• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Dynasty prospect thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's actually not with me :) I do think the class of 21 is largely hogwash :). Not void of talent by any means, but not much that will be meaningful in fantasy. Better real football players filling roles on teams than fantasy assets
IDK if I call the whole class hogwash, because some good QBs, Pitt at TE might become a FF asset, and I think there will be one or two WRs that become starter worthy in time. However the RBs have 2 RBs at tier one and maybe one at tier 2 ( however large gap between these tiers) and sure the usually collections of RBs that likely won't matter for FF*, with the * because there could be a unpolished gem in the class some where.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK if I call the whole class hogwash, because some good QBs, Pitt at TE might become a FF asset, and I think there will be one or two WRs that become starter worthy in time. However the RBs have 2 RBs at tier one and maybe one at tier 2 ( however large gap between these tiers) and sure the usually collections of RBs that likely won't matter for FF*, with the * because there could be a unpolished gem in the class some where.
Oh I'm speaking totally as to the RB's, I think WR is stacked, TE has a few goodies, and QB may very well be LOADED...maybe

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question
I heard 2021 is not as deep at RB. Comparing it to 2020 which was deeper at RB.
If both conditions are true, not many rookie RB made much of a dent last season, so why should i be more optimistic about the 21 draft class?

The 2020 class made a pretty big dent 6 in the top 24 in PPR

Taylor RB6
Robinson RB7
Gibson RB13
Swift RB17
Helaire RB20
Dobbins RB24

As far as this class goes I can give you my ranking/playstyle comps for the guys I've looked at so far

1. Najee Harris - I don't have a great comp for him, but a few of the film guys I watch think Steven Jackson. Personally I'd say a slower version of Gurley
2. Javonte Williams - Chris Carson
3. Travis Etienne - CJ Spiller
4. Jermar Jefferson - Jordan Howard
5. Kenneth Gainwell - Theo Riddick
6. Kylin Hill - Wayne Gallman
7. Rhamondre Stevenson - Gus Edwards
8. Michael Carter - Giovani Bernard
9. Chuba Hubbard - Bryce Love

Guys that are on my radar, but don't have a strong opinion about yet
Larry Rountree
Trey Serman
Javian Hawkins
Chris Evans
Khalil Herbert

The top 3 will go sooner than they should in rookie drafts both because of positional scarcity and the talent cliff after the top 3. Of course there's always a chance of finding a James Robinson in the rough though. Personally unless my team has a strong need at runningback or its a later pick i'll probably ignore the position and focus on the exceptional WR and above average QB/TE classes.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2020 class made a pretty big dent 6 in the top 24 in PPR

Taylor RB6
Robinson RB7
Gibson RB13
Swift RB17
Helaire RB20
Dobbins RB24

As far as this class goes I can give you my ranking/playstyle comps for the guys I've looked at so far

1. Najee Harris - I don't have a great comp for him, but a few of the film guys I watch think Steven Jackson. Personally I'd say a slower version of Gurley
2. Javonte Williams - Chris Carson
3. Travis Etienne - CJ Spiller
4. Jermar Jefferson - Jordan Howard
5. Kenneth Gainwell - Theo Riddick
6. Kylin Hill - Wayne Gallman
7. Rhamondre Stevenson - Gus Edwards
8. Michael Carter - Giovani Bernard
9. Chuba Hubbard - Bryce Love

Guys that are on my radar, but don't have a strong opinion about yet
Larry Rountree
Trey Serman
Javian Hawkins
Chris Evans
Khalil Herbert

The top 3 will go sooner than they should in rookie drafts both because of positional scarcity and the talent cliff after the top 3. Of course there's always a chance of finding a James Robinson in the rough though. Personally unless my team has a strong need at runningback or its a later pick i'll probably ignore the position and focus on the exceptional WR and above average QB/TE classes.

