• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Draft

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well start this. I’m not sure this was the right move but I don’t get paid the big bucks to make those decisions. To me, I’m still scratching my head on picking a QB when, in my eyes, there were more pressing needs to help get this team over the hump. Time will tell if it was the right choice but I have major doubt right now.

this just in....with the 62nd pick GB gets a RB? Maybe us fans have it all wrong on the needs of the Green Bay Packers. :noidea: Maybe the next pick will be a kicker....:L

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally have felt that #12 has been sliding and not the QB that he was and injuries have slowed him quite a bit in the last 3 years or so.

I am guessing the GM and coaching staff have more faith in the people brought in to replace Martinez and that the receivers like Lazard and Kumroe and maybe if St Brown is healthy will maybe be able to get the job done.

I do not mind taking a QB now and redo the Favre to Rodgers strategy letting him learn and not having to draft a guy and start him right away a few years down the road. If this QB works out the timing will be perfect as in 4 years the Pack can cut Rodgers and have like $2 to $3 million in dead cap space and free up $30,000,000 in money for other needs with a good young QB.

He had a great Sophomore season and then last year he lost 9 starters so the talent around him was not as good but maybe more importantly would be that he had a new head coach and coordinator his Junior season. That coach he had in his last season at Utah State was that moron Gary Andersen that coached the Badgers years back so that did not help him at all in his last year.

32TDs and 6 int his sophomore year is not to bad

Passing

Passing
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Utah State MWC FR QB 12 129 235 54.9 1631 6.9 6.5 8 6 119.3
*2018 Utah State MWC SO QB 13 267 417 64.0 3567 8.6 9.4 32 6 158.3
*2019 Utah State MWC JR QB 13 293 473 61.9 3402 7.2 6.4 20 17 129.1
Career Utah State 689 1125 61.2 8600 7.6 7.6 60 29 137

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally have felt that #12 has been sliding and not the QB that he was and injuries have slowed him quite a bit in the last 3 years or so.

I am guessing the GM and coaching staff have more faith in the people brought in to replace Martinez and that the receivers like Lazard and Kumroe and maybe if St Brown is healthy will maybe be able to get the job done.

I do not mind taking a QB now and redo the Favre to Rodgers strategy letting him learn and not having to draft a guy and start him right away a few years down the road. If this QB works out the timing will be perfect as in 4 years the Pack can cut Rodgers and have like $2 to $3 million in dead cap space and free up $30,000,000 in money for other needs with a good young QB.

He had a great Sophomore season and then last year he lost 9 starters so the talent around him was not as good but maybe more importantly would be that he had a new head coach and coordinator his Junior season. That coach he had in his last season at Utah State was that moron Gary Andersen that coached the Badgers years back so that did not help him at all in his last year.

32TDs and 6 int his sophomore year is not to bad

Passing

Passing
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Utah State MWC FR QB 12 129 235 54.9 1631 6.9 6.5 8 6 119.3
*2018 Utah State MWC SO QB 13 267 417 64.0 3567 8.6 9.4 32 6 158.3
*2019 Utah State MWC JR QB 13 293 473 61.9 3402 7.2 6.4 20 17 129.1
Career Utah State 689 1125 61.2 8600 7.6 7.6 60 29 137

But Aaron has said he wants to play another 3-4 years. IMO, that was a total waste of a pick. You want to help the team, get a WR, or get OL, LB help.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Aaron has said he wants to play another 3-4 years. IMO, that was a total waste of a pick. You want to help the team, get a WR, or get OL, LB help.

I guess the question when do you want to get his replacement? in 3 or 4 years and throw in a guy like Trubisky in the first year or half way into his first year or a guy who has had time to grow and be more ready like Rodgers did.

It was one pick with a total of 9 picks. HOw many times in the last 5 drafts has the Packers #1 pick come in and mad a big hug difference

If they feel this QB love is the next Rodgers then Rodgers can still play as you said 3 -4 year that does not have to change but then when he is done and his contract is over the Packers are ready and do not have a $30 million QB salary.

Their are 2 train of thoughts going on in Packerland right now. One is go get a few guys we think we need as linebacker and receiver that will put them over the edge for the last few years of Rodgers career and worry about Rodgers replacement later. Then when that later comes what if there is no QB that they feel can replace Rodgers and they keep trying different ones with no success. The QB is the most important player on the team. The Packers could go back to the playing level of the pre Favre era of the 70s and 80s and have tried as many QBs as the Bears

The other train of thought is that the Packer management is responsible for keeping the Packers competitive at all times. They must have seen something in this kid where they thought he has the talent to be great in 3 or 4 years.

