• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Preseason thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Studs and Duds from preseason Week 2 Lions vs Texans

STUD – The backup wide receivers
Travis Fulgham, Andy Jones, Brandon Powell, Deontez Alexander, Jonathan Duhart, Tom Kennedy, and Chris Lacy all made their marks in the passing game. These young pass-catchers are all in the fight for the fourth and fifth wide receiver positions, and the competition will be a close one right until the end of the preseason.

@Old Lion

I really was surprised by Duhart and Kennedy. Not sure either will make the roster but I would like to keep them on the practice squad. The rest, meh.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions stock watch: David Fales up, pass rushers down

Stock down

Joe Dahl – Dahl wasn’t bad. He didn’t whiff on any blocks or give up any sacks. But playing left guard with the first-team offensive line, Dahl was called for two penalties, a false start and a hold. The Lions have two more weeks to decide if Dahl or Kenny Wiggins will be their Week 1 starter, and Dahl can’t afford many more sloppy days like Saturday.

The Lions’ interior defensive line – The Lions got little pass rush Saturday outside of Okwara’s lone sack and a few decent rushes by Mitchell Loewen and Jonathan Wynn, and part of the issue was a lack of push from the interior line. Granted, A’Shawn Robinson was the only regular who saw the field, but none of P.J. Johnson, Kevin Strong and Fred Jones

The holding call on Dahl was BS. The false start was his first I believe. If it becomes an issue then I will worry about it. He should be our starter. Wiggins has looked better at Tackle then Guard surprisingly. Maybe he bumps Crosby who has looked poor so far.

The inside D-line is all backups, even A'shawn. We will keep Daniels and let him go next year most likely.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The jury is still out for me regarding Harris and will be throughout the year. He's lost while in coverage and it's much worse the farther he's away from the LOS.

AA has had his ups and downs as well and although there's small sample sizes there's some miscommunication with other DB's responsibilities from what I've seen that appear to not be his fault at times. He's still made some really bad judgement calls when considering where he might/should've been in coverage. The zone concepts seems to be confusing for him at times when deciphering what other DB's responsibilities are.

Is it wrong that there is a little part of me that hates AA because he wears number 24?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense made a few plays later in the first half. A lot had to do with how terrible Webb was though.
Secondary should be a strength this year. The #2 guy made a few plays and Slay was solid as always.
The pass rush was scary weak and the Hawaii dude looked like the second coming of Alama-Francis.
I didn't see J. Davis at all (not sure if he played).
I didn't watch the second half.

He was not asked to rush the passer on any play that I can recall. That comment seems preconceived instead of as a result of any plays.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not asked to rush the passer on any play that I can recall. That comment seems preconceived instead of as a result of any plays.

That one confused me as well.

Everything I have read on Tavai has been very positive. I am no expert on linebacker play, but what I watched he seemed to be in the correct position on run plays. I don't know how much he is even expected to pass rush.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FRI @ 8pm ET vs Bills up next

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crappy? You mean the team that went 11-5 (Same record as the team that won the superbowl) last year and won their division?
That record was an aberration in a division that has been historically weak for years now. They're a poorly coached meh team that no one in the league is scared of.

O'Brien is 1-3 in the playoffs. The combined score of the three losses is 23-85. That's a bad coach and a toothless team.

Last edited:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That record was an aberration in a division that has been historically weak for years now. They're a poorly coached meh team that no one in the league is scared of.

O'Brien is 1-3 in the playoffs. The combined score of the three losses is 23-85. That's a bad coach and a toothless team.
iu

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching:

Matt Patricia playing water boy makes me wonder if he wasn't getting out of the line of fire. Sure it's only preseason but still I would expect better coaching after firing a HC with a winning record.

Lions try a 2 point conversion and fail, it happens. The Lions score in the 4th quarter...
A) 2 point conversion if successful can bring the Lions within 3 points for a tie for OT if it comes down to that.
B) 2 point conversion if unsuccessful leaves the Lions down by 5 point, which a TD would be needed for a win.
C) kick the extra point and be down by 4 points forcing the Lions to score a TD, instead of options of a Win or Tie.

The Lions are in flippin' good hands with that kind of coaching.

2nd and 30+... run the ball. 3rd and 20+... run the ball. 3rd and long... screen play from behind the LOS. Lol, I'm sorry guys, it's only preseason. That kind of stuff wouldn't happen in the regular season.

The only thing that has/have changed are the names

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching:

Matt Patricia playing water boy makes me wonder if he wasn't getting out of the line of fire. Sure it's only preseason but still I would expect better coaching after firing a HC with a winning record.

Lions try a 2 point conversion and fail, it happens. The Lions score in the 4th quarter...
A) 2 point conversion if successful can bring the Lions within 3 points for a tie for OT if it comes down to that.
B) 2 point conversion if unsuccessful leaves the Lions down by 5 point, which a TD would be needed for a win.
C) kick the extra point and be down by 4 points forcing the Lions to score a TD, instead of options of a Win or Tie.

The Lions are in flippin' good hands with that kind of coaching.

2nd and 30+... run the ball. 3rd and 20+... run the ball. 3rd and long... screen play from behind the LOS. Lol, I'm sorry guys, it's only preseason. That kind of stuff wouldn't happen in the regular season.

The only thing that has/have changed are the names.

Because noone gives a shit about score or situation in a preseason game. They are there to get reps and thats it. The first half of Game 3 is the only time that even remotely matters in preseason.

Pardon the rest of us if we dont join your whinefest prematurely.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pardon the rest of us if we don't join your whinefest prematurely.
I see one of two things happening this year...
1a) The Lions bow to the Packers win/loss record for the 4th time during Stafford tenure. 1b) The Packers make the playoffs with a first year head coach.
2) The Lions get the nod from the NFL to win.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see one of two things happening this year...
1a) The Lions bow to the Packers win/loss record for the 4th time during Stafford tenure. 1b) The Packers make the playoffs with a first year head coach.
2) The Lions get the nod from the NFL to win.

OK, now I know you are smoking better stuff then @broncosmitty. Packers are going nowhere. There is a good chance they finish dead last.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I actually get to watch this game! I look forward to my impending disappointment.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 4th and goal at the 4 and we kick a 23 yard field goal? I thought this was pre-season? Why aren't we getting the starters as many reps as possible in a new offense? They trying to win a pre-season game here?

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was roughing the passer, I may not be watching a whole lot of NFL this season.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect better coaching after firing a HC with a winning record.

Lions upper management were confused with so much winning and knew they needed to make a change.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is good the refs know why we watch. It is to hear the whistles. Dont want to waste too much time actually watching football

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice little TD drive there. Lions looked creative with their play calling. More aggressive downfield stuff.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, now I know you are smoking better stuff then @broncosmitty. Packers are going nowhere. There is a good chance they finish dead last.
I think we'll give em a run for their money.

Only listening on the radio, but it sounds like we've lost two starters in Davis and Ragnow.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only listening on the radio, but it sounds like we've lost two starters in Davis and Ragnow.

Davis looked way worse.
Ragnow was walking around on the sidelines shortly after.