• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rookie draft

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right n can go back to baseball, but can’t do baseball and go back to football
I think "just picking it back up" after a 2-4 year hiatus is vastly underestimating what it takes to get back to the Majors, especially if he's sustained any major injury from football in the mean time. Could he get back in at A ball level, yeah most likely, but now he's mid to late twenties, in low level minors, veiwef more as a PR stunt than a serious ball player (Tim Tebow says hello).

I just really feel his declaration for the draft us purely a negotiating tactic to improve his negotiations with the A's

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I have been on a kid's train from day one of this season assuming he would leave school early now everyone is on him. Josh Jacobs is a damn beast.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right n can go back to baseball, but can’t do baseball and go back to football

Yep.

He would be foolish to choose baseball now. He will be first or 2nd QB off the board. Baseball salaries are strongly controlled up through the first 5-6 years of MLB service. It would take Murray at least 8 years to make anything close to what he will get through his rookie deal in football. And if he is good enough to get a 2nd contract, it will be $25 million plus.

If not, like you said. Baseball awaits.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

He would be foolish to choose baseball now. He will be first or 2nd QB off the board. Baseball salaries are strongly controlled up through the first 5-6 years of MLB service. It would take Murray at least 8 years to make anything close to what he will get through his rookie deal in football. And if he is good enough to get a 2nd contract, it will be $25 million plus.

If not, like you said. Baseball awaits.
thats kinda my thoughts. even if he tanks in football, he can go back to baseball. But if he likes football, and has a chance to succeed, regardless of what we think he will do, you take it.

Football you go right into the big show. Baseball a ton of first second third round picks never do a thing, or dont see the big leagues for years on end. Until he made it to the big show, and got a new deal, hes pay is pennies.

Take the shot, bet on yourself.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shocked at the lackadaisical idea of the skill it takes to be a pro baseball player.. Shocked.

Even with my disdain for hockey, if never be so brazen as to suggest that a hockey player could take 2-4 years away and just pick it back up no big deal.

Meh, just pick it back up...sorry but seriously smh

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shocked at the lackadaisical idea of the skill it takes to be a pro baseball player.. Shocked.

Even with my disdain for hockey, if never be so brazen as to suggest that a hockey player could take 2-4 years away and just pick it back up no big deal.

Meh, just pick it back up...sorry but seriously smh

Not at all what anyone is doing.

But your Tebow comparison is an awful one. Tebow never played baseball in college and he took 11 years off. Tebow should really be compared more to Michael Jordan's baseball attempt.

MURRay was an elite baseball prospect, but also lacks polish. Taking 4 years off to pursue football would absolutely hurt his chances to make the majors. But it also wouldn't terminate them. Where choosing baseball today would essentially end any chance he has to have an NFL career. Because the learning curve for QBs is a lot steeper than any position on the baseball diamond.

Also, Murray is not a lock to ever make it to the majors as a baseball player. If he busts there, he gets his $5 million signing bonus + the relative chump change a minors contract is worth.

Murray is looking at 4 years 25 million with about 16 guaranteed if he chooses football. And the QB payday if he makes it to year 5 is worth more than annually than any baseball player is likely to make (aside from the superstars).

Even if Murray is good enough and makes the show pretty quickly, the first few years of MLB service would be far less than even a rookie NFL deal.

The ONLY way Murray chooses baseball is if he likes baseball more than football or if he is worried about concussion/injury. Since he postponed his baseball career for 1 unpaid season at Oklahoma, I highly doubt either is the case.

Murray is playing football.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, @TREFF

If Murray wants to keep his baseball options open he can always attend spring training during football offseason, like he did last year. That way he can at least maintain his current skills.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting debate on Murray baseball vs football. I kind of agree with Treff that he has to make a choice - but in a different prospective. Baseball is slowing becoming more a Latin sport than U.S. In many of those countries they train 'prospects' specifically for the sport at a very early age with professional level instruction. A good friend of mine has a son who was drafted coming out of college as a pitcher. He knocked around in the minor system for several years then was cut this past yr. He had to go through tryouts every yr and the final couple of yrs he said there were no less than 100 young Spanish speak gents in the 18-21 age bracket - he was slowly being pegged as too old at 25. I'm not speaking from any personal knowledge just what I've been told since I don't follow baseball that closely anymore.

But when I look at rosters, gotta say; there aren't many Smith or Jones's listed anymore. ....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting debate on Murray baseball vs football. I kind of agree with Treff that he has to make a choice - but in a different prospective. Baseball is slowing becoming more a Latin sport than U.S. In many of those countries they train 'prospects' specifically for the sport at a very early age with professional level instruction. A good friend of mine has a son who was drafted coming out of college as a pitcher. He knocked around in the minor system for several years then was cut this past yr. He had to go through tryouts every yr and the final couple of yrs he said there were no less than 100 young Spanish speak gents in the 18-21 age bracket - he was slowly being pegged as too old at 25. I'm not speaking from any personal knowledge just what I've been told since I don't follow baseball that closely anymore.

But when I look at rosters, gotta say; there aren't many Smith or Jones's listed anymore. ....

I am not saying he doesn't need to make a choice. He does.

Football is just far more likely to pay off for him. And there is at least some chance he can start a baseball career later.

Because unlike your friend's son, Murray has the brand name and fan appeal that will afford him a much longer leash at every level.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I'm bowing outta this debate cuz frankly its becoming somewhat insulting to professional ball players, and de facto, to me personally, as a D2 athlete that was pretty f'n good but barely got a sniff at various tryouts.
Its no longer about Murray's specific circumstances, its about general lack of respect of what it takes to be paid to play baseball.

