• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason thread

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone have an early opinion or guess at what the short-term and long-term role of Tavai will be ?

Long-term he'll probably get traded to the Pats for a conditional 7th. He seems like a really good fit for their system.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone have an early opinion or guess at what the short-term and long-term role of Tavai will be ?

He will be a Jack most likely. Lots of skeptical people (myself included, I had him as a round 3 or even 4 pick) so he better not start slow.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So desperate they are willing to part with a conditional 7th round pick!

Out of all news so far, my favorite is the Lions not getting saddled with Hard Knocks

To give anything for a guy we were going to waive immediately is somewhat desperate yes.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant help but feel like this is targeted at my very minor overreaction at draft time.

If you didn't verbally state 43, Tavai's draft slot, consecutive words cussing then I'd consider whatever reaction you had as minor.

I look forward to reading your quips. They are a "make my day" positive read for me.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant help but feel like this is targeted at my very minor overreaction at draft time.

Stomp's response was exactly what I hoped would come from you.
I liked his response.

Long-term he'll probably get traded to the Pats for a conditional 7th. He seems like a really good fit for their system.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be a Jack most likely. Lots of skeptical people (myself included, I had him as a round 3 or even 4 pick) so he better not start slow.

I'll take a different approach and state that Tavai will become the starting Mike and Davis gets pushed to weak/chase LB. It will depend on how quickly Tavai advances in camp with Patricia's scheme.

Davis struggles to shed blocks in the run game and his missed tackles came mostly in the run game. I know his pass coverage lacks greatly but maybe a move to weak-side will improve his play similar to Levy once he was shifted from Mike to WLB. The one area Davis excelled at last year was his ability to blitz. This is Davis' year to prove he belongs in this scheme or he might be next to go.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 winners, 2 losers from Detroit Lions OTAs, minicamp

Winner: Joe Dahl
If I’m being completely honest, I thought Dahl’s Lions career was on life support. With three seasons of spot duty since being drafted in the fifth round, it seemed like the developmental project would never truly compete for a significant role on the offense.

However, Dahl’s versatility gives him an edge up on a lot of Detroit’s offensive line depth right now. During OTAs he literally played all three interior positions, and we know Dahl is also capable of playing tackle in a pinch.

And as OTAs and minicamp came to a close, Dahl actually got some significant reps with the first team, working as the starting left guard with Oday Aboushi at the other guard position. Over the course of the entire month of practices, he still took the majority of his snaps with the second-team offense, but at this point, Dahl moved from the roster bubble to a near roster lock. Obviously, things could change in a hurry once the pads come on.

BB_72; 20man, from Detroit Lions.com, wrote something relatively similar praising Dahl.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

J. Davis is responsible for almost 20% of those missed tackles as he had 12 last year. One player accounts for nearly 20%. smh, on that one.

I'm guilty for wanting this kid thinking he'd be "the link" to solving one of the LB positions in a positive way.

I know I posted the article somewhere in here but I'm not going to attempt to find it.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

I can't wait to see J. Davis matched up against M. Roberts

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Matthew Stafford play with a broken back in 2018?

“As it turned out, he had a broken back last year—broken bones in his back,” O’Hara said.

What followed after O’Hara said that is a little confusing. Brown asked O’Hara if he was supposed to say that, perhaps revealing injury information that wasn’t supposed to be public. O’Hara believed he wasn’t saying anything that wasn’t already out there.

“It’s been reported,” O’Hara said. “No, I read that. Word gets out in the National Football League.”

As far as I can tell, however, I have not seen that reported anywhere. So it’s unclear if O’Hara let a bit of news slip or if he simply misremembered a report on the severity of Stafford’s back injury.

BB_72' This is news to me. I've never questioned Stafford's toughness but if this reporting is true, I'm stunned, amazed and in awe of his team first mentality even more than before.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

I won't be shocked if both Tabor and JRM are not on this years final 53. JRM has had injury issues dating back to missing most of his senior season at Tennessee plus other games while there and injuries/multiple/missed games in these past two years.

