• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Needs

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't listen to B+S after the playoff loss, but I'd have to imagine that Brock may just get a little beaten down by Hawks fans.

We are a pretty reactionary, negative bunch.

Heh, no wonder Salk flamed out in Boston if those guys think Seattle fans are too much to deal with.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even beyond that, what's the point of a discussion board if the response to everything is just "well the coach sees it this way"?

Heh. Exactly. So I'm disagreeing with your opinion, with MY opinion. Nice try with that though.

If you think they can 'improve,' then how is it logical to say that you don't see a scenario where they can have a good pass defense?

AGAIN, Seattle's D finished in the top half of the league. AGAIN, their pass D was rated better than their run D. How'd they do that, if their corners were such dogshit?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I don't see how anyone would want Thompson to have a prominent role going forward. He just flat out wasn't good.

I never once brought up Thompson

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What rankings are you looking at btw?

In Yards per game, Seattle ranked 10th.

In Yards per game, Seattle ranked 5th against the pass,
In Yards per game, Seattle ranked 20th against the run.

Source: NFL.com

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What? You're quoting their playoff stats. So, yes - the Seahawks are a top 5 passing defense among the 12 playoff teams for ypg during the playoffs only. Overall, they were ranked 17th in the NFL in pass defense, 13th against the run and 16th overall (yards).

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. Exactly. So I'm disagreeing with your opinion, with MY opinion. Nice try with that though.

If you think they can 'improve,' then how is it logical to say that you don't see a scenario where they can have a good pass defense?

AGAIN, Seattle's D finished in the top half of the league. AGAIN, their pass D was rated better than their run D. How'd they do that, if their corners were such dogshit?

I guess I don't understand that first line. My only point with that was there's really no purpose in any of this if we are just going to default to coaching decisions. There are plenty of times I'll disagree with what the coaching staff does. Some times, I'm clearly wrong and they're the coaches for a reason. Other times, I'd say it's pretty evident that they made a mistake. Again, I'm not sure what the "nice try" means. But anyway.

I'm genuinely curious what measure you're using for the bolded. Both traditional statistics (PR) and advanced (DVOA) suggest that wasn't the case. So, I can't really answer the question because I don't buy the premise.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never once brought up Thompson

Right, but he's the other player in my "would prefer they don't have prominent roles next year". I think we've gotten a bit crossed up in the discussion and you're under the impression that I'm talking about Shaq and Flowers both being replaced.

I want them to bring in starting alternatives for 1 outside corner, 1 slot corner and free safety. In an ideal world, I'd like to see them bring in one new outside corner, and let Shaq and Flowers compete for the other spot.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure what you're looking at (may be postseason as another poster alluded to) but the Seahawks were 17th in passing yards per game at 240.1. They were 19th in Passer Rating against. Those aren't what I would call great rankings.

And I would argue that they were a lot worse than that. The volume statistics will always be a little kinder to the Seahawks defense since the offense plays a "grind it out" running style that shortens games. The efficiency numbers for the Seahawks defense, and specifically the passing defense, are really poor.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? You're quoting their playoff stats. So, yes - the Seahawks are a top 5 passing defense among the 12 playoff teams for ypg during the playoffs only. Overall, they were ranked 17th in the NFL in pass defense, 13th against the run and 16th overall (yards).

Oops.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but he's the other player in my "would prefer they don't have prominent roles next year". I think we've gotten a bit crossed up in the discussion and you're under the impression that I'm talking about Shaq and Flowers both being replaced.

I want them to bring in starting alternatives for 1 outside corner, 1 slot corner and free safety. In an ideal world, I'd like to see them bring in one new outside corner, and let Shaq and Flowers compete for the other spot.

Well as per usual, when we drill down, there's not a lot to argue about is there?

You coulda' just started with that.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at the end of the day, I'm pretty stoked about where the franchise is headed back to. I'm getting a 2012 vibe. May I turn out to be horribly wrong? Sure. Goes without saying.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as per usual, when we drill down, there's not a lot to argue about is there?

You coulda' just started with that.

Well, I would argue that every post from me in our back and forth has been very consistent with my initial post that you took issue with. Need a new safety and a new outside starting corner. It doesn't mean that I'm 100% certain Flowers, Griffin, Thompson or whoever else will never pan out, I just think it would be reckless to go into next year without adding some more talent. Regardless of what we think of Flowers' potential going forward, he WAS a late round pick for a reason. Not every project is going to turn into Richard Sherman. If he does - great, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

at the end of the day, I'm pretty stoked about where the franchise is headed back to. I'm getting a 2012 vibe. May I turn out to be horribly wrong? Sure. Goes without saying.