Well I think you are really selling Etienne short if you think he's comparable to CJ Spiller. Etienne has much better vision and breaks tackles a lot more often. Etienne is a lot more a power back than Spiller ever was. He also averaged 7.2 yards per carry to Spiller's 5.9 and even though Spiller was known for his pass catching, Etienne actually had a better pass catching Senior season than Spiller did (Etienne 48 catches 588 yards, Spiller 36 catches 503 yards). Not to mention Etienne had 78 touchdowns to Spiller's 43. Spiller was faster and had the return game too as he was deadly as a kick and punt returner. I think a good comparable for Etienne would be Aaron Jones. Both 5-10 or 5-11 and 205-210 pounds. They can both catch the ball effectively. Just my opinion though as somebody that watched both of them a lot being a Clemson fan.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think you are really selling Etienne short if you think he's comparable to CJ Spiller. Etienne has much better vision and breaks tackles a lot more often. Etienne is a lot more a power back than Spiller ever was. He also averaged 7.2 yards per carry to Spiller's 5.9 and even though Spiller was known for his pass catching, Etienne actually had a better pass catching Senior season than Spiller did (Etienne 48 catches 588 yards, Spiller 36 catches 503 yards). Not to mention Etienne had 78 touchdowns to Spiller's 43. Spiller was faster and had the return game too as he was deadly as a kick and punt returner. I think a good comparable for Etienne would be Aaron Jones. Both 5-10 or 5-11 and 205-210 pounds. They can both catch the ball effectively. Just my opinion though as somebody that watched both of them a lot being a Clemson fan.

At this point theres a lot more film on him from pre 2020 than after since most of the channels just started putting out their 2021 stuff. In the stuff i've seen he looked pretty lacking in the pass game. Dangerous with the ball in his hands, but bad hands and he looked lost when the pass wasn't a designed screen for him. Clemson has a great line so its hard to tell on his vision with all the huge holes, but he does take pretty good angles once he's past the LOS. His main weapons are his elite burst and homerun speed i'd guess it would be 4.3x, he also has good contact balance and he's very decisive as a runner. Once Dynasty nerds and Harris Football do there 2021 breakdowns for him i'm definitely give him a harder look.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point theres a lot more film on him from pre 2020 than after since most of the channels just started putting out their 2021 stuff. In the stuff i've seen he looked pretty lacking in the pass game. Dangerous with the ball in his hands, but bad hands and he looked lost when the pass wasn't a designed screen for him. Clemson has a great line so its hard to tell on his vision with all the huge holes, but he does take pretty good angles once he's past the LOS. His main weapons are his elite burst and homerun speed i'd guess it would be 4.3x, he also has good contact balance and he's very decisive as a runner. Once Dynasty nerds and Harris Football do there 2021 breakdowns for him i'm definitely give him a harder look.

Yeah that was definitely pre 2020 tape. LOL. This year the holes weren't nearly as big and the Clemson offensive line didn't play as well (but they did only have 1 returning starter so that was expected) so it was a lot harder sledding for him between the tackles and they focused more on outside runs because the offensive line just couldn't keep teams that had a good front 7 out of the backfield long enough for him to even have a chance. The main reason he came back though was to improve his pass catching skills and he got significantly better in that area. I just hope he doesn't end up on Buffalo. That is where running backs go to die.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he doesn't end up on Buffalo. That is where running backs go to die.

for a while there, it seemed like any RB who went to BUF was destined for fantasy greatness, when guys like Karlos Williams and Mike Gilleslee would ball out any time they were given a chance after Spiller/FJax left

but now, agree, we saw a couple good years at the end of Shady's career, but they haven't done much on the ground since. Singletary teased his rookie year, then kinda sucked last year. Moss never established a dominant role, but possibly could this year.

This is one spot where I agree with the talking heads, BUF will bring in a cheap vet RB on a one-year prove it deal, or draft a RB on day 2

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that was definitely pre 2020 tape. LOL. This year the holes weren't nearly as big and the Clemson offensive line didn't play as well (but they did only have 1 returning starter so that was expected) so it was a lot harder sledding for him between the tackles and they focused more on outside runs because the offensive line just couldn't keep teams that had a good front 7 out of the backfield long enough for him to even have a chance. The main reason he came back though was to improve his pass catching skills and he got significantly better in that area. I just hope he doesn't end up on Buffalo. That is where running backs go to die.
I haven't had a chance to really dive into non highlight reel footage on him...but...

