• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Free agency and trade thread

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess that Mariota for Deshaun trade just wasn't that appealing for Houston :)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why the Raiders would keep Carr and Mariota. One would think Mariota could get more than $3.5 mil on the free market

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why the Raiders would keep Carr and Mariota. One would think Mariota could get more than $3.5 mil on the free market
I think LV has seen the value of having a good backup QB. Also, it looks like Vegas couldn't get the trade value they wanted, so they just got him to take a big paycut.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t like the numbers for Galladay or Jackson, but makes them better for sure. Gets me excited for next year
Giants dropping major coin. Holy crap. Not sure either guy worth close to that, but you are right makes them better for sure.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants dropping major coin. Holy crap. Not sure either guy worth close to that, but you are right makes them better for sure.
I too have to question the NYG signing Golladay at the number with no real protection for the future. Surely, they aren't expecting to lost him on 2021 and get a 2022 3rd rd comp? Maybe they're gambling that he'll fit in and hit his stride with Jones and they can tag him?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marriotta in NE with the new arsenal would have been an intriguing matchup this season

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont mind Golladay, a handful of teams bidding over the clear top WR stud in FA. Now Jackson is a different story, I get he is only 26 but in comparison Troy Hill, 29, is getting $4M/year and he was graded better every year. Slot CB though but still $13M/year is definitely an overpay for a guy that was just injured...like you said they have improved though

They overpaid Jackson. He never lived up to his draft status. He's always underwhelming and he's developing an injury bug too.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe I phrased that wrong. Mariota should fire his agent

I still don't understand people thinking that Mariota is a legit option as a possible starter or even a top backup.

He started 60 games.....and never was anything other than one of the worst starters in the league.

His numbers don't look horrendous at first blush.....but that was because the Titans hid him the whole time. That was the reason why they always had one of the worst passing offenses in terms of total numbers when he was there.

He reminds me so much of Colin Kaepernick. People still think he was blackballed because of his kneeling. No. Kaep was blackballed because he didnt have what it took to run a modern NFL offense. Just like that Mariota cant run a modern NFL offense. He holds the ball way too long and was consistently one of the top sacked QB's in the league DESPITE playing behind what everyone knew was one of the best OL's in the league. And its not like he has the stuff to push the ball down the field when he didnt get sacked. Takes him 3.5 seconds to read a defense and decide to throw the ball 3 yards down the field.

The Titans offense went from well below average to instantly top 8 just by making the switch to Tannehill. And Tannehill is no world beater. It is more of an illustration of how bad Mariota is despite having all the tools in place to be successful.

There is no scenario as a NFL GM where I would acquire Mariota. Especially at top backup QB pricing....let alone think about making him a starter. The Raiders contract with him was EASILY the worst handed out last year and only tapered slightly by the fact that at least they were able to get him to take less this offseason.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand people thinking that Mariota is a legit option as a possible starter or even a top backup.

He started 60 games.....and never was anything other than one of the worst starters in the league.

His numbers don't look horrendous at first blush.....but that was because the Titans hid him the whole time. That was the reason why they always had one of the worst passing offenses in terms of total numbers when he was there.

He reminds me so much of Colin Kaepernick. People still think he was blackballed because of his kneeling. No. Kaep was blackballed because he didnt have what it took to run a modern NFL offense. Just like that Mariota cant run a modern NFL offense. He holds the ball way too long and was consistently one of the top sacked QB's in the league DESPITE playing behind what everyone knew was one of the best OL's in the league. And its not like he has the stuff to push the ball down the field when he didnt get sacked. Takes him 3.5 seconds to read a defense and decide to throw the ball 3 yards down the field.

The Titans offense went from well below average to instantly top 8 just by making the switch to Tannehill. And Tannehill is no world beater. It is more of an illustration of how bad Mariota is despite having all the tools in place to be successful.

There is no scenario as a NFL GM where I would acquire Mariota. Especially at top backup QB pricing....let alone think about making him a starter. The Raiders contract with him was EASILY the worst handed out last year and only tapered slightly by the fact that at least they were able to get him to take less this offseason.

I do think there is an argument for guys like Mariota and Kaepernick to try and learn the game and get better. Mariota seems like someone who is sticking it out. He wasn't ready coming out of Oregon. Titans gave him a great OL and not a lot of weapons. He had a year where he threw a ton of INTs, became scared, and was pretty much done in Tennessee after that. He is also only 27, though. Tannehill was like 30 when he took over so it took him time to develop, too.

I think a big thing to keep in mind is how much better/healthier Derrick Henry has been lately. Henry has gotten better every single year of his carrer and thats something that has really defined the Titans. Its hard to separate Tannehill's success from Henry other than the fact that Tannehill hasn't been taking sacks. Tannehill's TD% of around 7.5% when he is QB of the Titans seems unsustainable. Then again, Tannehill just might be good. He wasn't good at 25, though, and neither was Mariota.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think there is an argument for guys like Mariota and Kaepernick to try and learn the game and get better. Mariota seems like someone who is sticking it out. He wasn't ready coming out of Oregon. Titans gave him a great OL and not a lot of weapons. He had a year where he threw a ton of INTs, became scared, and was pretty much done in Tennessee after that. He is also only 27, though. Tannehill was like 30 when he took over so it took him time to develop, too.

I think a big thing to keep in mind is how much better/healthier Derrick Henry has been lately. Henry has gotten better every single year of his carrer and thats something that has really defined the Titans. Its hard to separate Tannehill's success from Henry other than the fact that Tannehill hasn't been taking sacks. Tannehill's TD% of around 7.5% when he is QB of the Titans seems unsustainable. Then again, Tannehill just might be good. He wasn't good at 25, though, and neither was Mariota.

Chicken vs Egg argument here:

Henry's jump in success is due to him not having a QB who cant pass the ball handing him the football.

Henry for the first 9 games in 2019 was very pedestrian. He success didn't start the moment Tannehill took over. It was only after Tannehill threw for his 2nd 300 yard plus game and defenses started to play the Titans offense differently that Henry took off.

It took NFL defenses 4 games to adjust to the new Titans offense. And once they did, Henry EXPLODED. One of the best streaks in history now. Ran for 100+ a game in 17 of the 25 games since (including playoffs). During the 1st 9 weeks of 2019 when Mariota was starting more than half the games and then it took 4 weeks for the NFL to adjust and start respecting the Titans passing game after Tannehill took over, Henry ran for 100+ in a game just once.

17 in 25 games
After 1 in 9 games. (And 2 in 16 games the year before that).

If the Titans stick with Mariota, I highly doubt a lot changes with Henry's success (or lack thereof) and we aren't talking about him being a top 5 RB in the league right now.

The Titans almost instant offensive turnaround once they dumped Mariota is one of the most damning proof of a problem with a single player that I can think of in sports.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

White Back to Pat's. I would have bet good money that Tampa would have went hard after him.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TY Hilton back to the Colts on a 1 year 10M deal with $8 of it guaranteed.

Well at least my Vikings aren't going to win the worst contract given out in FA with the Peterson signing now.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TY Hilton back to the Colts on a 1 year 10M deal with $8 of it guaranteed.

Well at least my Vikings aren't going to win the worst contract given out in FA with the Peterson signing now.
That’s awful