And yes, that's exactly what anyone assuming baseball will be waiting is doing. And if it wasn't so disrespectful, it'd be laughable

Peace out y'all

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I'm bowing outta this debate cuz frankly its becoming somewhat insulting to professional ball players, and de facto, to me personally, as a D2 athlete that was pretty f'n good but barely got a sniff at various tryouts.
Its no longer about Murray's specific circumstances, its about general lack of respect of what it takes to be paid to play baseball.

And yes, that's exactly what anyone assuming baseball will be waiting is doing. And if it wasn't so disrespectful, it'd be laughable

Peace out y'all

Except that that isn't the basis of my argument at all. Not even close.

But yeah, I give Murray a better chance of resuming a meaningful baseball career after football (maybe 10%) than the other way around. Because there is a 0% chance he can be an NFL QB after a failed baseball attempt.

I got a lot of respect for you, but damn man. You get personally offended hella easy sometimes. Nobody is taking shots at you or at the level of skill/time required to be a successful pro baseball player. I just happen to believe that Kyler Murray is the rare type of athlete that could play just about anything he wanted with the right training. He is a "better athlete" than 99% of pro athletes.

No guarantee he makes it big in either sport, but he also shouldn't be compared to the masses because frankly he has more talent.

And furthering my point, 66% of first round picks in baseball fail to ever reach the majors. If his odds of excelling in each sport are comparable, football provides more money sooner. And if he fails, football provides more guaranteed money at the front end also.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as usual ill state that i know didly compared to you guys when it comes to college players

however isnt he to short to succeed long term as a Qb

im thinking once the D coaches figure out containment and box him into the pocket

how does he see downfield to pick out his targets

i love watching Drew stand on his toes and squint downfield (actually my fave thing to watch since Brett hung up the gun)

and Drew is 2 inches taller than this kid.....

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as usual ill state that i know didly compared to you guys when it comes to college players

im thinking once the D coaches figure out containment and box him into the pocket

i love watching Drew stand on his toes and squint downfield (actually my fave thing to watch since Brett hung up the gun)

Baker and drew are short too, he’s shorter but talent can always prevail.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes.

And if he isn't a first round pick I will change my answer.

But, we are talking $15 million guaranteed vs. $5 million.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.
And if he isn't a first round pick I will change my answer.
But, we are talking $15 million guaranteed vs. $5 million.
Oh yea, I think that nails the bottom-line. It's about the $$, and football certainly offers more in that sense - as well as the opportunity to succeed (one of my points I tried to make earlier). In the end, no one can blame a guy for taking the bigger bucks and the better opportunity - since all pro sports have pretty short windows to be successful.
Pure "For Love of the Game" is basically a lost concept these days given the monetary factor. ... it's his life, his choice to make (but I'm sure he will have plenty of help making it).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: MLB would allow a big-league contract to help A’s sign Kyler Murray

"Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that MLB is willing to allow the A’s to negotiate a lucrative big-league contract for Murray, if that’s what it takes to get him to play baseball."

This is shocking to me. And it would also be a game changer in the football/baseball decision.

Seems a bit short sighted on MLB's part though. If Murray gets a big league deal right away, it won't be long before all the top picks are holding out for similar deals. Seems like a slippery slope to me.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that that isn't the basis of my argument at all. Not even close.

But yeah, I give Murray a better chance of resuming a meaningful baseball career after football (maybe 10%) than the other way around. Because there is a 0% chance he can be an NFL QB after a failed baseball attempt.

I got a lot of respect for you, but damn man. You get personally offended hella easy sometimes. Nobody is taking shots at you or at the level of skill/time required to be a successful pro baseball player. I just happen to believe that Kyler Murray is the rare type of athlete that could play just about anything he wanted with the right training. He is a "better athlete" than 99% of pro athletes.

No guarantee he makes it big in either sport, but he also shouldn't be compared to the masses because frankly he has more talent.

And furthering my point, 66% of first round picks in baseball fail to ever reach the majors. If his odds of excelling in each sport are comparable, football provides more money sooner. And if he fails, football provides more guaranteed money at the front end also.
I'm sorry I blew up, but I felt myself getting there, and had to remove myself from the convo before I did say something stupid.

Slept on it, haven't changed my thoughts or feelings. But calmer.

Bottom line, saying that a sport can just be walked away from for a couple/few years, and then backed back up like a snap of the fingers, is insulting to every athlete that's ever played it. And I'm sorry that you aren't seeing that, even if its not your point or what you're trying to convey at all, which is why it got so damned frustrating. I don't care if you're Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, or a Tim Tebow, its never just pick it back up and expect to succeed. Especially the way it is these days, if you're succeeding in baseball, its because you're doing baseball damned near 24/7, 356. Just being a superior athlete only gets you so far, and it ain't the majors.

I've said peace, again, sorry I blew up, I'll let it lie

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Russell Wilson tried to play football then fell back onto his baseball career?

Oh wait, he tried baseball 1st then fell back to the football side..... seems like we have a real world example of that working out vs the other scenario.

On the other hand, with the way contracts and such work at MLB, murray will be under control if he chooses football first, so there will be someone waiting to see if he's still got it.

If he's as special of an athlete as he and others think he is, kid will be fun to watch play either sport.

And @TREFF, I don't think anyone was downplaying what it takes to be a major leaguer, just that with MLB extensive minor league system, most think murray would get a shot somewhere, even if he stinks it up on the gridiron.

Here's my thing why I think he chooses baseball over football: the hits. Everyone loves to deal them out, no one wants to take them on the chin, in both sports.