way today.
I think he's a backup who can put up 8-10ppg and 5-6rpg. Not a starter or anything.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garza? His offensive footwork is phenomenal. Defensively he's completely average but he's lost 30 lbs so that'll help his quickness. . I think he's going to make a lot of experts look pretty silly personally. Dude is the hardest worker I've ever seen . He will get whatever done that he needs to

My guess is he's starting for Detroit by Dec if not earlier

Wow. Highly doubtful.

As to your floor and ceiling projections, Kanter was a 3rd overall pick and Vucevic was a mid-first.

Garza does not compare to those guys athletically and that is why he wasn’t drafted until the end of the 2nd round.

If anybody thought he could move is feet and defend he would have been drafted a lot earlier because bigs who can shoot are highly valuable.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Highly doubtful.

As to your floor and ceiling projections, Kanter was a 3rd overall pick and Vucevic was a mid-first.

Garza does not compare to those guys athletically and that is why he wasn’t drafted until the end of the 2nd round.

If anybody thought he could move is feet and defend he would have been drafted a lot earlier because bigs who can shoot are highly valuable.
In fairness, lots of players go undrafted and have productive careers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's a backup who can put up 10ppg and 5-6rpg. Not a starter or anything.

Yeah, Kelly Olynck instant offense big type of player with a limited role.

His offense isn’t the problem.

So maybe he gets more run than that on a bad team? I don’t know.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Highly doubtful.

Brian Scalabrine?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, lots of players go undrafted and have productive careers.

Not many big men though. And most of those are late bloomers.

Garza was one of the most productive players in college basketball. Scouts know who he is and don’t think he is going to be a good NBA player.

Don’t think there is a ton of room for growth in his game either. He is pretty polished already.

Guards are a lot harder to project because there are just so many more of them out there. It is a lot easier to miss a diamond in the rough.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Scalabrine?

Could be Scalabrine.

I could also see Garza having a 12 year career playing a limited role like Scalabrine did.

There is value in just being a good locker/practice squad guy. Especially for a big man.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many big men though. And most of those are late bloomers.

Garza was one of the most productive players in college basketball. Scouts know who he is and don’t think he is going to be a good NBA player.

Don’t think there is a ton of room for growth in his game either. He is pretty polished already.

Guards are a lot harder to project because there are just so many more of them out there. It is a lot easier to miss a diamond in the rough.
We'll see.....I like Garza as a backup who can play a little PF, a little C.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Highly doubtful.

Sure. I get the skepticism. I'm just saying he will prove them wrong just as he always has. This dude works harder than any other guy in this draft ( and most drafts). He's 100% going to score . I'm not even remotely concerned there. So yes the defense is the deal and he will figure it out . Getting better on D is about the work not the talent. Lots of big dudes in history figure it out on D