• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tired of trading down for lesser talent, just pick the best OL or DL at 21.

Can't do that though. I would rather get say a late pick in the 30's and another pick in the 55-60 range, this team needs that and if they can then flip that late 30 into say a pick in the mid 40's and another in the 80-90's i am all for it.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has been horrible in round one for a long time because they refuse to pick the BPA or they trade out. it just hasnt worked out that well for us.

take the best player and move on, we will have more picks next year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has been horrible in round one for a long time because they refuse to pick the BPA or they trade out. it just hasnt worked out that well for us.

take the best player and move on, we will have more picks next year.

I disagree regarding just taking the BPA and waiting until the third round for the next pick. If the Seahawks had 7 picks, I'd have no issue with that. We only have 4.

The talent drop off from #21 to say the beginning of the second round or the middle of the second round isn't monumental. Such a trade would net us another pick in the 3rd round or so. The Seahawks have a lot of positions that they could use some more talent at.

Only reason not to trade down is if someone special falls to us.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Russell Wilson want to stay with the Seahawks?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2019, 12:42 AM EDT

When asked last month by Jimmy Fallon about a rumor that Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilsoncould end up with the Giants, Wilson said, “I’m not sure if the Seahawks are gonna let me get away.”

That response glosses over the more fundamental question of whether Wilson would like for the Seahawks to let him get away.

Per a league source, the Seahawks think that Wilson would like to play elsewhere, even if he hasn’t and wouldn’t ever say it. They also believe that this unspoken dynamic will cause Wilson to drive a harder bargain with them than he would with another team.

Yes, Wilson and his agent, Mark Rodgers, continue to talk to the Seahawks about a long-term deal. And, yes, under the right financial circumstances, Wilson will sign what would be a third contract in Seattle. But if the Seahawks won’t pay whatever it is that Wilson wants from the Seahawks, the question becomes whether he’d want that same amount from a different team.

The answer to that question won’t be known unless and until the Seahawks and Wilson fail to work out a contract before Wilson’s stated deadline of April 15, and whether the Seahawks would at some point explore the possibility of trading Wilson elsewhere. That may not happen in 2019, when the Seahawks can keep Wilson for a base salary of $17 million. It becomes more likely if/when Wilson initiates the year-to-year Kirk Cousins-style approach under the franchise tag, with $30.34 million becoming the price tag for keeping him in 2020 — and when Wilson’s leverage on a long-term deal would skyrocket, given that the franchise tag would move to $36.4 million for 2021 and, given the 44-percent rule for a third tag, to $52.43 million for 2022.

If Wilson would take less than what he could get from the Seahawks on a long-term deal, it becomes easier to trade him, since his next team wouldn’t be looking at the same astronomical investment. And that becomes a very real dynamic in the question of whether the Seahawks will devote the cash and cap space necessary to keep him, or whether they’d get what they can and start over with a young quarterback who would be making dramatically less under the rookie wage scale.

It’s a consideration that remains premature while the window remains open on a long-term deal for Wilson. But if/when April 15 without a long-term deal between the Seahawks and Wilson, the question of whether would take less from a different team becomes highly relevant to whether the Seahawks could find a trade partner, if that’s the route the team chooses to take instead of paying him unprecedented franchise-tag money on a year-to-year basis.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Glazer of The Athletic (subscription required) writes that several teams were interested in trading for Clark at the outset of free agency, but he notes that there has been no trade chatter since then. Glazer adds that the Seahawks love Clark, and that unless the team is overwhelmed by a trade offer, Clark will remain with Seattle. Given Clark’s stance with respect to the franchise tag, it sounds as if he will be getting his big-money, long-term deal before July 15.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Russell Wilson want to stay with the Seahawks?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2019, 12:42 AM EDT

When asked last month by Jimmy Fallon about a rumor that Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilsoncould end up with the Giants, Wilson said, “I’m not sure if the Seahawks are gonna let me get away.”

