• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Preseason thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Frank Ragnow suffered only a minor ankle sprain

Center Frank Ragnow suffered just a minor ankle sprain in the Ford Field loss to the Buffalo Bills in the third preseason game. According to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, Ragnow will not miss much, if any, time because of the injury.

Ragnow crumpled to the ground and was rolled up on by a teammate in a scrum. The second-year center immediately grabbed at his ankle in obvious distress. He struggled to get off the field with assistance.

After already losing Jarrad Davis to an injury earlier in the game, it felt like the sky was falling on the Lions. The positive diagnosis of a minor injury and the possibility Ragnow will be in the lineup against Arizona in Week 1 is certainly uplifting news.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with the current injury to J. Davis you'll see Tavai takes his place at MIKE and JRM at the WILL. The latter pretty much already earned that designation according to camp reports of how well he's come along so far.

Tavai has already been the play caller during his 1st/2nd team reps for games so I don't think they'll make any changes regarding that while moving him to 1st team MIKE. Maybe you'll see Tavai pulled off the field during long passing downs while having a 3 down DL set. I would think JRM would be the lone true LB with a JACK and 6 DB's. Tavai's achilles heel is his pass coverage woes.

BB_72; I guess I'm wrong AGAIN. Going to the crying thread soon.

Projecting the roster fallout after Jarrad Davis and Frank Ragnow injuries

With Davis out, Jahlani Tavai and Jalen Reeves-Maybin stepped up and both played well in his absence.

When the Lions kept only one of the pair on the field, it was Tavai at the MIKE calling plays and making adjustments. But when both were on the field at the same time, Tavai would slide over to the WILL and Reeves-Maybin would take over at the MIKE, relying on his experience to call the defense.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason Week 3 report card: Grading the starters, depth vs. Bills

Defensive line

Starter grade: A

For the first quarter of the game, the Lions’ defense was very stout and a lot of it had to do with the defensive front. With all the starters in the game aside from Trey Flowers and Da’Shawn Hand, the Lions were able to stop the run with relative ease, and they even got a good amount of pressure from Mike Daniels.

Depth grade: D

I thought P.J. Johnson rebounded nicely, but the Lions still struggled to generate any pressure from their reserves, and you could immediately tell the difference once the second-team defensive line came in. Case in point: the Lions allowed Bills running backs to rush for 24 yards on six carries in the first quarter. In the second quarter: nine rushes, 79 yards.

BB_72; ^^^^ this has got to be fixed with the rotational depth players. It's been a constant during pre-season games and the scrimmage against NE.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What should the Lions to do at linebacker?

The option in this article of trading for former 2017 1st rd pick, LB Hasson Reddick, seems a bit premature in my opinion.

Any thoughts or comments from anyone ?

Here's the two paragraphs regarding the writer's thoughts.

The 2017 draft saw Lions Twitter beam with love for Haason Reddick. After being selected 13th overall by the Cardinals, you could hear Lions fans around the world sigh in disappointment. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, he has not lived up to the hype. As of now, they are hoping a move to inside linebacker brings about some changes but most with knowledge of the team seem skeptical. Though Reddick is still working his way back from offseason surgery, he shouldn’t miss much, if any, time in the regular season.

The cliche of a “change of scenery” gets mentioned too often. Welp... I’m going there. If a mid-round pick (fourth, preferably) would be enough to pry the young and promising but so far underwhelming talent away from Arizona, this is a move I’d want to see. Aside from helping replace Davis for a portion (or all) of this year, Reddick could be part of the Lions defense for years to come if he reaches the potential everyone fell in love with just a few years ago. That’s my possible solution. What would you like to see happen at linebacker?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What should the Lions to do at linebacker?

The option in this article of trading for former 2017 1st rd pick, LB Hasson Reddick, seems a bit premature in my opinion.

Any thoughts or comments from anyone ?

Here's the two paragraphs regarding the writer's thoughts.

The 2017 draft saw Lions Twitter beam with love for Haason Reddick. After being selected 13th overall by the Cardinals, you could hear Lions fans around the world sigh in disappointment. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, he has not lived up to the hype. As of now, they are hoping a move to inside linebacker brings about some changes but most with knowledge of the team seem skeptical. Though Reddick is still working his way back from offseason surgery, he shouldn’t miss much, if any, time in the regular season.

The cliche of a “change of scenery” gets mentioned too often. Welp... I’m going there. If a mid-round pick (fourth, preferably) would be enough to pry the young and promising but so far underwhelming talent away from Arizona, this is a move I’d want to see. Aside from helping replace Davis for a portion (or all) of this year, Reddick could be part of the Lions defense for years to come if he reaches the potential everyone fell in love with just a few years ago. That’s my possible solution. What would you like to see happen at linebacker?

I think we will acutally play more 3-4 instead of less. Kennard and Flowers will be the OLBs and Tavai and JRM the inside. More of the Bears look.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably wouldn't be surprise that I do remember the Texans game in 2012. Following the 49ers game (Calvin running crossing routes) in 2012 (Schwartz’s old Titans team) Stafford left the game with a hammy (90 seconds left down by 14). Shaun Hill was getting it done until Dominic Raiola snapped the ball in OT to lose the game. The following week the Lions got a RECORD for allowing Kickoff Returns and Punt Returns for TD's two weeks in-a-row (Titans and Vikings).

You are a madman for remembering all that.
I compartmentalize all that to keep my sanity.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a madman for remembering all that.
I compartmentalize all that to keep my sanity.
Had you not said "The team finds new excuses or ways to lose every year." with the Texans game in 2012, it would've been a lost memory. You're probably right about me being a madman... the Lions live in my head rent free.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN released the 100 best players. Lions only player was Slay ranked at 100

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN released the 100 best players. Lions only player was Slay ranked at 100

"Mayhew's pick."
Just trust the plan. Quinn is building a roster here.
You gotta zag when other GM's are zigging.
All these foolish GM's taking pass rushers.
Quinn is slowly building an elite team by taking centers and TE's in round 1.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had you not said "The team finds new excuses or ways to lose every year." with the Texans game in 2012, it would've been a lost memory. You're probably right about me being a madman... the Lions live in my head rent free.

You want them to be good, soooooo bad but just KNOW they will underachieve lol.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions need to avoid injuries against the Browns and hopefully the rest of the regular season. I'm guessing the coaching will be vanilla once again.

You want them to be good, soooooo bad but just KNOW they will underachieve lol.
JFK signed into law that makes the NFL "entertainment" which really isn't a sport when the officials can dictate the outcome of any game. The Lions wont win until they get the nod from the NFL... Until then they're sandbaggers, schedule fillers and overpaid actors.

Last edited:

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jahlani Tavai and Jalen Reeves-Maybin stepped up and both played well in his absence.

Can't wait to see Jahlani's flowing jerry curls bouncing around the field.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zenner got released