I do get the CJ Spiller reference. Dude was a collegiate stud, and while there were detractors, there were plenty who thought him going in the top 10 was worth it. And to this day I feel he was misused, and could've had a much better career.

But to Bandits point, Etienne does have a little more "oompf", and seems to be more likely to succeed regardless, rather than being scheme dependant. But I still don't wanna see him in a landing spot like Seattle or Pitt...he may not suck, but dont think that's where he'd be able to shine

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a while there, it seemed like any RB who went to BUF was destined for fantasy greatness, when guys like Karlos Williams and Mike Gilleslee would ball out any time they were given a chance after Spiller/FJax left
but now, agree, we saw a couple good years at the end of Shady's career, but they haven't done much on the ground since. Singletary teased his rookie year, then kinda sucked last year. Moss never established a dominant role, but possibly could this year.
This is one spot where I agree with the talking heads, BUF will bring in a cheap vet RB on a one-year prove it deal, or draft a RB on day 2
IMO - As long as J. Allen avoids the injury bug, there just not much chance of any RB playing a big enough role to make them anything more than RB3/4. .....

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

brought in D-Free at the end of last year.

but I disagree big time. Motor and Moss are good for the team. Fantasy downs were not due to their inefficiency. It was the offensive mindset (that disappeared vs KC).

I am confident they are confident in both as a tandem.

Maybe this part is more hope—that we draft D line and LB early and often.

But RB? Only if one falls in our lap as Moss did last year...and Singletary the year before... even then, not worth having three, and neither deserve the bench.

Josh is like Cam at the goal line. TD will be tough...but they don’t draft for fantasy.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TKOSpikes - not saying the players are bad, just that in that offense with Allen, they are just RB3's at best. .... now if they go somewhere else, probably RB2's.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TKOSpikes - not saying the players are bad, just that in that offense with Allen, they are just RB3's at best. .... now if they go somewhere else, probably RB2's.

yup. Agree there. But that doesn’t mean they’re looking to draft/sign a new one.

also, Daboll is back (yeah!!), so offense will be a lot of the same, but the critique of last year would be rush attempts. Wouldn’t shock me if they went up... but your point remains, just the tandem alone is fantasy wrecking.

I’d like to see more of “taking turns” as opposed to the sectional divide like goal line and “closing” to Moss, and between the 20’s and hurry up for Singletary.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brought in D-Free at the end of last year.

but I disagree big time. Motor and Moss are good for the team. Fantasy downs were not due to their inefficiency. It was the offensive mindset (that disappeared vs KC).

I am confident they are confident in both as a tandem.

Maybe this part is more hope—that we draft D line and LB early and often.

But RB? Only if one falls in our lap as Moss did last year...and Singletary the year before... even then, not worth having three, and neither deserve the bench.

Josh is like Cam at the goal line. TD will be tough...but they don’t draft for fantasy.

I don't think anybody here would ever argue that their running backs aren't good for real life football, but none of the rest of us care about that, only about fantasy and they are terrible for fantasy purposes. For fantasy purposes - Buffalo running backs = Baltimore wide receivers

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody here would ever argue that their running backs aren't good for real life football, but none of the rest of us care about that, only about fantasy and they are terrible for fantasy purposes. For fantasy purposes - Buffalo running backs = Baltimore wide receivers
download (5).jpeg

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

which is why I responded to the point about the Bills NFL team adding a vet/rookie RB to upgrade.

I agree with the fantasy factor...
But glad to take them in the only league I don’t have them (D2), in case anyone is wondering.
;)

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Au contraire... the Karlos and Gillislie (repeat for 25 years) days were the ouch part. This is fun.

and you know I love my boy, Fred-Ex.

My other Bills friend was telling me after his mini breakout, Karlos sat around all offseason with his pregnant girlfriend getting fat and out of shape, then never was the same after.

Think I actually traded a 2nd rd pick for him at one point in D2, lol

You hear the same?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My other Bills friend was telling me after his mini breakout, Karlos sat around all offseason with his pregnant girlfriend getting fat and out of shape, then never was the same after.

Think I actually traded a 2nd rd pick for him at one point in D2, lol

You hear the same?

I did. That is what happened.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3