They gave up getting a top linebacker or receiver. My guess is they thought with the next 8 picks that they have that they will be able to improve the team in the places that need it. They must feel the linebacker and O lineman they picked up along with another year of experience from Oren Burks along with Lazard and Kumrow will help the team as well. The Pack has had success picking in later rounds.

Just have to see how things look when it is all over.

My train of thought is I did not mind the QB in the first round. I have felt Rodgers has not played as good, he has been missing passes and has not stayed as healthy as he had been in his early days. Then have trust in management to get the team ready to compete for the championship while now hopefully having a solid plan for QB for a long time into the future

But that is just me

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers are transitioning to a power running game so the drafting of a RB and HB makes sense. Love will be a bench warmer learning behind Rodgers for the next three seasons.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other train of thought is that the Packer management is responsible for keeping the Packers competitive at all times. They must have seen something in this kid where they thought he has the talent to be great in 3 or 4 years.

I get they are looking ahead but if you’re doing that all the time then the now gets neglected. I guess my concern is playmakers. There are usually diamonds in the ruff and if GB’s talent evaluators have a knack for it then picking need positions later in the draft isn’t as big of a deal. They have had some hits but they have had a bunch of misses so my trust in them isn’t very high. To me, the whole point of drafting and free agency is to find the playmakers that will help the team win the Super Bowl. This team is in need of a playmaking WO, TE, ILB and OL. They have addressed the TE and LB position so far but late in the draft. Nobody knows if they will pan out same as if they picked these positions early in the draft but I would rather take a chance on someone early than late.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to know the thought process GB went through with not addressing the run defense in the draft. Unless they know something the rest of the NFL doesn’t know, I don’t think an injury prone free agent and LBer from Minnesota will be the fix they need stopping the run.

I guess they forgot all about having trouble keeping teams from gouging them for chunks of yards on the ground. Or how The 9ers made the fewest pass attempts in a NFCCG ever.

From what I see.....nothing will change in the run defense this season. Then again what do I know. I’m just a fan.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty upset when the Packers drafted Rodgers back when. Definitely had the deja vu when they traded up this year. It was even worse watching so many good players get picked between the 3rd and 5th rounds. I can't believe they waited until the 6th round to get 300 lb guys. And like Mack said, they didn't do anything to improve the run defense.

But I hope I'm proven wrong again like I was when they picked Rodgers.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three Reasons the Packers Did Not Need to Draft a Wide Receiver

https://othwisconsin.com/three-reas...LWBuJYtTqmPYqK4jOOupT-JB5LmQKQfizmpetbjMVpIaY

The Way the Draft Board Fell

According to Brian Gutenkunst, the Packers had too low of a pick to get a worthwhile wide receiver in the early rounds. As the draft went on, the only receivers left by the time the Packers selected were not worth the pick at that stage in the draft. Instead, the Packers selected players that they felt would make more of an immediate impact on their team. Some of these players may sit on the bench for a while, but have a better upside (at least for the Packers) than any of the receivers that they could have taken.

The Packers Have a Plethora of Receivers

The belief among fans is that the Packers do not have a true second option at wide receiver behind Davante Adams. While it is true that the young core of receivers had their struggles last season, the key here is that they are young. Adding another young receiver to that core is not going to help the experience factor.

Another thing to consider is that rookie wide receiver rarely have the kind of impact Packers’ fans might expect from a second option. Take Adams for example. In his first two seasons, he had a combined 929 yards and 4 touchdowns. His receiving production during those first two years are VERY similar to the production of Allen Lazard last season.

Adams did not make a huge impact on offense until his third season. Lazard and Kumerow will both be entering their third seasons this year, and with one year of experience in LaFleur’s system, a jump in production is not out of the question

This Isn’t a Pass-First Offense Anymore

The Mike McCarthy Era in Green Bay is over. Before the emergence of Aaron Jones last season (by the way, it was third year, too), the Packers had not had a reliable running back since Eddie Lacy’s first two seasons. The Packers no longer have to live and die on the arm of Aaron Rodgers.

Aaron Rodgers, no doubt, is an all-time great quarterback. He still has some gas left in the tank, but at 36 years old, how can one really predict for certain how long he will be able to play? Drafting a young quarterback to learn under him for a few years is just a logical move.

