• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Seahawks draft discussion thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figure it might be better to consolidate everything here.

Not sure how I feel about the L.J. Collier pick. He profiles very similarly to Rasheem Green in the sense that both are bigger edge rushers who play the run well, have the ability to slide inside on passing downs, but both require development.

I'm happy with the results of trading down. We really added a lot of value and a lot more picks.

Here is where we stand going into day two:

1 (29): L.J. Collier, DE
2 (5):
3 (28):
4 (12):
4 (16):
4 (22):
4 (30):
5 (4):
5 (21):

Some pretty interesting prospects still remaining for the Seahawks.

Where does everyone think we go from here? I'm hesitant to speculate because the last time I correctly guessed a Seahawk pick was probably Russell Okung back in 2019. Although with the Seahawks unlikely to exercise Germain Ifedi's 5th year option, Duane Brown being 34 in August and Fluker/Iupati being temporary solutions, it could be prudent to perhaps take a look at the offensive line here if they don't continue trading down.

Some good DBs and WRs still available as well.

I think the greatest part of the draft being a Seahawks fan is that none of us have the slightest clue what the hell they're going to do aside from trading down.

Hopefully some of my thoughts will pour some gasoline on the debate.

Go Hawks!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He not only reminds me of Bennett but also Terrell Suggs... High energy motor with toughness...

Love his mindset
Scott Wright: You had a terrific week at the Senior Bowl and opened a lot of eyes. What was your mindset when you arrived in Mobile and what specifically were you trying to show evaluators?

L.J. Collier: Pretty much nobody was talking about me and I wanted to prove that I’m the best. That’s all I really wanted to prove. All these guys that got all the hype behind them, I’m just as good as they are if not better.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those saying that we took him a round too early is a bit deceiving... Kiper and McShay had him going 37th overall - 8 picks after we selected him... 5th pick in the 2nd round... It's not like we took him 30-35 picks too early...

upload_2019-4-26_14-28-12.png

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He not only reminds me of Bennett but also Terrell Suggs... High energy motor with toughness...

Love his mindset

Hope you're right.

Issue is that he projects more as a strong side defensive end who can plug the gaps and stop the run. I definitely see the Bennett comparison, but Bennett has some things that Collier doesn't in terms of quickness. From everything I've read it doesn't seem that TCU used him particularly well or dedicated him to just one assignment, which could be a good thing for the Seahawks.

He's a guy who carries some bad weight for his size, with the right coaching and physical development he has a lot of room to improve. If he cut down a bit and replaced the fat with muscle, he could improve his strength and perhaps get a bit quicker at a slightly lower weight.

I'm somewhat confused by the pick in the regard that he has a similar skill set to Rasheem Green as I mentioned in the original post. Both Green and Collier are guys who are good fits at strong side DE in our scheme who slide inside on passing downs. Maybe they lack confidence in Rasheem Green or that's what they're looking for in DEs.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop in camp.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those saying that we took him a round too early is a bit deceiving... Kiper and McShay had him going 37th overall - 8 picks after we selected him... 5th pick in the 2nd round... It's not like we took him 30-35 picks too early...

View attachment 203554

My thoughts were that he was a mid to late second round pick. It doesn't surprise me because the Seahawks have never been shy about reaching a bit for a prospect they really like who they don't think would be there a bit later.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made it clear who I want. On the ferry to Vancouver now. I'll try and follow as much as I can.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp this is a very typical draft from the seahawks you wait until they are on the clock then they trade back then eventually draft a player you never heard of then say it was a bad pick then come the preseason and see this guy play you can see exactly why they drafted him.

People compare him to Michael Bennett I think he is a little undersized being that Bennett was 300+ pounds and was super quick for his weight. I will just leave it to JS and Pete I was kinda excited to see if they would draft greedy Williams. I hope its just not DK Metcalf

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how Collier works out but if we know one thing for sure, Pete knows defense and gets the best out of young players. If the kid is that high energy guy and also solid in the run game, I think it will be worth it. I definitely like that make-up from a rookie over having to pay Clark. I think the team made a smart move.
I'm definitely hoping they build some Oline depth and can only hope the Jets or some other shit franchise gives the team more extra picks. I like what Schneider is doing

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how Collier works out but if we know one thing for sure, Pete knows defense and gets the best out of young players. If the kid is that high energy guy and also solid in the run game, I think it will be worth it. I definitely like that make-up from a rookie over having to pay Clark. I think the team made a smart move.
I'm definitely hoping they build some Oline depth and can only hope the Jets or some other shit franchise gives the team more extra picks. I like what Schneider is doing

The team may still have plans for an edge rusher too... Not likely but they could plug Collier in the gap next to Reed...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp this is a very typical draft from the seahawks you wait until they are on the clock then they trade back then eventually draft a player you never heard of then say it was a bad pick then come the preseason and see this guy play you can see exactly why they drafted him.

People compare him to Michael Bennett I think he is a little undersized being that Bennett was 300+ pounds and was super quick for his weight. I will just leave it to JS and Pete I was kinda excited to see if they would draft greedy Williams. I hope its just not DK Metcalf

I have to disagree.

First I hate to be that asshole, but Michael Bennett has never been listed above 280lbs. To my knowledge he has played in the 270s his entire career at 6'4.

I'm uncertain about Collier and I think he has potential, but the Seahawks haven't really had many hits with their first selection in recent years. I'm not including the 2018 draft because I'm biased and loved Penny before the draft and had no issue with us reaching for him and the verdict on that selection still remains to be seen.

2017: Malik McDowell: Bust. Can't blame them for this one so I didn't really want to mention this, but it is what it is.
2016: Germain Ifedi: Bust. He was a reach and has been awful. I'd be thrilled if the Seahawks drafted a replacement or started George Fant at RT instead.
2015: Frank Clark: That worked out and I wouldn't necessarily call him a reach. From what I remember was that he was a first round talent with character concerns because of his felony home invasion and domestic violence charges.
2014: Paul Richardson: Tough to tell on this because he suffered a lot of injuries and was productive enough in his lone-healthy year that he received a big contract from the Redskins.
2013: Christine Michael: Bust.
2012: Bruce Irvin: He was a reach but he ended up working out. I don't think we traded down here.
2011: James Carpenter: Bust. I was shocked to realize he was still in the NFL. He was a reach when we took him and was awful in pass protection and above average in run blocking for what it's worth.

More times than not, we've performed poorly in the first round.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and this is not a reason to criticize the selection of Collier, but you're wrong about people criticizing a first selection and being wrong. Irvin was really the only one you can say that about.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was about to say Bennett has never been anywhere near to a 300 #er.
I also agree the first round is a weird one for the team. They always seem to find something in the 2nd, 3rd etc though. Maybe it's the pressure of making that perfect choice in the first when you never draft high. I don't know.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't trust Tedric Thompson and think at some point today we need to draft a Safety to play beside McDougal

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will shit a brick if we trade down again

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we get an extra 3rd to move back 10 spots? Easy decision.

Reactions: JMR