• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Broncos Draft Class - Your Thoughts?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paton went chalk lot of the time. Jamar was chalk even though we had just drafted a S. I think the 2 third round picks as well. We know WIlliams must of had a 1st round grade. Excellent trade only giving up 1 fourth.

Would have trade dback up in the first if a certain player slipped into the mid 20s.

I see Collins, Davis and Philips all went before 22. My guess is Collins mainly because that's who I targeted in a trade back and the ILBer was a need.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What jumps out is the PS2, Jamar, Browning combination. Not hard to picture them all being good together.

It's a good draft but Bridgewater is a bridge QB...to no one?

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good draft but Bridgewater is a bridge QB...to no one?

Teddy is only here if Lock craps the bed again. Drew is still the “starter,” but having Bridgewater here makes things a bit easier should he continue to play like he did last year.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Copy&Paste

This is not a total rebuild in Denver under new GM George Paton. Vic Fangio is entering his third season as head coach and is coming off 7-9 and 5-11 seasons. He needs to win. Drew Lock, the quarterback selected by Paton’s predecessor, John Elway, in the 2019 second round, has started only 18 games. That was the context for Denver selecting Surtain, who some had as the draft’s top corner, instead of Justin Fields, Mac Jones or anyone else.

“How do you sell drafting one of those rookie quarterbacks who is not ready to play and then tell your third-year coach he isn’t going to have a high-end defensive starter at 9?” an exec said. “You are almost down two players if you do that. The GM can start fresh next year if it comes to that.”

It’s obvious Denver did not have Fields or Jones rated high enough to select them ninth, even though it’s also apparent to some on the outside that Lock isn’t the answer.

“They are building their team to stop Kansas City,” an exec said. “They went run game on offense, defend the pass on defense. And that is probably the best way they can win with limited quarterback play.”

The Broncos could have won the draft-night news conference by selecting a quarterback. Perhaps they would have found a great one. That was not the consensus.

“I like what Denver did,” another exec said. “You have maybe the best quarterback-playing division on your schedule for six games and you get as many good cover guys as you can, in the absence of being able to get a quarterback good enough to keep pace with Patrick Mahomes.”

Aaron Rodgers, anyone? One exec said he thought the Packers would be smart holding off on a Rodgers trade until next offseason, when Green Bay will know the draft order and there could be more suitors, some of them possessing multiple high picks in the 2022 draft.

“I would have wanted quarterback first, but if you are not going to do that, Surtain was the clear pick in that spot,” an exec said. “I liked their draft. The running back, (Javonte) Williams, is a good player. Getting (Baron) Browning at the bottom of the third was good. The (Jamar) Johnson kid they took from Indiana in the fifth is a good player with ball skills and cover ability. Overall, they liked Surtain better than the quarterback and they needed a corner.”

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"even though it’s also apparent to some on the outside that Lock isn’t the answer."

I don't think this is apparent at all. Lock had a stunted beginning last season with a new system and coordinator. So it doesn't surprise me he got off to a rough start. He still had a nice comeback against the Chargers, and finished the last 4 games with 7 TD to 2 INT. I think the bigger concern was the defense allowing nearly 28 PPG last season.