• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020: Best Picture / Surprisingly Good

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious because of the shit year that was 2020, I can't think of too many good ones... to be perfectly honest, I haven't seen too many movies period. So how about this...

What movie do you think should be up for or win Best Picture and also name a movie that you liked that maybe didn't get a lot of advertisement/attention?

For me... not expecting this to be a Best Picture nominee, but again, I have not seen too many movies this year, but the best movie I can recall seeing this year would have to be The Gentleman. As for the other... again, not perfectly befitting of the category, but I would have to go with The Hunt.

What say you?

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious because of the shit year that was 2020, I can't think of too many good ones... to be perfectly honest, I haven't seen too many movies period. So how about this...

What movie do you think should be up for or win Best Picture and also name a movie that you liked that maybe didn't get a lot of advertisement/attention?

For me... not expecting this to be a Best Picture nominee, but again, I have not seen too many movies this year, but the best movie I can recall seeing this year would have to be The Gentleman. As for the other... again, not perfectly befitting of the category, but I would have to go with The Hunt.

What say you?
I have taken comfort over the last many years in knowing that any picture that wins the Best Picture Oscar will be a worthless piece of crap that I should automatically avoid lest I end up wishing I had those hours back. 2004 was the last good film with Lord of the Rings.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We watched quite a few movies last year. Here are a few that I enjoyed.

Palm Springs - Funny film. Andy Samberg and Cristin Milotti were both great.
Trial of the Chicago 7 - Good movie that will probably win several Oscars. Not sure it was that good though.
Mangrove - The first film in Steve McQueen's anthology Small Axe. Another court room drama about a trial in England I knew nothing about. The entire anthology was great but not popcorn fare
Mank - I enjoyed this film but it is definitely not a movie for people who aren't movie nerds who love the history of film.
Tenet - A controversial film as Chris Nolan goes full Nolan and makes a film that is not easy to follow but I loved it.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the Borat sequel, The Gentlemen, Mank, The Social Dilemma, Trial of the Chicago 7 and David Byrne's American Utopia.

None of them struck me as great. Definitely nowhere near last years winner, Parasite. But I enjoyed all except for The Gentlemen... I was pretty high when I watched that one.. perhaps I wasn't in the right mood.

I expected more from Mank & The Social Dilemma. The latter concerned a very important, compelling and timely topic, but there was a lot of odd filler. Mank by Fincher with Oldman as the lead.. Idk, I just thought it would be better.

Trial of the Chicago 7 was basically made for TV movie quality, but I still enjoyed it. Probably because of the subject matter that occurred during my formative years and I recall a lot of it.

Borat .. I laughed a lot. Byrne's American Utopia.. I'm a fan but it was no Stop Making Sense. But those 2 are probably my favs of the ones I've seen.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some movies still are not out yet.

Judas and the Black Messiah is one of my most anticipated for awards season and its not out til February.

Little Things also looks great(although isnt in Awards predictions) with a stellar cast of Denzel, Malek and Leto.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some movies still are not out yet.

Judas and the Black Messiah is one of my most anticipated for awards season and its not out til February.

Little Things also looks great(although isnt in Awards predictions) with a stellar cast of Denzel, Malek and Leto.
Well those movies would be 2021 movies.

I am just talking about the movies that came out in 2020.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked Tenet. I’ve read if one watches it again at home, the nuances become less confusing. The theatre experience was chaotic.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think people need to at least watch The Social Dilemma even if I wouldn't call it great or anything.

Tenet is the most interesting thing of the year for me but I'll admit that I haven't seen that much. Imo this was a banner year for video games and 2019 was a banner year for movies.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they are part of the 2020 awards season.
Huh? Really?

I thought it went by release date. If it was released within the calendar year of 2020 then it would count. If not, then not.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Really?

I thought it went by release date. If it was released within the calendar year of 2020 then it would count. If not, then not.

So typically you are correct. Movies have to have at least a limited release in December before going wide in January to be eligible.

But with Rona the Awards got moved back to April 25th. So I think movies through like February are eligible this year. Which is why Judas and Black Messiah got a February release date.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So typically you are correct. Movies have to have at least a limited release in December before going wide in January to be eligible.

But with Rona the Awards got moved back to April 25th. So I think movies through like February are eligible this year. Which is why Judas and Black Messiah got a February release date.
Ah. I didn't know that.

Fair enough then.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why people are so high on Tenet. Maybe it is me and my expectations going in, I have also only seen it once (at home). I thought it was ok, but nowhere near great. Below is my initial review.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think people need to at least watch The Social Dilemma even if I wouldn't call it great or anything.

Agreed. It would be great if everyone was aware of just how much we're being manipulated.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why people are so high on Tenet. Maybe it is me and my expectations going in, I have also only seen it once (at home). I thought it was ok, but nowhere near great. Below is my initial review.

It was the most exciting (IMAX) theatre experience I ever had.