• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Ragnow is moving to Center and Glasgow to Guard.

I like this move.

I felt prior to drafting Glasgow that he appeared to me as being better suited as a RG than Center or LG. Glasgow performed adequately at LG in his rookie season and to some extent at Center the last two seasons but I believe he has the potential to become top 5-8 at RG. (I felt the same towards Reiff coming out of college in that he had more potential as a RG rather than either OT position and you'll probably see that move coming this season).

Let's hope Dahl can at least play up to the level that former Lions LG Rob Sims did in his good years.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW

Best draft-class WR by route, scheme fit with new NFL team | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | Pro Football Focus

T.J. Hockenson, Detroit Lions
Best Route: Crossers
Hockenson had one of the more impressive resumes on crossers in the entire draft class, even if he finished the year with just five receptions on the route concept. He turned those five receptions into 135 yards with a touchdown and four additional first downs. He was able to separate at the catch point better than most while his speed was demonstrated as he routinely ran by linebackers through the middle of the field and averaged 13.8 yards after the catch per reception.

Just another reason why Hockenson fits perfectly in Detroit, one of Matthew Stafford‘s best and most frequently targeted route concepts were crossers over the past three seasons as he’s completed 109 of the 165 crossing routes he targeted. Despite 13 dropped passes on the route, he has still managed 1,520 passing yards and accompanied those with five big-time throws since 2016.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^
In conjunction with the above post the following article is intriguing, imo.

T.J. Hockenson should be the best tight end that Matthew Stafford has ever played with | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | Pro Football Focus

While Stafford’s tight ends have accounted for a drop rate of 7.7% since 2009 — the fifth-worst rate in the NFL — the quarterback hasn’t particularly helped his tight ends throughout his career. Since entering the league, Stafford’s grade when targeting the position is just 79.1 — 28th among qualifying quarterbacks in that span.

However, one area that Stafford has excelled in during his time in the NFL is targeting his tight ends is in the red zone. Since 2009, he’s earned an 81.1 passing grade when targeting his tight ends inside his opponent’s 20-yard line, placing him ninth among qualifying signal-callers in that time. Even with a 6-foot-5 wide receiver that could jump out of the stadium in Calvin Johnson, Stafford’s red-zone passing grade jumped nearly 20.0 points between wide receivers (63.8) and tight ends (81.1).

All of the focus on tight ends in Stafford’s early career was in part due to running multi-tight end sets. The Lions had two or more tight ends on the field 37% of the time from 2009-13, which was even more than the Darrell Bevell-led Seattle Seahawks (35.8%). But from 2013-18, the Lions rarely used multi-tight end sets, as those packages plummeted to just 17.5% of their plays.

Eric-Ebron-DET-Jimmy-Graham-SEA_Multi-TE-Personnel-Since-2011-OFFSEASON19-768x432.png

Bevell is now residing in the Motor City as the Lions’ offensive coordinator, which means Stafford and company can expect some more use out of the tight ends in 2019. And the team seems to fully expect that after a complete overhaul at the position, adding two through free agency and two more via the draft.

Stepping up his game significantly, Hockenson is one of just three tight ends since 2014 to earn a 90.0-plus overall grade, a 90.0-plus receiving grade, an 80.0-plus drop grade and a 70.0-plus run-blocking grade in their final college season. Coach Patricia is certainly trying to replicate the New England Patriots mold and Lions’ fans are hoping that Hockenson can be the Rob Gronkowski-esque playmaker for the offense. Hockenson should, at the very least, be the most dependable tight end Stafford has played with in his career, as the former Hawkeye dropped only two of his 75 catchable passes that came throughout his college career.