That response glosses over the more fundamental question of whether Wilson would like for the Seahawks to let him get away.

Per a league source, the Seahawks think that Wilson would like to play elsewhere, even if he hasn’t and wouldn’t ever say it. They also believe that this unspoken dynamic will cause Wilson to drive a harder bargain with them than he would with another team.

Yes, Wilson and his agent, Mark Rodgers, continue to talk to the Seahawks about a long-term deal. And, yes, under the right financial circumstances, Wilson will sign what would be a third contract in Seattle. But if the Seahawks won’t pay whatever it is that Wilson wants from the Seahawks, the question becomes whether he’d want that same amount from a different team.

The answer to that question won’t be known unless and until the Seahawks and Wilson fail to work out a contract before Wilson’s stated deadline of April 15, and whether the Seahawks would at some point explore the possibility of trading Wilson elsewhere. That may not happen in 2019, when the Seahawks can keep Wilson for a base salary of $17 million. It becomes more likely if/when Wilson initiates the year-to-year Kirk Cousins-style approach under the franchise tag, with $30.34 million becoming the price tag for keeping him in 2020 — and when Wilson’s leverage on a long-term deal would skyrocket, given that the franchise tag would move to $36.4 million for 2021 and, given the 44-percent rule for a third tag, to $52.43 million for 2022.

If Wilson would take less than what he could get from the Seahawks on a long-term deal, it becomes easier to trade him, since his next team wouldn’t be looking at the same astronomical investment. And that becomes a very real dynamic in the question of whether the Seahawks will devote the cash and cap space necessary to keep him, or whether they’d get what they can and start over with a young quarterback who would be making dramatically less under the rookie wage scale.

It’s a consideration that remains premature while the window remains open on a long-term deal for Wilson. But if/when April 15 without a long-term deal between the Seahawks and Wilson, the question of whether would take less from a different team becomes highly relevant to whether the Seahawks could find a trade partner, if that’s the route the team chooses to take instead of paying him unprecedented franchise-tag money on a year-to-year basis.

I have a strong feeling that's merely a negotiation tactic. It's a way of saying to the Seahawks "You need me more than I need you"

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a strong feeling that's merely a negotiation tactic. It's a way of saying to the Seahawks "You need me more than I need you"

I don't know, it's just the first "update" that has happened in the situation in a while. I'm not even sure how much stock I even put into it, especially since it's a league source, not a Seahawks source.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like wilson wants a deal that locks him in to 20% of the cap. He better be careful or he will look like just another greedy a-hole alienating the fanbase.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like wilson wants a deal that locks him in to 20% of the cap. He better be careful or he will look like just another greedy a-hole alienating the fanbase.

I heard that too.

Given history and all the great stats @blstoker provided, I cannot justify that whatsoever.

I found the idea of trading Wilson to be an interesting proposal prior to this, but tying that much money to his contract means the Seahawks will be a perpetual 8-10 win team for the duration of Wilson's contract with that much money tied to one player.

I really don't want to dislike Wilson, and I know everyone wants to get paid, but I cannot see any team conceivably making a Super Bowl tying so much cap space to a QB. You'd have to get insanely creative and draft impeccably.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that too.

Given history and all the great stats @blstoker provided, I cannot justify that whatsoever.

I found the idea of trading Wilson to be an interesting proposal prior to this, but tying that much money to his contract means the Seahawks will be a perpetual 8-10 win team for the duration of Wilson's contract with that much money tied to one player.

I really don't want to dislike Wilson, and I know everyone wants to get paid, but I cannot see any team conceivably making a Super Bowl tying so much cap space to a QB. You'd have to get insanely creative and draft impeccably.

Yeah... Tough situation for sure... Clark wanting 20 million and with Russ basically wanting 35+ million a year, tying 55+million a year into two players is dangerous imo... I will be shocked if one of those two aren't traded...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... Tough situation for sure... Clark wanting 20 million and with Russ basically wanting 35+ million a year, tying 55+million a year into two players is dangerous imo... I will be shocked if one of those two aren't traded...