I'm stoked as well. They're on the right track for sure. My comments aren't intended to suggest otherwise, I just think the secondary is the one spot they could really gain some improvements this offseason. Overall, hard to complain about a 10-6 season, given what many people thought was coming.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, and that's why I was surprised at your take. When Earl went down the secondary could have been dumpster fire bad. Epic level awful. And they weren't.

There have been FIRST ROUND, can't miss prospects at CB who have been awful. Again, this Flowers kid learned a NEW position in training camp, started from day 1, and didn't hit the wall, played the whole damn season.

That's on its own, deserving of recognition.

As for Shaq, I guess we'll see. I've got too much on my plate, and certainly don't care enough to read up on how PFF did their rankings. But if there's 100 better DB's in the league, I'll eat my nonexistent hat. We played some pretty good passing O's this season. They were a young group.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not advocating taking a WR, but AJ Brown from Ole Miss could be a target for our team. 6'1 225lbs, route runner with great hands. Probably later rounds, does not have high end speed.

I would like to see the Seahawks add some depth at WR. I think there are other considerations that deserve priority, but some depth at WR could be really helpful. Tyler Lockett had a great year, but outside of that, Baldwin was pretty banged up and is now on the wrong side of 30. After those two guys, Jaron Brown and David Moore only combined for 40 catches.

Obviously the offense the Seahawks ran doesn't rely heavily on WRs, but I'd like to see a young guy or a (cheap) established vet compete with those two guys for snaps and offer some depth in case Lockett or Baldwin suffer injuries next year.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks defense had the 3rd least amount of plays ran against them this year (955), which definitely skews the yards per game quite a bit, which, imo, makes that stat not a main measuring stick to use for a defense...

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, and that's why I was surprised at your take. When Earl went down the secondary could have been dumpster fire bad. Epic level awful. And they weren't.

There have been FIRST ROUND, can't miss prospects at CB who have been awful. Again, this Flowers kid learned a NEW position in training camp, started from day 1, and didn't hit the wall, played the whole damn season.

That's on its own, deserving of recognition.

As for Shaq, I guess we'll see. I've got too much on my plate, and certainly don't care enough to read up on how PFF did their rankings. But if there's 100 better DB's in the league, I'll eat my nonexistent hat. We played some pretty good passing O's this season. They were a young group.

To be honest, my comment wasn't mean to be a huge knock on the guys there. With the exception of Griffin, they weren't necessarily supposed to be good yet (or at all). In the span of 14 months the defense has lost 2 surefire Hall of Famers and another guy who probably could have made the HOF with a lengthier career. It's asking a lot to replace those guys.

All I was trying to say is that because of those exits and the lack of premier resources that have been dedicated to the secondary since then, it's lacking in talent. IMO, it's the weak spot of the roster and it makes sense to acquire some help. If Flowers proves me wrong and excels in year two, then great. Can never have too many good DBs.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I look at it, here's how I'd rank the Seahawks needs:

- CB
- FS
- DE/DT
- OG
- WR

I'm making a few assumptions within that:

1. Baldwin is back (move WR up otherwise)
2. One of Kendricks or KJ is back (move LB up otherwise).
3. One of Sweezy or Fluker is back (move OG up otherwise).

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the biggest SINGLE need our D needs is a bookend D end to rush the passer.

For the other side, I'd put OG up there too, I just don't see Flukker as a guy who is ever going to stay healthy. It's simple physics. He's too big to play a sport for a living.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard... Brock and Salk are always calling a spade a spade...

for the most party they defended bevell and cable tilt he very bitter end and were shocked and dismayed when both were fired.

lets face it, they want access to the team, players, and coaches to it makes sense that they kiss butts.

The way I look at it, here's how I'd rank the Seahawks needs:

- CB
- FS
- DE/DT
- OG
- WR

I'm making a few assumptions within that:

1. Baldwin is back (move WR up otherwise)
2. One of Kendricks or KJ is back (move LB up otherwise).
3. One of Sweezy or Fluker is back (move OG up otherwise).

I think it goes:

1. G
2. DE
3. S
4. OLB
5. CB
6. DT

if we lose wright and kendricks, OLB suddenly jumps to #2 I think.

things might chance after FA. since we love old vikings maybe anthony barr is an option at OLB.