The Lions will be hoping that the third time is the charm for finding Stafford a tight end that can open the middle of the field and allow Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones Jr. to continue making plays outside. Hockenson’s ability to affect the game in multiple ways is something that Pettigrew and Ebron failed to do during their tenures in Detroit, and it should help not only Stafford but the Lions’ offense in its entirety. A second straight successful draft by Patricia and company could help the Lions rise from the cellar of the NFC North and build a winning franchise straight from the New England mold.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^

I find it difficult to believe that Wagner is in that mix. Wagner better come to the forefront this season and finally deliver as the RT BQ thought he'd be for this team.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex-Detroit Lions RB Kevin Smith facilitating pipeline to NFL as college coach

It's good to see K. Smith has found what may be his perfect niche in life. A quote from that article below.

At 32 years old, Smith already is making a name for himself in coaching circles.

In two seasons at Florida Atlantic, he’s helped send three running backs to the NFL. In 2018, FAU running back Buddy Howell signed with the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent — he now plays for the Houston Texans. And this year, the Owls joined Alabama and Texas A&M as the only programs to have two running backs drafted, Devin Singletary in Round 3 by the Buffalo Bills and Kerrith Whyte in Round 7 by the Chicago Bears.

Singletary ran for 1,988 yards and an NCAA-best 32 touchdowns in 2017, and added another 1,348 yards and 22 scores last season.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Orlovsky calls out Joe Lombardi, Mike Martz for stubbornness

“He kept calling plays that the Saints would be very good at,” Orlovsky said. “The Lions and Matthew Stafford weren’t (good at those plays). But he kept calling it, because that’s all he knew. One, that’s all he knew. Two, he saw it be successful somewhere else, so he’s like, ‘No, this works. I’ve seen it work.’”

Orlovsky has a good point about both coordinators, but it’s also a tough ask for a coach to do or teach something he’s not accustomed to. You teach what you know, and in the cases of both Martz and Lombardi, they had mastered one very specific system that saw Super Bowl-level success elsewhere. Orlovsky admits as much.

“So these coaches can watch all the cutups they want of all the motion and play action and whatnot, but if they don’t know how to teach it, they can watch all they want, they’re not going to be good at it.”

BB_72; I am not shocked at all to read what Orlovsky was calling out in this article. Like Lombardi or Martz there are many coaches, whether they are position coaches or even coordinators, who are so stuck in their system and either do not possess the ability to become versatile or refuse to do so. Jim Schwartz would be similar to the above from the defensive side. (there's many more obviously)

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly thought Roberts was going to be out of the league in a few years, but now that we tossed him to the Patriots he is a lock to be a top 5 TE withing 2 years.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly thought Roberts was going to be out of the league in a few years, but now that we tossed him to the Patriots he is a lock to be a top 5 TE withing 2 years.

I was not a fan of the pick either. He has good hands and could make a decent possession TE. He did seem to be waking up right before he got hurt too so who knows. Pats were desperate for a TE though.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not a fan of the pick either. He has good hands and could make a decent possession TE. He did seem to be waking up right before he got hurt too so who knows. Pats were desperate for a TE though.

So desperate they are willing to part with a conditional 7th round pick!

Out of all news so far, my favorite is the Lions not getting saddled with Hard Knocks

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost that conditional 7th round pick.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That trade was a quick rescind.

I didn't know Roberts had after season shoulder surgery.

Who's next on the trade train to the Hoodies ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd like to see Maryland RB Ty Johnson make the final roster and possibly become the future replacement for Riddick. He didn't get many opportunities in the pass game as a receiving option ( at Maryland) and I'm not sure about his pass-pro either but it took Riddick nearly 3 years before he became really good at the latter.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone have an early opinion or guess at what the short-term and long-term role of Tavai will be ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

I'm eager to read what Mebert thinks will happen.

Come on, don't make me wait too long.

I need a good laugh

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

I'm eager to read what Mebert thinks will happen.

Come on, don't make me wait too long.

I need a good laugh

I cant help but feel like this is targeted at my very minor overreaction at draft time.

He has been taking 1st team reps, if that was based on performance and not draft slot I would be thrilled.