We also have to pay Bobby Wagner and Jarran Reed next offseason.

If Clark gets "only" $20m APY,
If Wagner gets "only $17m APY (what C.J. Mosley landed)
Wilson getting $30m from the tag,

You're looking at $67m tied up in 3 players.

No idea what Reed will demand in negotiations, but he was one of the few interior defensive linemen to put up double digit sacks. There are 23 interior defensive linemen who will earn at least $9m in 2019.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have to pay Bobby Wagner and Jarran Reed next offseason.

If Clark gets "only" $20m APY,
If Wagner gets "only $17m APY (what C.J. Mosley landed)
Wilson getting $30m from the tag,

You're looking at $67m tied up in 3 players.

No idea what Reed will demand in negotiations, but he was one of the few interior defensive linemen to put up double digit sacks. There are 23 interior defensive linemen who will earn at least $9m in 2019.

Way too much money... Wagner could be the guy that we'd let go if that is the case... Can't pay him that kind of money when DE and QB are more valuable...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been around much lately so not sure if it's been covered, but it's interesting that Cassius Marsh is back on the team after bouncing around the last couple years after we traded him. I liked his talent when he was here, but my issue was his lack of discipline. Time may address some of that, and now that he's a few years older (about to turn 27 in July) then maybe he'll restrain himself a little better to avoid the dumb penalties well away from the ball or after the whistle that he seemed to get nailed for his first time here. I don't expect much more than quality ST play and role player status, but every team needs guys like that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too much money... Wagner could be the guy that we'd let go if that is the case... Can't pay him that kind of money when DE and QB are more valuable...

The C.J. Mosley contract really screwed over the Seahawks when it comes to Bobby Wagner. I don't think there is any dispute that from 2018 to 2019 he has been the NFL's best off the ball linebacker. ILB isn't as glamorous as a lot of other positions because you don't have the sexy stats like sacks, but he provides a tremendous value to the defense. He's also one of the best defensive players at his respective position.

Mosley is not even remotely worth $17m a year, but it's reasonable to expect that Wagner would expect to be paid as the NFL's best linebacker.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been around much lately so not sure if it's been covered, but it's interesting that Cassius Marsh is back on the team after bouncing around the last couple years after we traded him. I liked his talent when he was here, but my issue was his lack of discipline. Time may address some of that, and now that he's a few years older (about to turn 27 in July) then maybe he'll restrain himself a little better to avoid the dumb penalties well away from the ball or after the whistle that he seemed to get nailed for his first time here. I don't expect much more than quality ST play and role player status, but every team needs guys like that.

It's a low-key signing but I think it's a good one.

Marsh was always a really useful rotational player and if I recall correctly was a contributor on special teams. With the Seahawks not exactly having ideal depth or experience on the edge, it's a good depth move.

He's not an impact signing, but the depth he provides is quite useful.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a low-key signing but I think it's a good one.

Marsh was always a really useful rotational player and if I recall correctly was a contributor on special teams. With the Seahawks not exactly having ideal depth or experience on the edge, it's a good depth move.

He's not an impact signing, but the depth he provides is quite useful.
Yep, he was definitely value added on ST. Good rotational DE as you say. I think they even toyed with the idea of having him play OLB toward the end of his first tour here when Irvin left.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm kinda wondering if this was a ( gets into his Broken Matt Hardy voice) premonition for the upcoming draft.

Instead of going after a edge rusher at 21 ( if we keep it) we go after a Safety to replace Earl and beat the safety run at the beginning of the 2nd round.

I'm a sucker for small school studs but I like Nasir Adderley of Delaware

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Truth is
#1 the seattle offence was built for wilson
At this point
With a few Oline and wr,s to go
Giants offence is not
It is old school ... not west coast
Any other team Wilson went to would have
To change to what Wilson does best

For both sides....seattle is better

If going to the super bowl is the idea
Pete and Russell go together
Peanut butter and jelly