• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NFL Salary Cap and Growing Contracts

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone keeps losing their minds over the amount of money the free agents are receiving this off-season. This is the new norm. Teams have enormous amounts of cap space and if they need a player at a certain position, they are going to have to pay them the 'new' market rates to get them.

Keep in mind, in 2013, the salary cap for each team was only at $123 million. This year, it is now all the way up to $188 million. Teams have craploads of space, and cash, to spend to get the players they want. Therefore, using simple supply and demand theory, the prices of the players is rising quickly.

So, keep losing your minds at every contract announcement if you want, but this is your new reality so you might want to get used to it.

NFL salary cap for 2019 season set at $188.2M

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that with the cap increasing so much, we will see a lot more bigger deals. I think mostly what people are losing their shit over though is some of these huge signings for pretty average players. At least, that's where i'm concerned. It's going to really hurt teams with good/ great players at those positions down the road I think. And from some of the signings I've seen so far, I'm not sure how much of an improvement is is for those teams giving out that big money. I actually think it will hurt them as far as depth on their roster at some point.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone keeps losing their minds over the amount of money the free agents are receiving this off-season. This is the new norm. Teams have enormous amounts of cap space and if they need a player at a certain position, they are going to have to pay them the 'new' market rates to get them.

Keep in mind, in 2013, the salary cap for each team was only at $123 million. This year, it is now all the way up to $188 million. Teams have craploads of space, and cash, to spend to get the players they want. Therefore, using simple supply and demand theory, the prices of the players is rising quickly.

So, keep losing your minds at every contract announcement if you want, but this is your new reality so you might want to get used to it.

NFL salary cap for 2019 season set at $188.2M
Good post.

Lots of ill informed parties screeching cluelessly.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that with the cap increasing so much, we will see a lot more bigger deals. I think mostly what people are losing their shit over though is some of these huge signings for pretty average players. At least, that's where i'm concerned. It's going to really hurt teams with good/ great players at those positions down the road I think. And from some of the signings I've seen so far, I'm not sure how much of an improvement is is for those teams giving out that big money. I actually think it will hurt them as far as depth on their roster at some point.

yep, we are seeing average to above average players getting much bigger money now than we did just a few years ago but if a team feels they are particularly weak at a certain position, they might want to upgrade.

Having said that, I understand what you are saying, and there IS something to be said for rebuilding with youth/through the draft and avoid pricey free agents. Look at the Patriots.... they rarely sign someone to a big contract ... they trade or let their older players walk ... and yet they continue to win year after year after year ....