I hope Tabor puts it all together this year and shows potential but I'm not counting on it.

That was one bad draft (2017) all the way around, up and down.

You can probably add Killebrew (2016) to the list of the above two that won't make the final 53. all imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Observations from the Lions final OTA of 2019

Offensive line rotation
After last weeks practices saw the Lions swapping their guards out for full sessions, today they were rotating them every series. Kenny Wiggins and Joe Dahl swapped time at left guard, while Graham Glasgow and Oday Abboushi altered at right guard.

Frank Ragnow anchored the center position with the first team, while Leo Kolomatangi and newly acquired Luke Bowanko each saw time at center with the second team.

Next man up at linebacker
With Christian Jones sidelined, second-round pick Jahlani Tavai stepped into the starting role at WILL linebacker. The second-team saw a lot of rotating bodies including Miles Killebrew and undrafted rookie edge rusher Malik Carney who illustrated his range to play multiple spots. Keep an eye on Carney come training camp who could be playing himself into a roster spot.

BB_72; I made a few posts regarding Carney throughout the pre-draft process. He's long levered, uses his hand wells and has some ability dropping into space (he's not great in coverage but he was adequate for UNC). He probably won't make the final 53 but I hope he gets through waivers and signed to the P.S. He's one to watch out for to possibly taking over the Jack role within a year or two. He missed 4 games in his final season. I had anticipated him being drafted but he become an UDFA of ours.

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Malik Carney | NFL.com

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J. Davis is responsible for almost 20% of those missed tackles as he had 12 last year. One player accounts for nearly 20%. smh, on that one.

I'm guilty for wanting this kid thinking he'd be "the link" to solving one of the LB positions in a positive way.

I know I posted the article somewhere in here but I'm not going to attempt to find it.

I wanted him to be the Will figuring he was so fast he would learn pass defense pretty quickly. Maybe this year they will move him.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

I won't be shocked if both Tabor and JRM are not on this years final 53. JRM has had injury issues dating back to missing most of his senior season at Tennessee plus other games while there and injuries/multiple/missed games in these past two years.

I hope Tabor puts it all together this year and shows potential but I'm not counting on it.

You can probably add Killebrew (2016) to the list of the above two that won't make the final 53. all imo.

I wouldnt go that far. It was a bad overall draft yes. Kenny G is phenomenal. Davis is out of position IMO but can be a high level player if used properly. Agnew is an excellent ST player although I dont want him playing Slot ever again. He is better off on the outside against bigger slower guys. The rest suck.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldnt go that far.

In complete context, 3 picks out of 9 in total is bad. I don't have a problem with KG and what he has done to date.

Agnew in slot, he is still learning to play at a much higher level than where a player like Tabor came from. I'm all for him to keep getting reps at slot.

Davis, he's had two different schemes to learn to play in in his first two years but his progress to date has been late in both seasons (the last 4-5 games each season).

I'll agree with you regarding Davis might be playing out of position but I doubt MP makes another change for him (even though I noted that I think Tavai should become starting Mike). Like you stated, Davis' on field speed seems better suited at Will but that's about all of the positive I can see from him at this time.

Davis has to step it up this year or it's not going to end well for him. imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been meaning to call out @Stomp every time I've logged on for choosing Hockenson as his top player for the 1st round. You were steadfast in that selection at #8 from the beginning. Props to you.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Detroit Lions 2017 draft class was a disaster

Jarrad Davis

Teez Tabor

Kenny Golladay

Jalen Reeves-Maybin

Michael Roberts

Jamal Agnew

Jeremiah Ledbetter

Brad Kaaya

Pat O’Connor

Those were the nine names called by the Detroit Lions on the weekend of the 2017 NFL Draft. An exciting weekend for Lions fans—just as it is for every other fan base around the NFL—as a group of new young faces had arrived to fill the team’s need and potentially build this team into a contender.
Only Golladay isn't a disappointment. And he'd be depth on any team with a modern offensive scheme. #3 guy.

Agnew occupying a roster spot to kneel on kickoffs isn't anything Im rooting for either.