• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Offseason/Season... Draft, FA & Staff

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well its a bit harsh but he's not wrong for the most part. Going OT Jenkins, C Humphrey, and RB Sermon would have addressed the bigger issues plaguing this offense. That's why I think there is going to be a lot of pressure on Harris, Freiermuth & Green this year.

But also knocking them for not having the appearance of a plan for life after Ben is stupid. There was nobody within reach to them that would have improved their QB depth this year. Outside of trading up to 11 for Justin Fields which would have mortgaged their future during a rebuild... Who would have satisfied that "appearance" for Kiper? Trask? Mond? Mills? Book? Those were the only other QBs drafted after the 1st round... And debatably NONE of them are better than what they already have.

Exactly none are better than what is on the roster. Truthfully after the top few you can get just as good quality from the undrafted FA signing vs the few drafted in the 3rd 4th or 6th round.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly none are better than what is on the roster. Truthfully after the top few you can get just as good quality from the undrafted FA signing vs the few drafted in the 3rd 4th or 6th round.
It's just wasting another pick taking a flyer on a developmental QB.

The Steelers have wasted 3 premium picks recently trying to develop a QB.

2018 3rd Round, Mason Rudolph
2017 4th Round, Joshua Dobbs
2013 4th Round Landry Jones

None of the prospects that were available to the Steelers at any point in this draft are better prospects than any of those guys were, or still are.
Grabbing Haskins for free is just as good as drafting a Trask, Mond or Mills.

When it's actually time, they'll use a 1st round pick, possibly a trade up to get that guy.

And what would they have to show for it? Missing out on one of their two OL picks? Thank you very much, I'm good.

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just wasting another pick taking a flyer on a developmental QB.

The Steelers have wasted 3 premium picks recently trying to develop a QB.

2018 3rd Round, Mason Rudolph
2017 4th Round, Joshua Dobbs
2013 4th Round Landry Jones

None of the prospects that were available to the Steelers at any point in this draft are better prospects than any of those guys were.

When it's actually time, they'll use a 1st round pick, possibly a trade up to get that guy.

And what would they have to show for it? Missing out on one of their two OL picks? Thank you very much, I'm good.
Yeah seriously why would you waste a pick on the likes of Newman, Franks or Buechele. All would have been wasteful and then Mond, Mills, Book and Ehlinger really are really no different than having Rudolph on the roster. The OL choices were better picks.

We all know they weren't trading up to take Lawrence, Wilson and Lance that would have been stupid with Ben under contract. Finally Fields, Jones and Trask I don't see being any good anyway.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Mel think Ben was gonna be a bust?
He was quoted as stating either Manning, Rivers or Ben one of the three wouldn't make it.

Lets not forget the idiot was supposed to retire after guaranteeing Jimmy Clausen was going to be great. He wanted eight years to prove Clausen was going to be good and in reality it took 1 game to realize he was a bust.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers Declining 5th year Option on Terrell Edmunds.

So he's a FA next year. Either they want to move on or they think they can resign him cheaper than the $6.7MM for that option. His current cap hit for this year is about $3.4MM. So that is a significant jump.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So he's a FA next year. Either they want to move on or they think they can resign him cheaper than the $6.7MM for that option. His current cap hit for this year is about $3.4MM. So that is a significant jump.
Little known fact. Kevin Colbert was the inspiration behind Lee Child's Jack Reacher character. FYI.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not surprised. Did improve but as a 1st round pick he should have been better than ehh.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised. Did improve but as a 1st round pick he should have been better than ehh.

Yup, was never a fan, always in wrong place, took bad angles and looked like a pick due to Tomlin’s friendship with the family and his Va roots.....

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In possibly related news:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still baffles me how he was there in the 6th...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's a fantastic value right there.
He has excellent hand technique. Mainly because he has very strong & heavy hands. Reminds me of a prime Maurkice Pouncey that used to fire off his hands and try to cave-in dudes chests. He'll need to work on his pass rush moves though since he won't be able to bully people with his hands in the NFL. Only Cam Heyward can do that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These draft grade writeups that I'm seein everywhere are killin me...

I don't mind a bad grade &/or the writeups if they focus on the value, both in what he brings to the team's needs & where they found him vs what he was projected to go. Those articles have sound logic.

But when the draft grader assumes he knows more about the team needs & who they should have taken based on nothing but their own surface assumptions... Then no thanks. Unfortunately for us, this is what 90% of the draft grade articles do.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has excellent hand technique. Mainly because he has very strong & heavy hands. Reminds me of a prime Maurkice Pouncey that used to fire off his hands and try to cave-in dudes chests. He'll need to work on his pass rush moves though since he won't be able to bully people with his hands in the NFL. Only Cam Heyward can do that.
He's a beast. Fell because he isn't the twitchy athlete everyone wants. But even then, he fell way too far. I really like the kid.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These draft grade writeups that I'm seein everywhere are killin me...

I don't mind a bad grade &/or the writeups if they focus on the value, both in what he brings to the team's needs & where they found him vs what he was projected to go. Those articles have sound logic.

But when the draft grader assumes he knows more about the team needs & who they should have taken based on nothing but their own surface assumptions... Then no thanks. Unfortunately for us, this is what 90% of the draft grade articles do.
Right!

I really don't know how to grade this draft. I'm not sure how I feel about RB at 24. I'm more pro early-RB than most but that's always qualified with "if you're a good team picking later in the 1st and that's a piece to put you over the top". The Steelers seem to think this puts them over the top. I hope so. Because the rest of the world has already written them off.

Harris is going to be good. My only worries revolve around of OL holding him back. I think a lot of the success of this draft will hinge on their two OL picks in the 3rd and 4th. We need that center to win a job this year and that OT to push for a job late-season/next year. If that happens I'm more than happy.