• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NFL Schedule Grid

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well thanks Better Than Average Joe

im getting used to this every year

you are the man

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I "borrowed" the grid above from the folks at Sharp Football Analysis.

However, I did make my annual Defensive Strength of Schedule (or DSOS).
Since the Fantasy Assembly site is R.I.P., I will post the chart here!

As a reminder, this is not your typical strength of schedule which is absurdly based on win-loss only.
The Defensive Strength of Schedule ranks each of these defensive stats from 2019 which may wreak havoc on an offense:
  • Yards Allowed
  • Points Allowed
  • Sacks
  • Turnovers (interceptions + fumble recoveries)
These 4 categories are rolled into one average defensive ranking.
Then that ranking is applied to each opponent on the new 2020 schedule.
As the chart shows, the team with the toughest defensive opponents are (tie) the Texans and Dolphins.
The teams with the easiest (or most porous) defenses are (another tie) the Steelers and Redskins.

2020 Defensive Strength of Schedule Chart.png

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I "borrowed" the grid above from the folks at Sharp Football Analysis.

However, I did make my annual Defensive Strength of Schedule (or DSOS).
Since the Fantasy Assembly site is R.I.P., I will post the chart here!

As a reminder, this is not your typical strength of schedule which is absurdly based on win-loss only.
The Defensive Strength of Schedule ranks each of these defensive stats from 2019 which may wreak havoc on an offense:
  • Yards Allowed
  • Points Allowed
  • Sacks
  • Turnovers (interceptions + fumble recoveries)
These 4 categories are rolled into one average defensive ranking.
Then that ranking is applied to each opponent on the new 2020 schedule.
As the chart shows, the team with the toughest defensive opponents are (tie) the Texans and Dolphins.
The teams with the easiest (or most porous) defenses are (another tie) the Steelers and Redskins.

have you ever done the flip side of this - see which Team Defenses will be going against the weakest offenses from last year?

trying my hand at it as we speak. might even overlay it with some analysis on which poor teams should be better in 2020 and which good teams might be worse (not sure I'll have time for all that, it is mother's day and all)

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you ever done the flip side of this - see which Team Defenses will be going against the weakest offenses from last year?

trying my hand at it as we speak. might even overlay it with some analysis on which poor teams should be better in 2020 and which good teams might be worse
Good question. And YES, I did look into that a couple years back.

For me, it got too complicated. I mean, the data itself was fairly direct. But then trying to figure who would benefit most was what got complicated. In a porous defense, does an offense run more? Do they pass more? Which players would benefit? The data seemed to produce more questions than answers as I saw it.

Let me just add too, that matchups were not all they were cracked up to be. There were plenty of post-game comments on this board of owners who agonized over certain matchups prior to, only to have the player make them look like fools. Terrible matchups resulted in a surprising fantasy bonanza, while juicy matchups produced zip.

I'm sure the same argument can be made about the defensive strength chart. But it's only an aid to give a glimpse of possible season-long difficulty. Ironically, in 2019, KC had the toughest defensive schedule. Yet they won it all.

That said, the majority of last year's playoff teams still came from the bottom half of the 2019 chart.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how last year's offenses ranked, using the measures of Total Yds, Total Pts, Sacks Given Up, and Turnovers given up. I ranked each team 1-32 for the 4 measures then averaged them out, with the lowest Avg being the "Best" team offense from last year in turns of being stingy vs Team DST for fantasy

upload_2020-5-10_12-56-46.png

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not any shocking revelations here - Jets/Fins/Bungles/Skins/Panthers/Steelers were all teams that people were targeting if they were streaming DST last season.

But I see what you mean when it comes to making any inferences out of this data, @averagejoe

debating now whether or not i'm going to overlay 2020 schedule into this and get each team's SOS, might as well though since I already did the leg work

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe - what method do you use to apply 2020 schedule?

did you take the Total Avg of all of a team's opponents to get their score for this season?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe - what method do you use to apply 2020 schedule?

did you take the Total Avg of all of a team's opponents to get their score for this season?
Yes, I take the average.
I paste the NFL schedule grid into an Excel workbook.
Then I do a find/replace to remove the "@" symbol.
Paste the data you created below the schedule grid. Then create a VLOOKUP formula for each week and and each opponent in the schedule.
Once youve done that, you can use the AVERAGE function to give each team its degree of difficulty.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be able to do it later tonight since i can use your data and already have most of the functionality in my Excel documents.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so I took the avg Offensive rank of each team's opponents for 2020 to get a Team DST SOS, based on last year's offensive stats.

The higher the SOS ranking means that the avg opponent for that team didn't score a lot of pts or accumulate a lot of yards + gave up a lot of sacks and turnovers

upload_2020-5-10_14-6-59.png

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad I have the Ravens D in my other dynasty league.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another chart. Measures the strengths of the Offensive LINE.

Adds up the sacks, hurries and QB hits.

upload_2020-5-13_6-39-35.png

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody else wonder if there will even be a 2020 NFL season?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody else wonder if there will even be a 2020 NFL season?

owners are too greedy, I think they'll play with no fans before cancelling the full season.

they actually play soccer in europe without fans at the highest levels due to various reasons. Most likely it is the result of fans being banned from stadiums due to fighting or shouting racist slurs at players repeatedly