• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NBA Award Finalists.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MVP- Giannis
ROY- Doncic
6th man- Sabonis
DPOY- George (led league in steals)
MIP- D'Angelo Russell
COY- Malone

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doncic's shooting went down the last few months of the season, so that one is close to me.

6th man, I can't choose between Harrell or Sabonis.

2.2 steals is pretty low for leading the league in Steals. And George has played like this before, it's not new. I can't chose between Gobert or George, no preference.

I'll give the edge to Russell for MIP, although Fox was really good too.

Not Rivers for the coach. Malone was a better coach in Sacramento. In Denver, he had young players who were supposed to improve, and he has possibly the best center in Jokic.

But this also isn't Budenholzer's best coaching job either, he was better in Atlanta. No choice for me.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Malone was a better coach in Sacroamento"

:laugh3:

He had Boogie in Sacramento his only full year & won 28 games. His first year in Denver he took a young roster of nobody's & won 33 games.

Malone took the Nuggets job 4 years ago (Joker's rookie year). And Nikola wasn't being called one of the best C's his rookie year. Or his 2nd year. Or his 3rd year in the league.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had Boogie in Sacramento his only full year & won 28 games. His first year in Denver he took a young roster of nobody's & won 33 games.

Malone took the Nuggets job 4 years ago (Joker's rookie year). And Nikola wasn't being called one of the best C's his rookie year. Or his 2nd year. Or his 3rd year in the league.

There was a thread, on another forum, about the best centers in 2016-2017, and a non-Nuggets fan suggested that Jokic be in the discussion for among the best centers. Other people then chimed in on his skills.

That was Jokic's 2nd year.

I think those Sacramento teams had less talent, and a bad roster fit, but he got them to play more consistently. It's not about the number of wins, but it's about getting them to play with some sort of system.

I will give Malone credit for getting Denver to go from last to first in 3-point defense this year.

But to me, Denver has always been deeper with more young talent, then say, Sacramento.

For example, from his first year, they had Barton, Faried, Gallinari, Harris. 3 of those guys had between a 16 - 21 PER. They were between 21 - 27 year old.

Meanwhile, in his last Sacramento year, he had McLemore, Gay, Collison, Casspi, Jason Thompson playing major minutes. 2 of those guys had a 10 PER, and the others were between 14 - 19. Casspi, Collison, Thompson, and Gay were between 26 - 28 years old.

Denver's players were a little younger, and played better.

Sacramento's players were older, and their worst ones that played major minutes were worse. Their one young player, McLemore, sucked.

Denver's younger player, Harris, was decent and getting better. Way better than McLemore.

I'm leaving Cousins and Jokic out of this, as I'm trying to focus on the other players.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nuraman can be wrong and his opinion can be different from the mainstream, but he does know what he is talking about and is usually pretty nuanced with why he thinks what he does. I mean Malone is the same guy in both situations. I think he could have possibly gotten more from less but I don’t know what I’m talking about. I’m a stats guy.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a thread, on another forum, about the best centers in 2016-2017, and a non-Nuggets fan suggested that Jokic be in the discussion for among the best centers. Other people then chimed in on his skills.

That was Jokic's 2nd year.

If that forum were still up, I'd link to it directly.

But the owner killed the server last year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally support the renaming of the award, just like the Maurice Podoloff trophy for the regular season winning record team. But this is sure ugly. I think they didn’t want to pay Nike enough to get his signature dunk.

A258F801-F901-4300-B70C-FBC5CB3130AB.jpeg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you want it to be called the Bill Russell Award? The Nike Award (Sponsored)? It was inevitable, so I support it.

But I also think that they should retroactively give us the Maurice Podoloff Award for two years ago.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you want it to be called the Bill Russell Award? The Nike Award (Sponsored)? It was inevitable, so I support it.

But I also think that they should retroactively give us the Maurice Podoloff Award for two years ago.
Don't change the name or the design.

I want the same award that was given out in the 1960s or 1950s.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3