Regardless of how much time Rodgers has left, the issue at hand is what is happening right now. Wide receivers will be able to get open a lot easier if the defense has to respect the run game. Aaron Jones is heading for a big contract at the end of this season, and drafting a durable, hard-nosed back to back him up is also a logical decision. In addition, their running styles are vastly different, making it possible to further keep defense off balance. This is turn, opens the door for the passing game.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three Reasons the Packers Did Not Need to Draft a Wide Receiver

https://othwisconsin.com/three-reas...LWBuJYtTqmPYqK4jOOupT-JB5LmQKQfizmpetbjMVpIaY

The Way the Draft Board Fell

According to Brian Gutenkunst, the Packers had too low of a pick to get a worthwhile wide receiver in the early rounds. As the draft went on, the only receivers left by the time the Packers selected were not worth the pick at that stage in the draft. Instead, the Packers selected players that they felt would make more of an immediate impact on their team. Some of these players may sit on the bench for a while, but have a better upside (at least for the Packers) than any of the receivers that they could have taken.

The Packers Have a Plethora of Receivers

The belief among fans is that the Packers do not have a true second option at wide receiver behind Davante Adams. While it is true that the young core of receivers had their struggles last season, the key here is that they are young. Adding another young receiver to that core is not going to help the experience factor.

Another thing to consider is that rookie wide receiver rarely have the kind of impact Packers’ fans might expect from a second option. Take Adams for example. In his first two seasons, he had a combined 929 yards and 4 touchdowns. His receiving production during those first two years are VERY similar to the production of Allen Lazard last season.

Adams did not make a huge impact on offense until his third season. Lazard and Kumerow will both be entering their third seasons this year, and with one year of experience in LaFleur’s system, a jump in production is not out of the question

This Isn’t a Pass-First Offense Anymore

The Mike McCarthy Era in Green Bay is over. Before the emergence of Aaron Jones last season (by the way, it was third year, too), the Packers had not had a reliable running back since Eddie Lacy’s first two seasons. The Packers no longer have to live and die on the arm of Aaron Rodgers.

Aaron Rodgers, no doubt, is an all-time great quarterback. He still has some gas left in the tank, but at 36 years old, how can one really predict for certain how long he will be able to play? Drafting a young quarterback to learn under him for a few years is just a logical move.

Regardless of how much time Rodgers has left, the issue at hand is what is happening right now. Wide receivers will be able to get open a lot easier if the defense has to respect the run game. Aaron Jones is heading for a big contract at the end of this season, and drafting a durable, hard-nosed back to back him up is also a logical decision. In addition, their running styles are vastly different, making it possible to further keep defense off balance. This is turn, opens the door for the passing game.

Again, I’m just a fan and this is typical philosophy of GB. I even mostly agree with not picking a WO in the draft but how do they, in my eyes, totally neglect the run defense thru the draft or free agency? I’m not sold on either LBer pick ups are the answer but...? Maybe they come in and kill it...maybe they don’t.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a tools player and a project. I think they look at him and see Mahomes.

I don't know. NE needs a QB pretty badly and passed.

His tape is both beautiful and hard to watch, at different times.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a tools player and a project. I think they look at him and see Mahomes.

I don't know. NE needs a QB pretty badly and passed.

His tape is both beautiful and hard to watch, at different times.

Good thing is...he has time to fix any mechanic issues he is having. Bad thing is...if its mental...that might be a problem that wont get fixed. Time will tell.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing is...he has time to fix any mechanic issues he is having. Bad thing is...if its mental...that might be a problem that wont get fixed. Time will tell.

He definitely has time and Mahomes had mechanical issues coming out as well.

From what I read, it's semi on the mental side. Saying that a big problem of his is that he doesn't anticipate throws well. Might struggle to read defenses/coverages.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In a forward-looking piece on the franchise with NFL report Tyler Dunne, Siaosi Mariner, who was the Aggies’ top receiver in 2019, shared a little about what Packers fans can expect from a future with Love at the helm. Rather than a standard talk-up of his college quarterback, though, Mariner took a step further and put Love in the same league as one of the modern-day greats.

“You’re going to get the Patrick Mahomes,” Mariner said, via Go Long with Tyler Dunne. “But I don’t even want to discredit Jordan. He definitely is his own person. He’s Jordan Love. There’s just a different thing about him. He has that swagger about him. When he walks into the building, you just kind of know, ‘OK…’ He definitely passes the eyeball test. And then when you see him do it, it’s an ‘I told you so’ thing. He looks the part. He makes everything look effortless. Everything’s so smooth with him.”