• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Regular Season Thread

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stupid elias……...2 17 yr olds that wont make it to the bigs until 5 yrs from now, orioles have to pay 1.7 mill on Cash's contract plus any incentives cash achieves this year and the orioles lose out on a potential starting pitcher for next year. Like I said stupid

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance, I was completely baffled by the trade. But I am going to give it a chance and hope that Sig and Elias know something about those kids that we don't. This season, along with probably the next 2 or 3 afterwards were going to be tank seasons anyways, so it's worth a shot since Cashner was likely gone at the end of the year anyways.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance, I was completely baffled by the trade. But I am going to give it a chance and hope that Sig and Elias know something about those kids that we don't. This season, along with probably the next 2 or 3 afterwards were going to be tank seasons anyways, so it's worth a shot since Cashner was likely gone at the end of the year anyways.

Those kids don't have "play in the bigs now" numbers. Usually if you see those numbers in the minors they have an opportunity to move up. As far as Cash is concerned you can make him an offer at anytime according to his performance at any given moment. Now the goal for consistent pitching opportunity for next season has been squandered and consistent pitching has been the goal all along

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would be nice to see if wells or akin could compete in the majors . straily seems to be ok at aaa so he will replace a starter soon . keon in center in is a waste of time bring on hays .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Elias trades Mancini....Angelosi better be looking for a new GM
I don’t care if is traded or not. As long as we get good returns, that’s all I care about.

Those kids don't have "play in the bigs now" numbers. Usually if you see those numbers in the minors they have an opportunity to move up. As far as Cash is concerned you can make him an offer at anytime according to his performance at any given moment. Now the goal for consistent pitching opportunity for next season has been squandered and consistent pitching has been the goal all along
They’re only 17, they still have time to develop. If these guys were 5 years older, than I’d absolutely agree.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’re only 17, they still have time to develop. If these guys were 5 years older, than I’d absolutely agree.

There's another factor to consider: In a "deep rebuild" situation like this, it might actually make sense to get 17-year-old prospects as opposed to 22-year-olds. Why? Because the organization may be 3-5 years away from being ready to contend again, and the talents of prospects who peak "too early" may end up being wasted. By getting prospects with a higher ceiling but need more time to develop, you may increase the chance that they would peak around the same time (isn't that what the Astros and/or the Cubs did?)

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's another factor to consider: In a "deep rebuild" situation like this, it might actually make sense to get 17-year-old prospects as opposed to 22-year-olds. Why? Because the organization may be 3-5 years away from being ready to contend again, and the talents of prospects who peak "too early" may end up being wasted. By getting prospects with a higher ceiling but need more time to develop, you may increase the chance that they would peak around the same time (isn't that what the Astros and/or the Cubs did?)
Agreed. There's no rush on these guys (or shouldn't be), or anyone else for that matter. I trust in Mike and Sig to see something in these kids that maybe none of us do. They were left a team that was many years behind everyone else in many areas and have a lot catching up to do. It's going to take at least 4-5 years I believe to see whether or not their philosophy is working. But for right now and most likely, the next few years after that, we're going to have to suffer with a lot of horrible play at the major league level and hope that they can at least get decent prospects for anyone worth anything on the 25 man roster and build up the farm full of prospects that'll succeed at the major league level.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles made their first of what will likely be several trades over the weekend when they dealt Andrew Cashner to the Red Sox, and Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports that closer Mychal Givens is drawing interest and is “definitely” available — a departure from recent seasons under previous front office management. The Phillies and Nationals, in particular, have interest in Givens, per the report. Obviously, a deal with the Nats would be difficult to hammer out when the two clubs continue to be embroiled in the ongoing dispute over MASN television rights fees.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look those prospects in the Cashner deal weren't even pitchers. I don't know what time frame Elias is using for these deals but they are not making sense to turn the Orioles around. I don't think Elias has 5 years with Angelosi especially in the loss column

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
simple ..….Elias just terminated a starting pitcher for next year and got nothing in return......I hope Angelosi is watching closely

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
player of the game chris davis with go ahead homer in the 8 th inn . 7 / 30 2019

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies GM Matt Klentak announced today that the club acquired righty Dan Strailyfrom the Orioles, as MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki was among those to report on Twitter. The return isn’t known.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, pretty much a dull trade deadline as an O’s fan with only a minor league trade going down. I’m fine with it if we weren’t getting the value they were hoping for. I’d rather keep them and possibly try again in December during the Winter Meetings.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, pretty much a dull trade deadline as an O’s fan with only a minor league trade going down. I’m fine with it if we weren’t getting the value they were hoping for. I’d rather keep them and possibly try again in December during the Winter Meetings.

Yea, I'm assuming they didn't get a good offer for Trey. Hopefully, he has a good Aug/Sept and raises his value.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I'm assuming they didn't get a good offer for Trey. Hopefully, he has a good Aug/Sept and raises his value.
Agreed. I’m thinking that teams really weren’t going to look at Trey since Elias would probably have a high asking price since Trey has multiple years before free agency. I was thinking if anyone was gone, it would’ve been Givens. But I have a feeling that time frame where he was getting shelled really hurt his trade value.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I’m thinking that teams really weren’t going to look at Trey since Elias would probably have a high asking price since Trey has multiple years before free agency. I was thinking if anyone was gone, it would’ve been Givens. But I have a feeling that time frame where he was getting shelled really hurt his trade value.

I think Givens will comeback with better numbers next year, everyone has seen how well he can pitch under Showalter.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Givens will comeback with better numbers next year, everyone has seen how well he can pitch under Showalter.
I'm thinking that horrible stretch he had in mid-late May and June really killed any value he had. By the time he started turning it around again in July, it wasn't going to matter because teams were going to lowball us. If he can not have any major hiccups in these final two months, we might be able to get something decent for him at the Winter Meetings. Teams probably see him as a 7th or 8th inning guy but not as a closer, which probably hurts his value a little bit as well. Otherwise, I think we'll have to wait until next year like you said before exploring trading him again.